Good storage setup for fraps

Dragonvader

Hello guys.

I'm looking into doing a bit of fraps recording and wondered what kind of hard drive I should buy. I don't need to record in full hd but 720p would be nice. Would a single hard drive be enough and if so which one should I buy? Thanks in advance.

If I'm going to record, I tend to record straight onto an SSD and then move the files afterward to a HD. The high write speeds of the SSD mean that I don't have to wait for things to be written which can cause performance drops especially with games.

What's your budget and current storage setup?

As long as you're using a quite regular HDD (read/write over 100MB/sec) there is no problem recording with fraps. Just make sure that the game isn't installed on the same drive you are recording to, that means that you need atleast two drives in your computer.

I currently have an 250 gig SSD as my OS disk and a 1TB hard drive for general storage so I guess I'll just go ahead an buy another 1TB drive as a dedicated fraps drive. Any recommendations on which drive I should buy. Would a WD red drive be any good?

If you already have two different drives you wouldn't even need a dedicated one for fraps. Als long as the game is installed on the ssd, you can record to the 1TB hard drive without any problem.

But if you want to spend the money, go with practically every hard drive you want. You can search for HDD rankings on google (depending on the country you live in, makes shopping easier) and look for a good one in your budget. Nothing special to look for.

I'd record to the SSD then move them across to the other disk personally. As for drives WD Blacks or Seagate Barracudas are my pick. WD blues I find o be slow as with Greens. Reds may be okay but they're more of a NAS drive and I have had them as well as the Blues fail on my more than once.

In my experience fraps writes at ~100MB/s at 1080p 60 fps. My samsung spinpoint f3 1TB is perfect for it since my games are installed on my 500GB black. Like everyone else said, any modern drive separate from your game drive would be fine