World’s first (known) bootkit for OS X can permanently backdoor Macs

BluntestTech

Nothing about that is incorrect. Mac's do not in fact get PC virus's. It's word tricks, but still correct in it's literal statement.

Word tricks that will (and obviously have) mislead non-tech-savvy users, who think that any computer is a "PC".

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

nope, youre on a high horse. apple knows (and has always known) their customer base. they can say "Apple wont get PC viruses" which is a completly legitimate statement, and is true, since windows kernel binaries dont work on unix without binary translation. but they also know that their customers will interpret it as "Apple doesnt get viruses", which is of course completly false, but is a great marketing strategy. now stop shitting on 3 different people proving you wrong, youre not patrick for gods sake :P

I never shit on people. That's rude behavior and assault in most of the world.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Word tricks that will (and obviously have) mislead non-tech-savvy users, who think that any computer is a "PC".

If taking money from stupid people is wrong 90% of the tech world would be shut down. 

Nothing about that is incorrect. Mac's do not in fact get PC virus's. It's word tricks, but still correct in it's literal statement.

What's funny is that it is wrong in the literal sense (because Macs are personal computers) and it's made to mislead people into thinking Macs don't get any malware.

How anyone can try to say Apple isn't misleading people is beyond me. The reality distortion field didn't die with Jobs.

What's funny is that it is wrong in the literal sense (because Macs are personal computers) and it's made to mislead people into thinking Macs don't get any malware.

How anyone can try to say Apple isn't misleading people is beyond me. The reality distortion field didn't die with Jobs.

While that is true, Apple has always stated they were not PC's and everyone knows them for being a "mac". All companies do this, so I'm not too concerned with it. Apple is just really good at it. 

While that is true, Apple has always stated they were not PC's and everyone knows them for being a "mac". All companies do this, so I'm not too concerned with it. Apple is just really good at it. 

Have they actually stated that a Mac is not a personal computer, or just implied it? Because the "Apple hasn't done anything wrong" side was up until this point really literal and not "just because you interpret it that way doesn't make it true".

So again, it boggles my mind how anyone can defend them. Apple is wrong in the literal sense and their fanbase is wrong when they interpret it as well. Now stop defending a company for misleading their consumers please.

Everyone's already said what I would say so I'll just say this:

Nelson_Ha-Ha.jpg

Have they actually stated that a Mac is not a personal computer, or just implied it? Because the "Apple hasn't done anything wrong" side was up until this point really literal and not "just because you interpret it that way doesn't make it true".

So again, it boggles my mind how anyone can defend them. Apple is wrong in the literal sense and their fanbase is wrong when they interpret it as well. Now stop defending a company for misleading their consumers please.

Answer:

cogDisMeter.png

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Isn't this the exact reason why thunderbolt isn't adopted on pc yet? Because the thunderbolt standard allows this to happen

What makes it different from usb

You're confusing my opinion with a defense for apple. 

Obviously not this same "bootki", but the vulnerability will still exist for Windows PCs. It is the same Thunderbolt interface plugging in to the same PCH which has the same level of access to system memory, device firmware, storage media and the CPU.

Yes.. That much is obvious. I think you missed the point though. It was a joke.

What makes it different from usb

Its a more direct hardware interface, with a special controller chip thingy, but I'm hardly an expert on it. I believe it also has something to do with the new UEFI stuff, but you d have to look it yourself

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Nah I know my stuff it just your only getting it the wrong way.

Oh, my mistake, you know your stuff. Jeez I hope you manage to get somewhere in the workplace with the attitude and comprehension level that you posses.

Oh, my mistake, you know your stuff. Jeez I hope you manage to get somewhere in the workplace with the attitude and comprehension level that you posses.

My attitude jeez look at the mirror I explained and you just pushed my opinion away like you can't be wrong.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

ok guise just put glue in your thunderbolt ports. thatll fix it!

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

My attitude jeez look at the mirror I explained and you just pushed my opinion away like you can't be wrong.

Well, when you're objectively wrong, there's not much I can do to help you.

boy oh boy am i ever glad i got rid of my mac 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

Well, when you're objectively wrong, there's not much I can do to help you.

