About To Push The Button

Zuzu

A good Air cooler such as a BeQuiet or Noctua will be quieter than a sealed water cooler.

The EVGA Supernova NEX isn't that great. You only need 500W or so for a single card. The Rosewill Capstone in my spec, or the XFX XTR would both be better. The XFX has hybrid fan mode.

yeah I know crowded places and stuff will always have fps drops that's normal. Lol and to think I was about to buy a subpar $2K prebuilt worth half what I was paying from origin

A good Air cooler such as a BeQuiet or Noctua will be quieter than a sealed water cooler.

The EVGA Supernova NEX isn't that great. You only need 500W or so for a single card. The Rosewill Capstone in my spec, or the XFX XTR would both be better. The XFX has hybrid fan mode.

Okay great, but isn't a 750 a safer bet if I do plan to OC down the road?

@stconquest

Lol awesome :D but I'm using dual ips 1080 monitors so I'll only be getting 60fps not those insane amounts :P

And what do you think of BeQuiet that @lee32uk suggested? I've seen Linus use it in his silent pc video.

yeah I know crowded places and stuff will always have fps drops that's normal. Lol and to think I was about to buy a subpar $2K prebuilt worth half what I was paying from origin

=/

This is a lot of money for the performance and i think you should think and research carefully before buying anything.

for the start, if your going for a new build look at M.2 on the m/board so you can install an onboard M.2 sata drive for windows, a normal SSD is pretty much old news nowadays with the new m/boards out there. or a Pci-e card for even more storage. or a hybrid SSHD for mass storage and games.

for a good m/board Z97 and you like the Asus boards then the http://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/Z97A/

Z97-A is a real good easy to use with good onboard sound, M.2 , Sata express, all the good stuff for a good price.

and then there is the other big 3 to look into (gigabyte, Msi gaming boards and even Asrock are getting good now)

if you want quiet, change out the default case fans for good Noctua one or any good ones with low noise adaptors, foam self adesive padding helps for case insulation, Noctua rubber fan mounts (low or no vibration) the Asus Strix gpu is good as it can turn off the fans when on low load.

any moving part look into it and change to better quality or quiet versons.

got to love Asus components

@stconquest

Lol awesome :D but I'm using dual ips 1080 monitors so I'll only be getting 60fps not those insane amounts :P

He is also recording, but idk what he is using to record with.  That takes resources away.

Do you have paypal? I owe you honestly

This is a lot of money for the performance and i think you should think and research carefully before buying anything.

for the start, if your going for a new build look at M.2 on the m/board so you can install an onboard M.2 sata drive for windows, a normal SSD is pretty much old news nowadays with the new m/boards out there. or a Pci-e card for even more storage. or a hybrid SSHD for mass storage and games.

for a good m/board Z97 and you like the Asus boards then the http://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/Z97A/

Z97-A is a real good easy to use with good onboard sound, M.2 , Sata express, all the good stuff for a good price.

and then there is the other big 3 to look into (gigabyte, Msi gaming boards and even Asrock are getting good now)

if you want quiet, change out the default case fans for good Noctua one or any good ones with low noise adaptors, foam self adesive padding helps for case insulation, Noctua rubber fan mounts (low or no vibration) the Asus Strix gpu is good as it can turn off the fans when on low load.

any moving part look into it and change to better quality or quiet versons.

Expensive, but there mightbe cheaper.  http://pcpartpicker.com/part/plextor-internal-hard-drive-pxg512m6e

The Plextor is about 30% faster, sequential and random.  I don't know if is worth almost twice the price.  Good sata III SSDs are functionally fast.

Do you have paypal? I owe you honestly

lol, no...no.

I have fun doing this.  I watch movies while we talk.

Okay great, but isn't a 750 a safer bet if I do plan to OC down the road?

The GTX 970 doesn't use that much power. A 550W is plenty even if you overclock the cpu/gpu. 

If you are looking for silence though, then you could get a slightly higher capacity psu such as the XFX XTR 650W. This has hybrid fan mode, so the fan won't spin up until a certain point. There are other psu's that have this feature such as the EVGA Supernova G2.

Don't forget that overclocking the cpu or gpu will make them run louder than they do at stock, as you are introducing more heat which equals more fan noise.

The GTX 970 doesn't use that much power. A 550W is plenty even if you overclock the cpu/gpu. 

If you are looking for silence though, then you could get a slightly higher capacity psu such as the XFX XTR 650W. This has hybrid fan mode, so the fan won't spin up until a certain point. There are other psu's that have this feature such as the EVGA Supernova G2.

Don't forget that overclocking the cpu or gpu will make them run louder than they do at stock, as you are introducing more heat which equals more fan noise.

This is a great price: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-m12ii620bronze

Let's find the XFX then.  I have an XFX, runs great now for two years.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1650bbefx

XFX has their internals provided by Seasonic I believe.

