Google Won't Patch Security Hole affecting 1 billion users on Android, despite bashing on Microsoft

GoodBytes

It's funny. If it were Vista let alone Windows 7, people would freak out, and start banning Windows.

But Google? "Ah it's 2 year old.. so what... it's manufacture faults." Google gets free pass, basically.

Hypocrite much?

Google should have a structure for deploying updates that is not dependence on carriers like Apple. They are FREAKING Google, you are telling me they can't do this?

You think a skin is THE reason why manufactures blocks it? Or rather they want to push you to buy a new phone rather?

Same for carrier blocking updates

Google can make it's own infrastructure. They can go: "If you want the latest Android, because it's not from your manufacture your skin might not be there anymore. Are you sure you want to download?"

Welcome to the internet, lets shit down MSs throat for anything but lets give Google a pass if they make the same mistake. 

Is Google really telling us that Google can't muster up the resources to patch things like this? Really? They're taking the "OEMs problem, not ours" approach? 

How would that sound if MS said "OEMs should make their patches for our OS, not our problem?". We'd burn Redmond to the ground for starters. 

It's funny. If it were Vista let alone Windows 7, people would freak out, and start banning Windows.

But Google? "Ah it's 2 year old.. so what... it's manufacture faults." Google gets free pass, basically.

Hypocrite much?

My thoughts on the situation in a nutshell.

4.4 was updated, any phone that can't update past 4.4 is the manufacture's and/or phone company's responsibility.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

4.4 was updated, any phone that can't update past 4.4 is the manufacture's and/or phone company's responsibility.

When you have have close to 1 billion users not on 4.4, much like the many users that were on XP, you extend the support, much like Microsoft did with XP.

And even when the end of the extended support ended, Microsoft still did an exception for a critical security hole. That is a 14 year old OS.

Here 2 years, and Google can't give a damn, and say pretty much: too bad for you, go buy a new Android phone. Even Apple doesn't go that low.

I am sorry, but Google used to be cool, but that was many years ago. In the recent several years, they haven't. And they are getting worst and worst every year.

Maybe Google can't do much because of the carriers but they created this situation. Waiting on carriers or manufacturers to push updates is just terrible. That's why Apple brute forced their way of doing things. It was clearly stated right at the begining, we're pushing updates. If you don't want to, you're not carrying the iPhone on your network. Simple as that.

With Windows Phone it's the same. Updates get terrible delays, waiting to get validated by the carriers. At least, pretty much all devices are available. I enabled the developper preview on mine and get the updates directly from Microsoft as they are available... As it should be. It's great.

Google should rethink the way they can push updates to the Android's core. Carriers & manufacturers stuff shouldn't be affected by it and be updated on their own schedule. So you could get updates from Google and some from manufacturers or carriers.

Problems Apple doesn't have because they shoved their fist's up the asses of the carriers and told them who was in charge. Meanwhile, Google has a million fists up their giant asshole.

How would that sound if MS said "OEMs should make their patches for our OS, not our problem?". We'd burn Redmond to the ground for starters. 

You're an idiot. This was already patched in Android 4.4, Google already fixed it so there is no point in going back to it. It is on the OEM's and carriers to push out the updates. No one fucking said that Google was pushing the patchwork to the OEM's, but rather that the OEM's need to roll out the patches made by Google.

You're an idiot. This was already patched in Android 4.4, Google already fixed it so there is no point in going back to it. It is on the OEM's and carriers to push out the updates. No one fucking said that Google was pushing the patchwork to the OEM's, but rather that the OEM's need to roll out the patches made by Google.

Would like having no security updates, and if you want them fixed you have to buy a new version of Windows? 'cause that is what Google is doing to it's near billions of users,. or if you prefer 60% of them. Buy a new phone, and unlike Windows it's not 100$, it's ~120-150$ minimum, where most don't have a Moto G or E.

Google could have released a patch specifically for Jelly Bean. And if it's fixed on 4.4, it should take a sec to do, as the patch is already done.

So no, he not an idiot, Google is trying to find a way to screw consumers to buy new phones, as they know that 60% (their own numbers) are still on Jelly Bean

Here's my answer to all the people saying Google couldn't do it because carriers/manufacturers. Google already has a way around this that they have been using for years. Google updates all of their Google apps independently from the OS via their Play Store. All they would have to do is create an independent app like Google Play Services for security and push out security patches through that.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Would like having no security updates, and if you want them fixed you have to buy Windows? 'cause that is what Google is doing to it's near billions of users,. or if you prefer 60% of them. Buy a new phone, and unlike Windows it's not 100$, it's ~120-150$ minimum, where most don't have a Moto G or E.

Google could have released a patch specifically for Jelly Bean. And if it's fixed on 4.4, it should take a sec to do, as the patch is already done.

So no, he not an idiot, Google is trying to find a way to screw consumers to buy new phones, as they know that 60% (their own numbers) are still on Jelly Bean

Even if they had released the patch, how would it get to the phones if carriers are so far behind releasing them?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Here's my answer to all the people saying Google couldn't do it because carriers/manufacturers. Google already has a way around this that they have been using for years. Google updates all of their Google apps independently from the OS via their Play Store. All they would have to do is create an independent app like Google Play Services for security and push out security patches through that.

The fault is inside an android library. You can't change it with an application. (not unless you're rooted and maybe flash some fancy stuff...idk)

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

The fault is inside an android library. You can't change it with an application. (not unless you're rooted and maybe flash some fancy stuff...idk)

Samsung already does exactly what I described.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Samsung already does exactly what I described.

Example?

