Best Software to Code Linux on?

So I need to write a basic Linux OS - incredibly basic. All it has to do is be able to read SD cards (and run the software on them) and interpret input from buttons. However I have never coded Linux and this is where I plan to start and also I plan to write this in about a day. (Is that possible for someone who only knows basic Linux?). I use windows and I am looking for the best, most intuitive, free software to code Linux on. Please help,

Thanks

It Won't Fail Cause of Me.

notepad ?

notepad ++ ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

write a basic Linux OS

If you're asking that question here, you're gonna have a bad time.

In all seriousness though, you're trying to build an sd powered game machine, right? You should really base this project off of a UNIX based system that already exists. What hardware are you trying to run this on? 

May your framertes be high and your remperatures low.

If you're asking that question here, you're gonna have a bad time.

In all seriousness though, you're trying to build an sd powered game machine, right? You should really base this project off of a UNIX based system that already exists. What hardware are you trying to run this on?

Raspberry pi B with a 4 gig sd.

Why would I get a bad time for "basic Linux OS"?

Considering you're asking this question, it sounds like you have no idea what you are doing, and therefore you're not gonna have fun. At any rate I would recommend notepad++ for coding random things on windows. There are much better IDE's for specific languages but notepad++ works for 99% of the stuff you want to do.

Although for your project I would honestly have to suggest that you start with raspbian and work on it from within your installation, using either emacs or vim as your editor. Rather than producing your own distro it would be much easier to just write some automated scripts to do what you want and maybe a custom GUI.

Considering you're asking this question, it sounds like you have no idea what you are doing, and therefore you're not gonna have fun. At any rate I would recommend notepad++ for coding random things on windows. There are much better IDE's for specific languages but notepad++ works for 99% of the stuff you want to do.

Although for your project I would honestly have to suggest that you start with raspbian and work on it from within your installation, using either emacs or vim as your editor. Rather than producing your own distro it would be much easier to just write some automated scripts to do what you want and maybe a custom GUI.

Thanks man, pretty helpful. And yes I don't really know what I am doing but I want to learn, which is why I asked.

Haha we all started somewhere. My first project was trying to code a MUD in python, before I even knew what the words "variable scope" meant. Needless to say that didn't happen.

Sounds like a fun project though, be sure to report back once you make some progress. I might want to build one too!

Haha we all started somewhere. My first project was trying to code a MUD in python, before I even knew what the words "variable scope" meant. Needless to say that didn't happen.

Sounds like a fun project though, be sure to report back once you make some progress. I might want to build one too!

Haha yeah sure I'll tell you once it's all done and dusted

Is it just me or what, but this sounds like

#firstworldproblems what editor should I choose to code Linux on my Windows machine.... 

Sublime Text 3

But as pointed out before, you're going to have a hard time.

I would get some Android ROM from somewhere and modify the Linux kernel to my needs.

notepad ?

Don't program on notepad... there are probably over 100 better free ones

Seeing as everyone's telling my that my next term in university will be a living nightmare because I have an operating systems course, I don't think writing an operating system is gonna be easy.

Don't program on notepad... there are probably over 100 better free ones

Seeing as everyone's telling my that my next term in university will be a living nightmare because I have an operating systems course, I don't think writing an operating system is gonna be easy.

notepad ++

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

So you're saying you want to fork the Linux Kernel and build some OS functionality on top?

And the problem you decided to ask advice about is which text editor to use?!

So you're saying you want to fork the Linux Kernel and build some OS functionality on top?

When you put it that succinctly it makes it sound so legendary! Vim for sure!  :lol:

And don't forget...

...I plan to write this in about a day.....

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

No offence but as other have pointed out if you are asking this then you may have some trouble with the project you're undertaking; nevertheless I do like Sublime Text 3 for an easy to use editor.

Umm hmm yeah hmm I relise that now but I like me a challenge

Depends on the language that you are using. If you are working on modifying the OS, I personally recommend nano. But, I hope you know how to use the command line.

Umm hmm yeah hmm I relise that now but I like me a challenge

In all seriousness, this is a bad idea.. You should learn to do a simple language first something like python or ruby.. 

If not...

youre-going-to-have-a-bad-time.png

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

Nah, kernel is not a problem, it's just as easy as sleeping with a gorgeous, smart engineer woman who fell in love with you.

Oh, wait...

Lawl  @ vim  :lol:

Hey, he never said that he would code on Windows only ;)

Yeah I can code HTML and CSS to a decent level and basic C++, just thought I could expand my vocabulary as French was getting a bit boring...

Yeah I can code HTML and CSS to a decent level and basic C++, just thought I could expand my vocabulary as French was getting a bit boring...

Get real comfortable with C/C++ cuz that's most likely what you will end up using for this kind of project.