Yeah sure I'm wrong because I don't know English right ?? have a nice day with your ignorance.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

In the video, PC has a virus. Mac says he won't contract the virus - Windows compatible viruses don't affect Macs. What part is making you think that Apple has claimed Macs don't get viruses at all?

Keep in mind that at the time this commercial was made, viruses on Macs were essentially non-existent, and was made before any substantial threats were present, unless you can provide sources that show otherwise.

'Macs don't get PC (referring to Windows based computers) viruses'.

The above statement is true.

If you're going to post shitty Reddit comic memes and admit that your reasoning is 'close enough', just give up.

No high horse, just calling people out on their bullshit.

You can interpret it to imply literally anything, it doesn't make it true.

A Mac is a PC, so the statement is a lie. If they'd said Mac's don't get Windows based virus then you'd be on to something. But the Mac is a Personal computer like any Windows or Linux based PC is a PC. They've touted the no viruses claim for yearrrss. And the reason they had to get rid of it in the UK is the statement was false advertising since it does directly claim that they don't get viruses. There are no "PC viruses". All of this is firmly reinforced by the UK courts forcing Apple to change its straight up false claim to be "PC virus proof".

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

I already know the answer, I looked it up before I submitted the comment.

They said that Macs don't get Windows viruses, that's it.

Yeah, so Windows should advertise that it doesn't get human viruses...

A Mac is a PC, so the statement is a lie. If they'd said Mac's don't get Windows based virus then you'd be on to something. But the Mac is a Personal computer like any Windows or Linux based PC is a PC. They've touted the no viruses claim for yearrrss. And the reason they had to get rid of it in the UK is the statement was false advertising since it does directly claim that they don't get viruses. There are no "PC viruses". All of this is firmly reinforced by the UK courts forcing Apple to change its straight up false claim to be "PC virus proof".

Apple is/was pertaining to the popularist term for Windows based computers. It was used ever since IBM started using Windows and became a giant in the home computer market.

OBVIOUSLY by definition a Mac is a personal computer,but the term 'PC' has always been used in reference to Windows computers. I don't understand why people have such a hard time grasping this. The only thing it is claiming is that Macs don't get Windows viruses, that's it. If you still don't get it, just give up.

I'm forgetting you probably fall into the majority demographic of LLT users who is 16 and knows nothing about the history of computers. Why do I even bother...

So first to contribute to this topic.  This is what is always scary about things like thunderbolt, in order to get the high speed low latency they basically get direct access to the hardware (and if I remember correctly direct access to ram).  This is why it is worse than thing such as badusb.  In the badusb case you would need to still run the exploit code and thus it should be easier to prevent with anti-virus and such.  If I understand this exploit correctly, they would be able to do this basically behind the scenes without the operating system being able to intervene.

Apple is/was pertaining to the popularist term for Windows based computers. It was used ever since IBM started using Windows and became a giant in the home computer market.

OBVIOUSLY by definition a Mac is a personal computer,but the term 'PC' has always been used in reference to Windows computers. I don't understand why people have such a hard time grasping this. The only thing it is claiming is that Macs don't get Windows viruses, that's it. If you still don't get it, just give up.

I'm forgetting you probably fall into the majority demographic of LLT users who is 16 and knows nothing about the history of computers. Why do I even bother...

I am sorry, but you are nitpicking at small details without looking at the larger picture...Apple was essentially using word play to trick viewers into believing a falsehood.  If a company makes a commercial saying things like "I don't get the current virus going around" and then continue on the trend with "doesn't get PC viruses", then they are playing into the false idea that macs didn't get viruses.  Yes they aren't technically saying Macs were immune, but frankly that doesn't matter in the grander scheme.  When you advertise you need to do so so the general audience is able to understand what you are stating, and many people misunderstood the concept "doesn't get PC viruses" as more secure and safe.  That doesn't make them stupid either *which is something you claimed earlier*, everyone has gaps in knowledge and back in those days how was a non-techy suppose to understand.

It is sort of like medication commercials, when they list the side-effects they really aren't allowed to use the technical terms.  You never hear things like "side effect may include myocardial infarction" because if they did most people wouldn't understand it.