With a 970 and the XFX PSU:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($368.32 @ TigerDirect Canada)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($119.98 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-AR ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($177.66 @ TigerDirect Canada)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($163.79 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($285.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card  ($398.50 @ Vuugo)
Case: NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($129.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: XFX XTR 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($99.98 @ DirectCanada)
Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-C2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($6.62 @ DirectCanada)
Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-C2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($6.62 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $1867.43 + $240 in tax
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-12 21:23 EST-0500

The 750w XFX is $20 more:  http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1750bbefx

I replaced the 1866 RAM with 1600 corsair vengeance for the same price. Good swap? I heard non OC'd comps can't utilize 1600+ anyway?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($368.32 @ TigerDirect Canada)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($119.98 @ DirectCanada)

Motherboard: Asus Z97-AR ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($177.66 @ TigerDirect Canada)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($169.99 @ Canada Computers)

Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($228.98 @ DirectCanada)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($398.50 @ Vuugo)

Case: NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.99 @ Memory Express)

Power Supply: XFX XTR 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.98 @ NCIX)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.98 @ DirectCanada)

Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-C2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($6.62 @ DirectCanada)

Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-C2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($6.62 @ DirectCanada)

Total: $1831.62

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-12 21:40 EST-0500

@Zuzu Yeah, that RAM is fine.  Your computer would be able to register that 1866 MHz Ram speed btw, even without an overclock.

If you want to start dropping the price, we go into a blue theme :P Only saves around $50...but you know.

how much more beneficial would 1866 be over 1600 without OC?

ok real world numbers...1 sec...

1866 - 0.00535 second request response time

1600 - 0.00625 seconds

:lol: 1-2 fps baby!  ...if that.

Time for my beauty sleep.  Remember, after you finalize your build (and yours is, and has been, ready to go), sit on it a day or two if you can.  Look for sales, deals...anything to cut costs.  Now I am not saying wait forever.  Just a day or two.  If something in your build is already on sale, grab it.  You'll be fine :)

I remember finding an ASUS Z77 Sabertooth for a friend at $160 from $230 (openbox) from newegg.  Beautiful mobo.

Welp didnt see the 4 pages of comments and the edits to the part list so this is all not needed anymore.. butiwont delete it just incase

The i7 4790k and H97 Board conflict each other.    EDIT  - conflict is the wrong word, they will work just fine, but you won't get everything out of the i7 as you could.

If i was you I would definitely upgrade that to the Z97 because for just a few extra dollars you can get some future proofing.

When I built my first computer I ended up doing the opposite I got an i5 2500 and an z68 board.  Board capable of use and CPU Not.

I didn't think it was an issue until here I am 3 years later looking to upgrade, whereas I might have been able to squeeze more time in the form of performance (the reason I'm upgrading) out of my chip.

I didn't think id want to OC, but now I do.  If I was to give my recommendation, I would say get the z97 it will eliminate a probable headache down the road.

Also, I have that same SSD.  if you plan to game on this build count on getting a 1tb HDD or another/bigger SSD as my BF4 game is 55+GB alone.  In fact, my SSD is 70% full without a single game or movie or song on it.  I keep those all in a separate HDD

But good luck, other say to build it yourself, but if you don't feel comfortable doing that then you don't have to.  

Good luck buddy

I have recently completed my build with a 970 4gb and the 4790k not overclocked despite have a nice Z97 board from Asrock I also used an EVGA Supernova 750 Watt psu as suggested earlier however I used the G1 edition and not the G2 since G1 was on sale for significantly less after rebates.  I think both are great PSU since I have not had any issues with mine since finishing my build back in December of last year. I push my system really hard, hard as in over 30 tabs with youtube on a couple of them, spotify, Norton 360 & Malwarebytes, MS Word 2013 with essay that I should be working on, Steam, Eclipse, MSI Afterburner, Samsung Magician, and possibly Dota 2 in the background for when I want a break.  Hehe I have all of these going on pretty much everyday.  I think I have a serious open tab problem. 

I can run nearly all of my steam games (including Crysis 2 and Batman Arham Origins) at maxed out at 1440p on my Asus PB278q over display port. Also FC4 and ACU are also running almost completely maxed out with shaders. All of the games are running over 40 fps average. 

It was $1,404 USD tax included when I purchased my parts back in December.

tl.dr

The 4790k, GTX 970, 16gb of ram is the ultimate build with a balance between value and performance.  5/5 would build again. Only exception is that I may upgrade to 32gb ram when I have the extra cash cause you can never have too much ram for VM's :D

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/DnKZxr

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/krv2TW  Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/krv2TW/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($318.75 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($151.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  ($159.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($123.87 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($77.75 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($359.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1462.29
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-12 23:45 EST-0500

Main Rig

**CPU** | [Intel Core i7-4790K @ Stock]**CPU Cooler** | [Corsair H100i] **Motherboard** | [ASRock Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard]

**Memory** | [G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory] **Storage** | [Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive]

**Storage** | [Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM] **Video Card** | [Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE]

**Case** | [Phanteks Enthoo Pro] **Power Supply** | [EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+]

Main Rig PC Partpicker  

| https://pcpartpicker.com/b/DnKZxr |

Why did you select trident RAM over say, sniper or ripjaw x?