Anthrax 8.0 - Let's build it again!

TheProfosist

Lol, What kind of a reply is that? :P

miku need new pc. miku.

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

"what you do in spite of internet speed is inspiring. :3" From Cae - 2015

Eh, I would just make all the cables from scratch tbh. Makes cable management a complete breeze and you can reach obscene levels of neatness, it's also not that much harder and more laborious than sleeving the cables to begin with. It would certainly allow you to get all the HDD wires etc. into a simple to manage state. I mean there's not that much there, just seemingly a massive number of wires.

Curious about what you mean with the watercooling, hope it lives up to expectations.

Finished Projects: Loramentum, VesperModerne, ExsectusAetos

Current Project: Parvum Argentum

Eh, I would just make all the cables from scratch tbh. Makes cable management a complete breeze and you can reach obscene levels of neatness, it's also not that much harder and more laborious than sleeving the cables to begin with. It would certainly allow you to get all the HDD wires etc. into a simple to manage state. I mean there's not that much there, just seemingly a massive number of wires.

Curious about what you mean with the watercooling, hope it lives up to expectations.

This would also mean if I changed certain things go I would have to get whole new wires made. My computer is not a show piece but a work horse that is going to happen to look good. This means that everything has to be relatively easy to get at, unplug, and replace. Especially that RAID array.

I'm also 100% certain that most of this saying it's messy is because of all the extra PCI-E cables on the back. But please tell me if I'm wrong. Basically the PCI-E cables that came with the PSU just, and I mean just didn't make it through the closer grommets. Then it was easier for me to go through the farther grommets. But because this case is so massive with only a 1ft extension the connector would right inside the case visible like the 24pin happens to me. I already had a longer 24pin sleeved but idk what I'm going to do about the gpu's as I'm going to have to use the closer grommets now that the second rad covers the farther ones.

May I ask what you mean by not that much there? Because besides the open bit for the dual socket MB basically every slot is full with something. The hard drives all have a capacitated power splitter and the SATA cables going to them are clean, orderly, and easy to distinguish. Actually when you have that many drives this is about the best way of doing it that I know without some sort of backplane.

To give you an idea what is all in there are 5 HDD's, 3 SSD's, 2 BD-RW Drives (running off an internal usb 2.0 header), a 2x 5.25 to 3x 3.5 HDD hotswap Bay (only 2 bays wired) and 14 case fans (15 now) besides the MB and what you all see on and plugged into it. Also all the room above the HDD behind the 5.25 bays is all taken up by all the crap from the front pant I don't use. I would like to put my PWM fan hubs here next time to shorten the cable runs so I may remove a bunch of those connectors and controllers from the case.

Don't get you hopes up with the water cooling it's not really anything special. The rad you see in the latest update should queue you in on the route that im taking.

Please ignore the many typo's and grammar mistakes on that last post I typed it all on my phone. I'll try to remember to fix it once I'm back at a pc.

Anthrax%208.0%20Header%20-%20Logs.png

Log 02 - A mod comes out of the woodwork. | 2015.12.07

This update has actually been a long time coming. I finished the mod in early December as I finally had time after the Black Friday craziness at work. Sadly as you can tell it hasnt been posted until now. This is because there was a week if that until craziness picked back up for the rest of the holiday season, oh retail.

Below is what I deem as a cool mod. I thought it up while taking a shower and getting ready one morning before work. Companies always put panels over not used fan spots on silence oriented cases to make them quieter and look cleaner. I wondered if there was a way to reattach the side panel fan cover for my Nanoxia Deep Silence 6 even though I had already put two Noctua NF-A14 PWM's there.

After running this through my head for the better part of the day at work I had a pretty good idea of what should work. This would at a minimum make it look cleaner if not possibly also baffle the fan noise. The whole process is below and should work on any case with fan covers with possibly a bit more modification. I may have also already done this on another build in a Fractal Define R5 ;) .

On a another note if your wondering why I even bothered with side panels fans its because they substantially drop case temps, especially air cooled GPU's. I put this up to the fan that they are getting airflow not restricted by a HDD cage or another part of the case. Also there is now exhaust near them so they are getting "cool" ambient air and not possibly sucking in from and outtake.

Alright so first off here is the back side of the side panel fan cover and the two NF-A14 PWM fans mounted in the extra front rad bracket I had for the case. The reason why I add this bracket was that maybe it might add a bit more rigidity to the side panel. Also I had it, so why not use it? I think it also might look better because its not just fans screwed to a side panel.

Anthrax%208.0%20Side%20Panel%20Fan%20Cov

As it turns out I actually had the spacing on the fans wrong when mounted the the rad bracket. I decided to make it easy on myself and mount it to the side panel first then add the bracket and fan grills with all the additional hardware. I took the time to align the fan wires so that they were the same length for when I added the fan splitter.