So ultimately what I am saying is this.  Apple targeted the ads towards people who didn't know about the technical side, and by doing so was falsely advertising as it created a culture of people who believe Macs were virus free (which btw was a good 80% based of the people I had to correct back in the day).  And again that doesn't make the people who believed it stupid

0b10111010 10101101 11110000 00001101

Nobody has a hard time grasping that "ohh Apple meant viruses designed to run on Windows". The problem is that the Apple defense force is talking against each other. You are saying you shouldn't take marketing literally (by the way, making claims like that can be classified as false advertisement which is illegal) and that other guy was saying you should take it literally.

The problem here is that Apple was literally wrong, and they were figuratively wrong as well (which is why they then changed their advertisements).

• Is a Mac a personal computer? Yes.
  • Is saying a Mac can't get PC viruses (remember, most fanboys will only remember and repeat the "Macs can't get viruses" part) false? It's a half truth but it's designed to mislead people (assuming that by "PC" they are referring to PCs that specifically run Windows although that is left for the audience to figure out).
  • Is Apple guilty of not correcting this misinformation they helped spread (that Macs don't get any malware)? Absolutely yes. All they have done is add fuel to the fire of ignorance. They have never tried to extinguish it, and for obvious reasons. They benefit from people thinking Macs can't get viruses.
  • Is Apple guilty of ignoring security issues, even going as far as to instruct their employees to not help customers who might have malware on their machines? Yes Apple most certainly is.

I don't see how you can be so blind to even think that Apple deserves any protection regarding this. Usually I can kind of get why Apple fanboys defend Apple when they do something bad, because there is usually some rational for it. In this case they have just fed people misinformation, people have misinterpreted the misinformation (making the problem even worse) and Apple just went "great, we will totally make more money from this!" and ignore it. Stop defending a multibillion dollar company who are screwing their customers.

Feel free to defend them about other stuff, but they are just flat out wrong about this.

Nobody has a hard time grasping that "ohh Apple meant viruses designed to run on Windows". The problem is that the Apple defense force is talking against each other. You are saying you shouldn't take marketing literally (by the way, making claims like that can be classified as false advertisement which is illegal) and that other guy was saying you should take it literally.

The problem here is that Apple was literally wrong, and they were figuratively wrong as well (which is why they then changed their advertisements).

• Is a Mac a personal computer? Yes.
  • Is saying a Mac can't get PC viruses (remember, most fanboys will only remember and repeat the "Macs can't get viruses" part) false? It's a half truth but it's designed to mislead people (assuming that by "PC" they are referring to PCs that specifically run Windows although that is left for the audience to figure out).
  • Is Apple guilty of not correcting this misinformation they helped spread (that Macs don't get any malware)? Absolutely yes. All they have done is add fuel to the fire of ignorance. They have never tried to extinguish it, and for obvious reasons. They benefit from people thinking Macs can't get viruses.
  • Is Apple guilty of ignoring security issues, even going as far as to instruct their employees to not help customers who might have malware on their machines? Yes Apple most certainly is.
I don't see how you can be so blind to even think that Apple deserves any protection regarding this. Usually I can kind of get why Apple fanboys defend Apple when they do something bad, because there is usually some rational for it. In this case they have just fed people misinformation, people have misinterpreted the misinformation (making the problem even worse) and Apple just went "great, we will totally make more money from this!" and ignore it. Stop defending a multibillion dollar company who are screwing their customers.

Feel free to defend them about other stuff, but they are just flat out wrong about this.

Oh, I see - I'm a fanboy because people are too dumb to comprehend basic word appropriation. I don't even own any Apple products, save for an iPod Nano I bought second hand to use while exercising.

I am the last to defend inappropriate corporate behavior, but it baffles me that people who think they're tech enthusiasts can't figure out something so basic Macs not being able to get Windows viruses, the fact being stated using the term PC.

All I've done really is defend this basic point, but I guess I'm a fanboy because you guys think no one is able to read between the lines, which probably accounts for very small abount of Mac sales. Hardly something that Apple marketing would rely on. Project more.

This is nonsense. The PC came about long before Windows was even concieved. Perhaps your own history of computers needs some more work ;)

From http://www.macmothership.com

LBPage1t.jpg

It is also derailing the thread which started off being quite interesting.