Which language?

Go to solution Solved by Darkfeign,

Welcome to the programming section. Glad to hear you're interested in getting started with some programming.

Like the guys above have said, there's never a right language to pick. Pick one that interests you, maybe do a bit of reading on generic programming terms, as well as the comparison between imperative and functional programming languages, and then follow other stuff like strong/weak typing. For stuff like this it can be helpful to get a proper programming book, but if you want to research online first without committing, there are a few options for you.

First, i'd take a look at the programmer resources thread that's pinned. This has a bunch of good resources compiled by frequenters of this section of the forum. I'd then suggest looking at a couple of the language resources there and seeing which you might prefer. Python, for example, is a great starter language as it lets you interact directly with the interpreter if you so wish, and you can avoid the need to learn specific syntax rules (another programming term you might need to look at). If you fancy getting straight into other popular languages, Java is often a popular place to start, though some people feel different about Java (C# could be your alternative).

C++ is often a popular language for anyone looking at serious programming, but be aware that you'll be introduced to memory management almost immediately when getting into the language. Memory management can be a pain and is avoided entirely in languages like python and java, so i'd suggest leaving it for A-levels, and picking it up after some introductory programming.

I started with a little PHP but quickly grew to dislike its... messiness. Python was the first proper programming language I used and it's great! Vast amount of help online, and great resources for UI and graphics etc. Then I moved onto Java. Really good for developing decent software while avoiding memory management, but there are always countless issues with Java's VM that people come to dislike it for.

ok i have looked at html so little that i might as well say i know nothing

i would love to know your opinion on which language i should learn first

i dont care about what i can do with it as long as it will be productive and i can learn it and then maybe go to other one's from there or stick to it

im going to do a levels after the summer break and possibly do computing where they will be teaching pascal (i have no idea why pascal)

also if you want to tell me the first language you learned first

My first language was Turing which I learned at school. 

Oh wow, the first language that I learned. Well, I can tell you that it was Python, and that was well over 12 years ago. I still think that Python is a great language to learn from.

And I still use a lot of Python today (for professional and non-professional purposes).

Most teachers choose Pascal for entry level learning for whatever reason. I had a Programming class in High School, they also started with Pascal.

It really doesn't matter what language you start with, but there are some that aren't as beginner-friendly as others. I always recommend scripting languages because you don't have to worry about a lot of things (like memory management, and type declaration), and can focus on what really needs learning: thinking like a coder. The first thing to learn is how to design and convert an algorithm into a program, and for beginners it is ideal to have as little meddling from the language as possible.

Refer to this post where I wrote about this subject the other day: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/23647-learning-programming/?p=346423

Want to solve problems? Check this out.

Welcome to the programming section. Glad to hear you're interested in getting started with some programming.

Like the guys above have said, there's never a right language to pick. Pick one that interests you, maybe do a bit of reading on generic programming terms, as well as the comparison between imperative and functional programming languages, and then follow other stuff like strong/weak typing. For stuff like this it can be helpful to get a proper programming book, but if you want to research online first without committing, there are a few options for you.

First, i'd take a look at the programmer resources thread that's pinned. This has a bunch of good resources compiled by frequenters of this section of the forum. I'd then suggest looking at a couple of the language resources there and seeing which you might prefer. Python, for example, is a great starter language as it lets you interact directly with the interpreter if you so wish, and you can avoid the need to learn specific syntax rules (another programming term you might need to look at). If you fancy getting straight into other popular languages, Java is often a popular place to start, though some people feel different about Java (C# could be your alternative).

C++ is often a popular language for anyone looking at serious programming, but be aware that you'll be introduced to memory management almost immediately when getting into the language. Memory management can be a pain and is avoided entirely in languages like python and java, so i'd suggest leaving it for A-levels, and picking it up after some introductory programming.

I started with a little PHP but quickly grew to dislike its... messiness. Python was the first proper programming language I used and it's great! Vast amount of help online, and great resources for UI and graphics etc. Then I moved onto Java. Really good for developing decent software while avoiding memory management, but there are always countless issues with Java's VM that people come to dislike it for.

A lot of people start with JavaScript after HTML... That's what I did.

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Ruby or Python are good starting points.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

Thanks for the help all of u guys

but im going to learn python =D

Oh wow, the first language that I learned. Well, I can tell you that it was Python, and that was well over 12 years ago. I still think that Python is a great language to learn from.

And I still use a lot of Python today (for professional and non-professional purposes).

Most teachers choose Pascal for entry level learning for whatever reason. I had a Programming class in High School, they also started with Pascal.

It really doesn't matter what language you start with, but there are some that aren't as beginner-friendly as others. I always recommend scripting languages because you don't have to worry about a lot of things (like memory management, and type declaration), and can focus on what really needs learning: thinking like a coder. The first thing to learn is how to design and convert an algorithm into a program, and for beginners it is ideal to have as little meddling from the language as possible.

Refer to this post where I wrote about this subject the other day: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/23647-learning-programming/?p=346423

so if you learned pascal in high school at which age did you learn python sounds like you have been brought up around programming

(lucky you) over here in my high school (thank god i have left that place forever) 

it was a "computing, pe and mathermatics collage" and they taught us how to use ms office  -.- and adobe flash cs3 and this is in 2012 

everyone is retarded i was the only one in the whole school who actually did everything

so if you learned pascal in high school at which age did you learn python sounds like you have been brought up around programming

(lucky you) over here in my high school (thank god i have left that place forever) 

it was a "computing, pe and mathermatics collage" and they taught us how to use ms office  -.- and adobe flash cs3 and this is in 2012 

everyone is retarded i was the only one in the whole school who actually did everything

I started learning programming when I was 8 or 9. I've always been a Math person, so it was sort of a natural step I guess. I was also driven by a gigantic will (that still stands) to develop video games.

Plus, my teachers used to sign me up for the national Math Olympiads (and later the computing olympiads), which made me work my problem solving skills.

All in all, it's been a big part of my life. Don't worry though, it's not like there's a wrong age to get into it. I started it way earlier than most people, but one thing I can assure you is that a huge percentage of people (even brilliant students) that go into Computer Science at University have never written a single line of code (I knew/know lots of cases like this). lol

BTW, if you're a math guy, ProjectEuler is a really cool website to work your math and your programming. If not, but want to become an efficient developer, then the USACO training gateway is a good place to learn and practice how to write efficient code.

If you do try ProjectEuler, I'm TheLoser there, and my friend key is 5500802096527_54fa1f5be903342be83b811d3a353cd3 if you want to add me.

Want to solve problems? Check this out.

I started learning programming when I was 8 or 9. I've always been a Math person, so it was sort of a natural step I guess. I was also driven by a gigantic will (that still stands) to develop video games.

Plus, my teachers used to sign me up for the national Math Olympiads (and later the computing olympiads), which made me work my problem solving skills.

All in all, it's been a big part of my life. Don't worry though, it's not like there's a wrong age to get into it. I started it way earlier than most people, but one thing I can assure you is that a huge percentage of people (even brilliant students) that go into Computer Science at University have never written a single line of code (I knew/know lots of cases like this). lol

BTW, if you're a math guy, ProjectEuler is a really cool website to work your math and your programming. If not, but want to become an efficient developer, then the USACO training gateway is a good place to learn and practice how to write efficient code.

If you do try ProjectEuler, I'm TheLoser there, and my friend key is 5500802096527_54fa1f5be903342be83b811d3a353cd3 if you want to add me.

yea ive enjoyed maths ever since i started doing it ill try out those sites thanks =]