Windows 7 dell OEM on non-dell pc. Real or scam?

svaalt

Hi guys,

so, I am nearly done building my first rig, after having handpicked all the parts and having purchased them from the cheapest retailers.

I am now at the point that i need to buy a good OS for my new build. Windows 7 pro 64 bit seems like the right choice for me. After browsing the web, looking for the cheapest prices, i noticed that a lot of sites (ebay etc) sell a dell version of windows 7 OEM at a rather low price. This comes with a "reinstallation DVD" + the needed keys. They also claim that this version will work on any pc out there.

My question is; does anyone have any experience with this version, and will this work with a non-dell system, or is this some kind of scam?

Not with this particular version, but yes there are OEM versions out there that will work perfectly fine for you.

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

Do not buy OEM version of OS. They are special build of the disk by Microsoft, which based on the OEM it is for, it checks the BIOS for a Dell/HP/Lenovo, etc system, If it's wrong, it will be marked as non genuine.

So for example, in your case, that license of Windows 7, as it is Dell version, will only work on Dell systems. I already tried this. That is how I know. I have a business class laptop, so naturally the manufacture give you, beside a junk free system, but also the OS disk. A friend of mine laptop from a different manufacture, needed to re-install his system, and the recovery disk he made ended up being corrupted. So, I tried my Dell disk on his system, expecting to have it ask to enter teh product key as the system is not a Dell, and use the one on his laptop.. but nope.. it installed, not asking for the product key, and marked it as non-genuine. I tried phone activation by entering the key, and without telling Microsoft that I used the Dell disk, they knew, and said my friend needed to buy a new license of Windows, or contact the manufacture for recovery disks. The manufacture wanted 230$ + we pay shipping, to send his system to them for them to format the HDD and restore it.  He decided to just buy Windows, and have the disk.

Do not buy OEM version of OS. They are special build of the disk by Microsoft, which based on the OEM it is for, it checks the BIOS for a Dell/HP/Lenovo, etc system, If it's wrong, it will be marked as non genuine.

So for example, in your case, that license of Windows 7, as it is Dell version, will only work on Dell systems. I already tried this. That is how I know. I have a business class laptop, so naturally the manufacture give you, beside a junk free system, but also the OS disk. A friend of mine laptop from a different manufacture, needed to re-install his system, and the recovery disk he made ended up being corrupted. So, I tried my Dell disk on his system, expecting to have it ask to enter teh product key as the system is not a Dell, and use the one on his laptop.. but nope.. it installed, not asking for the product key, and marked it as non-genuine. I tried phone activation by entering the key, and without telling Microsoft that I used the Dell disk, they knew, and said my friend needed to buy a new license of Windows, or contact the manufacture for recovery disks. The manufacture wanted 230$ + we pay shipping, to send his system to them for them to format the HDD and restore it.  He decided to just buy Windows, and have the disk.

If it has a key, i'm pretty sure you can just use a MSDN iso. But don't quote me on that.

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

I used a family pack upgrade on my new machine, it had some registy hack that you have to do since it is designed to upgrade from xp or vistsa.

This is a link to the post that I used to help me:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-and-product-key-on-formatted-or-empty-blank-hard-drive/

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

Hi guys,

so, I am nearly done building my first rig, after having handpicked all the parts and having purchased them from the cheapest retailers.

I am now at the point that i need to buy a good OS for my new build. Windows 7 pro 64 bit seems like the right choice for me. After browsing the web, looking for the cheapest prices, i noticed that a lot of sites (ebay etc) sell a dell version of windows 7 OEM at a rather low price. This comes with a "reinstallation DVD" + the needed keys. They also claim that this version will work on any pc out there.

My question is; does anyone have any experience with this version, and will this work with a non-dell system, or is this some kind of scam?

there are lots of people that re-make dell  coa stickers. and dvd's to re-sell .. if you get one of these ..your windows install wil be non-Genuine

your best bet is. buy a new os. from  a trusted retailers like newegg. or other trusted retailer

I'm a PC tech at my workplace. The key will work as long as you install with OEM Windows Installation Disc . However, if it is not Dell laptop or desktop, your license will get remove after 1 month or 2 months( sometime , maybe longer). You have to activate again and again and so on lol

All of my windows licenses are OEM except for my server which is retail.

But they are not 'dell' OEM etc, they are just OEM unbranded from UK PC parts e-tailers.