Nivida Physx for PS4 and Xbox One and more

MajorKc

Nivida news release saying support for physx on PS4 back in march and now in may for the Xbox One. Now that being said, both the PS4 and Xbox One are based on an AMD apu for the supporting processor.

Now with them supporting it on these devices do you think it will come to pc side for AMD and also does this mean they are trying to get more developers to code using physx. Another good topic starter would be now that consoles are becoming lower tier level computers and base off 32bit software. Will games be easier to produce and developed for the different variety of systems or could the pc user base design an emulator to run these next gen console games. 

Just got done watching the last live stream and had to post this its been in my mind for an bit.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/07/nvidia-announces-physx-support-for-playstation-4

http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/Releases/NVIDIA-Announces-PhysX-and-APEX-Support-for-Sony-Computer-Entertainment-s-PlayStation-4-941.aspx

http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/Releases/NVIDIA-Announces-PhysX-Support-for-Microsoft-Xbox-One-Game-Console-997.aspx

First off: Consoles has been "low level" computers for some time, a computer doesn't need to be x86, and even so, the first xbox ran something very close to normal PC HW. The PS3 could run linux OSes and was often used in clusters to do calculations at various institutes around the world.

Anyways: There has been rumors about game devs saying that they'll start developing for PC and port down to consoles now that they are so similar. If this turns out to be true, then happy days! 

I don't think, however, that any emulator will be viable. I would rather guess, if anything, that a port of the respective operating systems would be better (but then again, this could be considered emulation depending on implementation)

First off: Consoles has been "low level" computers for some time, a computer doesn't need to be x86, and even so, the first xbox ran something very close to normal PC HW. The PS3 could run linux OSes and was often used in clusters to do calculations at various institutes around the world.

Anyways: There has been rumors about game devs saying that they'll start developing for PC and port down to consoles now that they are so similar. If this turns out to be true, then happy days! 

I don't think, however, that any emulator will be viable. I would rather guess, if anything, that a port of the respective operating systems would be better (but then again, this could be considered emulation depending on implementation)

I would love this!

You can already run PhysX with an AMD card it just won't be taxing your gpu but your cpu instead.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

True they have been running off an cell processor for the ps3 and IBM processor in the xbox. The graphic output was capped for so long with older hardware. Now with the base architecture being the same and an higher power gpu and cpu compared to the gerenatration before. Also think at E3 most of the games were demoed on PC running them, and that developing would be simipler due to the same architecture design.

True they have been running off an cell processor for the ps3 and xenon IBM processor in the xbox. The graphic output was capped for so long with older hardware. Now with the base architecture being the same and an higher power gpu and cpu compared to the gerenatration before. Also think at E3 most of the games were demoed on PC running them, and that developing would be simipler due to the same architecture design.

Gears of war was demoed on a PC, many games generally are.   I don't get why they were using Nvidia cards though when they're going to be going with an amd chip...  They switch to Nvidia and not say anything?

Now that the Xbox and Ps4 are x86 based I actually expect a lot more games to come to the PC and overall to be truly multiplatform this gen. 

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

Gears of war was demoed on a PC, many games generally are.   I don't get why they were using Nvidia cards though when they're going to be going with an amd chip...  They switch to Nvidia and not say anything?

I doubt that they switch to nvidia. The reason why amd got in the console is based on the factor of cost and how easy to install. Buying a bulk shipment of APU all ready to go and setup inside compare to running another cpu with an gpu would not be that cost effective 

This is extraordinarily old news, posted numerous times before & even featured on the live stream.

This is extraordinarily old news, posted numerous times before & even featured on the live stream.

Yep, but then this isn't a news topic, it's a discussion topic ;) stuff doesn't need to be fresh of the press for it to be discussed, now does it? :P

The fact that nvidia graphics were used whilst demoing the games at E3 doesn't puzzle me at all. AFAIK the upper levels of a system doesn't in general bother itself with the specifics of the HW as long as it is supported, so unless there will be some specific instruction set to the new consoles that nvidia gpus doesn't support, then all is good if the power is there. The whole outrage about the demo setup is just stupid and/or ill informed IMO.

That's probably touching on why there has been talk about this physX stuff. If it is made available for consoles as well, then all of the most relevant gaming systems will support it, thus making it more likely to be used. Short therm, I think it would be great for all if physX is used. It is there, it is powerful and it is ready to use. Long therm, something open would probably be best. Nvidia will obviously benefit from physX because of the performance gains they will have as it stands now, but it'll be interesting to see if nvidia will have to go even further to give physX a good enough grip on the market to keep copetition at bay, if so, who knows, physX might be given broader hw support too? I'll bet nvidia stands to gain more by allowing amd hw acceleration on physx and then slapping a "nVidia PhysX" logo on every game that supports it rather then the technology disappearing all together or having virtually no support out there. 

Yep, but then this isn't a news topic, it's a discussion topic ;) stuff doesn't need to be fresh of the press for it to be discussed, now does it? :P

A discussion topic should not be posted under the news section.

A discussion topic should not be posted under the news section.

True

They used Nvidia GPUs for the showcasing because of their driver support and non-stutter issues.

Would you think all those Indie games would look good to the press with screen tearing and stutter?

I own two 7870's myself, but I don't have problems with this, but maybe at E3 they were all playing it safe.