Here is the other side of the side panel with the fans mounted. Man do I love how Noctua fans look peering through black vents. They are a nice almost more natural contrast to the black without it being that blatant stark contrast everyone is always pushing. Sadly the filters have to go on top as im going to eliminate dust whenever and however possible. My furry friends do have their downsides sadly.

Next we get into the trick. Those fan filters are magnetic which gave me this idea for making the mod removable to still have easy filter cleaning. I had some 5/16in wide by 1/8in thick neodymium magnets left over from another project. Sitting right on top of the fan screws they matched up perfectly to the screws that hold the cover on matched up perfectly to the placement of the magnets.

Since the magnets need to go in the filters I matched up their polarity to the magnets already in the fan filters. I then drilled out the holes for the fan screws with a 5/16in bit. This allowed me to pop the magnets into the fan filters and the onto the side panel right on top of the fan screws as needed for proper placement.

To get enough height for proper airflow I had to stack another magnet on top. This provided just the right amount of clearance. I only need to tweak the screws so that they were screwed in the same amount and all touching the magnets.

Here is how its ended up turning out. I think it looks quite good compared to just showing those fan filters. Maybe I might even get some noise improvements as well.

Let me know what you guys all think of this this mod. I think it ended up turning out pretty darn well. It was also fairly simple since the metal screws were already on the panel. If you have any questions fell free to ask!

Please remember to LinusTechTips%20-%20Follow%20This%20Topi to receive update notifications automatically!

Man how did i not know about this case??? This is a beautiful case, >Adds it to parts list.

Dang nice job that looks real nice. Kinda jealous of the room too... dead hooker haha

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Man how did i not know about this case??? This is a beautiful case, >Adds it to parts list.

Well obviously you didn't watch Luke's Computex 2013 coverage of Nanoxia :P

WANTS PART LISTS NAU!

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

Dang nice job that looks real nice. Kinda jealous of the room too... dead hooker haha

So wait does the mod or the room look nice? :P That room happens to be my bedroom but has really kinda turned into more of a workshop of sorts for computers, keyboards, and other electronics. Id say the only thing bedroom like part about it any more is the bed and closet full of clothes.

I wonder if you know where that is from. Ill give you a hint, it happens to be in the same picture. ;)

WANTS PART LISTS NAU!

I had planned to update it with the 5 or so parts that have already been shown after I closed at work tonight but im just super tired. Though I do thing that I thought of a unique way of doing it so that its a bit more interesting and doesn't cut into the main build logs as much.

Great job with the rig mate! :D

I just said the same thing to Prof lol! Great minds think alike :D

I do what I can, but man your new avatar still gets me! Im like who's this now? I feel as if I should know this user...

Maybe once these rooms are done I can do some sort of full setup(s) coverage or even a room(s) tour. This is probably something that I should look into doing a video for I imagine...

Well obviously you didn't watch Luke's Computex 2013 coverage of Nanoxia :P

I didn't even watch them until around august 2013 when i built my first computer.

Posted Image

As i told Charger, i can change to an older one if its too annoying.

Na its good. You could make that black outline fluffy like a cloud too. :P

I didn't even watch them until around august 2013 when i built my first computer.

Doesn't help that it took almost another whole year to make it to the US.

Miku demands a parts list. NAU!!!

Doesn't help that it took almost another whole year to make it to the US.

Yea, i want that case now that i know about it, it reminds me of the Define series, SORRY I LOVE THAT SERIES I CAN'T HELP MYSELF

Miku demands a parts list. NAU!!!

Sorry Miku but work has been kinda all consuming for my time the past couple of days and I want to take the time to do it right.

Yea, i want that case now that i know about it, it reminds me of the Define series, SORRY I LOVE THAT SERIES I CAN'T HELP MYSELF

Lol same thing I said when I saw it. It's not cheap but price wise it's on the lower end of super towers.

Personally it reminded me more of the Antec P180/P190 personally but I can see where you find the Fractal Define series in it. If there was a super tower variant of the fractal define R5 I would be all over it.

On that note keeps you're eye on my Sig there will be a build log featuring the Define R5 soon

Sorry Miku but work has been kinda all consuming for my time the past couple of days and I want to take the time to do it right.

ok. CUDDLES

Lol same thing I said when I saw it. It's not cheap but price wise it's on the lower end of super towers.

Personally it reminded me more of the Antec P180/P190 personally but I can see where you find the Fractal Define series in it. If there was a super tower variant of the fractal define R5 I would be all over it.

On that note keeps you're eye on my Sig there will be a build log featuring the Define R5 soon

hnnnnnnnggggggggg Can't wait man! I personally would mod the side panel to have a window to show off the hardware because on that case there's no side window T_T TO THE MODDING TABLE!!! 

• 4 months later...