Hypocrite much?

Google should have a structure for deploying updates that is not dependence on carriers like Apple. They are FREAKING Google, you are telling me they can't do this?

You think a skin is THE reason why manufactures blocks it? Or rather they want to push you to buy a new phone rather?

Same for carrier blocking updates

Google can make it's own infrastructure. They can go: "If you want the latest Android, because it's not from your manufacture your skin might not be there anymore. Are you sure you want to download?"

Actually Apple's update system is dependent on carriers, they just coordinate a release cycle. Android OEMs are generally only forced to provide a 2 year software support update cycle anyways. So yeah, it has a lot to do with the carriers and with OEMs.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Example?

My Note 3 randomly got a security update couple of months ago. It was not a system update. If I look at the application manager, the update appears as a downloaded app.

My Note 3 randomly got a security update couple of months ago. It was not a system update. If I look at the application manager, the update appears as a downloaded app.

Yeah, it got an OTA update, it didn't download an app from the play store.

In order to change any android class in the library you'd probably need to have root access(if not something else), and applications certainly don't get those (unless you're rooted). However, OTA updates are different and they can do that. And here is our problem again , Google doesn't push out the OTA updates, carriers do.

Yeah, it got an OTA update, it didn't download an app from the play store.

In order to change any android class in the library you'd probably need to have root access(if not something else), and applications certainly don't get those (unless you're rooted). However, OTA updates are different and they can do that. And here is our problem again , Google doesn't push out the OTA updates, carriers do.

There are lots of apps that come with your phone that get special permissions that allows them to do stuff that normally requires root access.

When Google first pushed out the 4.4 update, file manager apps couldn't view the SD CARD without root access because of the changes in the permissions. But Samsung's file manager could because it had special permissions.

There are lots of apps that come with your phone that get special permissions that allows them to do stuff that normally requires root access.

When Google first pushed out the 4.4 update, file manager apps couldn't view the SD CARD without root access because of the changes in the permissions. But Samsung's file manager could because it had special permissions.

"that come with your phone"

"that come with your phone"

Yes. And here we are at Android 5, Google is still yet to do something that they could have done for years if not from the beginning. Maybe it will come with Android 6.

Although considering Android STILL doesn't have "undo" feature, I am not holding my breath.

So, why did many PCs stick on XP even when 8(.1) was around?

This sounds like a problem with the phone manufacturer's, not Google. Google patched it in 4.4, did they not? So this is the manufacturer's faults, not Google's. They can't (or shouldn't) force them to update to 4.4 or higher.

misleading title

This.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Would like having no security updates, and if you want them fixed you have to buy Windows? 'cause that is what Google is doing to it's near billions of users,. or if you prefer 60% of them. Buy a new phone, and unlike Windows it's not 100$, it's ~120-150$ minimum, where most don't have a Moto G or E.

Again, its not Google's fault, its the fault of the retarded OEM's and cll providers, get your facts straight.

No, it still would not have been pushed out.

Again, you clearly don't know what you are talking about, the carriers and OEM's are the ones trying to gat people to buy new hardware. Google only gives a shit of people are using their services because that's how they make money.

Again, its not Google's fault, its the fault of the retarded OEM's and cll providers, get your facts straight.

No, it still would not have been pushed out.

Again, you clearly don't know what you are talking about, the carriers and OEM's are the ones trying to gat people to buy new hardware. Google only gives a shit of people are using their services because that's how they make money.

Yes. Google is poor, and needs to use carrier servers to distribute their patches. PooHoo.

With their billions of dollars they can't say "screw it, plug your Android phone on your computer, here is a program for Mac and Windows, run it, and it will patch it".

Clearly Google doesn't have the resources for this.

Clearly Google can't go and say to their carrier: We know you are selling Android phones and they are very popular.. you know what.. you won't be selling any phones, unless we do like Apple and allow us to distribute patches and fixes, and manufacture can distribute their Android OS version updates. Don't like it. too bad, have fun selling those Windows Phone, and dumb phones. Your competitor said yes.

Very hard for Google, to do these options, especially today.

Yes. Google is poor, and needs to use carrier servers to distribute their patches. PooHoo.

With their billions of dollars they can't say "screw it, plug your Android phone on your computer, here is a problem for Mac and Windows, run it, and it will patch it".

Clearly Google doesn't have the resources for this.

Clearly Google can't go and say to their carrier: We know you are selling Android phones and they are very popular.. you know what.. you won't be selling any phones, unless we do like Apple and allow us to distribute patches and fixes, and manufacture can distribute their Android OS version updates. Don't like it. too bad, have fun selling those Windows Phone, and dumb phones. Your competitor said yes.

Very hard for Google, to do these options, especially today.

Of all the brilliant things any company has done in tech, Apple might get a top 10 for simply bullying carriers into submission and their way of doing things. 

Apple devices? Not always OTA (a more recent addition) but they were always from iTunes. Doesn't matter what carrier on what country. You got the OS update within HOURS of it being released, if not sooner. Apple takes no fucks from carriers on adding their own nonsense a vast majority of the time. 

I'm glad Apple has such a "GTFO" attitude with its business. Get onboard to get left behind. Its why Apple Pay, despite just being tokenized NFC, is finally pushing NFC into the mainstream in a way that Google could've and damn well should've done but didn't. Sorry Google, you keep tossing your own homeruns but forget to actually hit them and execute. Grow some balls and stop laying blame. 

Its just sad. They are happy to throw MS under the bus over a patch that was 2 days away, yet they pull this "not my problem, go ask them" bullshit with their own OS. Just pathetic.