Best Motherboard for me

Hey LTT peeps...

Like I mentioned in a previous thread am thinking of upgrading from an LG2011 v1 to LGA2011 v3 this summer. Only I have no idea what board would be best for me. I am the kind of users tat don't have lots of $$$ so gotta be something mid-range. What I need mainly is stability unlike my current GA-X79-UP4 by Gigabyte which has been a nightmare since day one. And no can't RMA or Return we don't have that here sadly.

- Well let me describe my issues with my current Mobo first so you see why am a bit confused.

Since buying the GA-X79-UP4 and putting PC together, I tried powering it on, with no success. I am Hardware guy so I know how to build PCs. Anyways, tried every trick up my sleeve, still it wouldn't power on. I began thinking it was DOA. But I called Gigabyte support via Skype using what Credits I had left on it, since it was an International call. And we went through the usual steps. Until we reached the point of no return, the guy asked me to "Jump Start" the board. Yes that's exactly the way he put it. Which meant I had to use a screw driver on the power pins to bypass the power button. At that point I was scared out of my pants since I have never heard of such a way to power on a board.

Still that did the trick, IT POSTED !!! I then got message that Bios was corrupt and began restoring from backup one. Thank GOD for this type of DUAL Bios... I then proceeded to set things up and installed OS + Downloaded drivers. At this point I was up and running withing 2 hours. I was happy as little kid opening his presents.

Only my excitement was short lived, coz as soon as I plugged in my 2TB USB3.0 external HDD, a WD Elements drive, and started copying stuff from it, it would eject itself, so I had to unplug, re-plug it in to continue. I thought it was an issue with port so I tried the only other port available, same thing. It had to be the drive itself right ? WRONG ! I tried another 3 drives and USB3 Thumb Drives. SAME FREAKING THING !!! 

Bottom line is, folks, that I have been living with these issues since early 2012 when I got my board. I still have to "Jump Start" the board every no n again if PC unexpectedly shuts down, and USB3.0 has been a nightmare. So for now I will not buy another Gigabyte mobo as long as I live. Now I know some of you will tell me that those issues are unique to me. Still I hate their UEFI implementation.

- Now on to what my requirements in a mobo are.

So after reading the above, I will say this, I much prefer ASUS boards coz my older rig has the very 1st Maximus Extreme board, and that system dates all the way back to 2008. And I never ever had any issues with it. That said, I require the following features,

- Tons of SATA III not 2. Since SATA 3 is backwards compatible with 2. (I dunno why Manufacturers keep dedicated SATA 2 ports.)

- Thunderbold 1 or 2 don't care. 

- Stability (Especially with USB3)

- 8 RAM DiMMs

- Tons of USB3 ports on the back

- Black or Grey Color Scheme (Optional)

- Best Audio on board.

That's it really. I do trust ASUS more than others, but which model is best for me I dunno. 

Any help would be much appreciated ;)

~ My Current Build ~

PC-Part Picker Full List |

| AsRock x570 Tai Chi | AMD Ryzen 5 3600x @ 3.8Ghz | 
| ROG STRiX GTX 1080 8Gb GDDR5X | TeamGroup Delta "R" 32GB DDR4 @3000Mhz RGB |
| Corsair Obsidian 750D | Corsair RM750x (2018) | ROG Horus GK2000 RGB | Logi MX Ergo TrackBall |

| Boot : 256gb SMG 960 Evo nVme | Profile Drive : 1TB SMG 860 Evo SATA | Games : 1TB SMG 970 Evo nVme |

More Info....

I recommend for u a asus ws bord. I can't find any board with thunderbolt though. 

CPU: Intel I7 4790K 4.8 Ghz || Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87 || Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz || GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX || Storage: 2 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB RAID 0 HDD Western Digital 1 TB Black || PSU: Corsair AX 860 watt || Cooling: 2 x AF 140mm (front), 2 AF120 Blue LED (bottom and back), 2 SP120 (top on radiator) ||  CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX || Case: Corsair obsidian 750D <3 <3 <3 

There will probably be new X99 mobos with usb 3.1 being released this summer so watch out for those. My recommendation would be the asrock x99 WS. You can use theasus thunderex II with it. There is jo x99 mobo with a thunderbolt port built in.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

You mean ASUS X99 E-WS? It's kinda pricey ain't it?

I don't trust ASRock... And don't care for USB3.1...

~ My Current Build ~

| Corsair Obsidian 750D | Corsair RM750x (2018) | ROG Horus GK2000 RGB | Logi MX Ergo TrackBall |

| Boot : 256gb SMG 960 Evo nVme | Profile Drive : 1TB SMG 860 Evo SATA | Games : 1TB SMG 970 Evo nVme |

More Info....

You mean ASUS X99 E-WS? It's kinda pricey ain't it?

I don't trust ASRock... And don't care for USB3.1...

Asrock is on top with asus in terms of board stability in the X99 platform. The WS is a great option as it combines high quality with a good BIOS (like the asus x99 ws-e just a little cheaper and therefore also a little less features).
Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Asrock is on top with asus in terms of board stability in the X99 platform. The WS is a great option as it combines high quality with a good BIOS (like the asus x99 ws-e just a little cheaper and therefore also a little less features).

Can you provide an exact model number for ASRock please? Will check it out...

Thanks

~ My Current Build ~

More Info....

Delete

~ My Current Build ~

More Info....

Delete me

~ My Current Build ~

More Info....

Is there a reason you wouldn't buy another LGA2011 v1 board to save you the cost of having to buy an entirely new CPU and DDR4 RAM?

i7-4930k Workstation | Macbook Pro Retina w/Windows 10

If you want to survive out here, you've got to know where your towel is.

Is there a reason you wouldn't buy another LGA2011 v1 board to save you the cost of having to buy an entirely new CPU and DDR4 RAM?

It's not worth spending $ on the same platform. Might swell upgrade. Unless I won't be gaining much in the upgrade. I dunno. Might save up for another year in that case.

~ My Current Build ~

More Info....

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99%20WS/

Model number varies by region.

Thanks. But dunno how reputable the ASRock brand is. I never seen many Pro-Sumers use it or mention it even. Needs more research... I trust ASUS n EVGA and maybe MSI... 

~ My Current Build ~

More Info....

Thanks. But dunno how reputable the ASRock brand is. I never seen many Pro-Sumers use it or mention it even. Needs more research... I trust ASUS n EVGA and maybe MSI... 

Linus is using the Asus x79 deluxe board for his whole room watercooling project

you can see if the board fits your use and budget

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I know but he has a high end CPU. I can't afford that. Won't switching architecture help while getting the 5820k for example?

~ My Current Build ~

More Info....

I know but he has a high end CPU. I can't afford that. Won't switching architecture help while getting the 5820k for example?

Sure, you'll most likely benefit from a new CPU like the 5820K, especially if you are coming from the 3820 or 4820K.

Asrock doesn't sponsor a lot. All the "prosumers" like Linus, TTL, OC3D get the motherboards FOR FREE.

I have owned 2 asrock boards, 1 asus board and 2 gigabyte boards and i vouch for asrock in terms of system stability as they have never let me down and i usually get the best and most stable overclocks (especially with my 4670k w/ asrock z87 extreme4 (now used by my brother)).

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Awesome so will consider ASRock. And the X99-Deluxe.

thanks.

~ My Current Build ~

More Info....