Harrynowl's ULTIMATE CPU Showdown! (WIP)

in some of the tests, in others its being beat on the face by a Dual core from 2008

yea,but todays computing is leaning to more cores that less powerfull ones due to the extreme advantages in multithreading,look at video editing programs etc

Updated the CPU benchmarks with more info :)

@ my FX can run most benchmarks above 4.3, but it isn't stable as module 3 & 4 crap out after a little while, problem is during my gaming benchmarks I can't run a different clock speed to the rest of the test and I'd probably end up blue screening half the time.

Updated the CPU benchmarks with more info :)

@ my FX can run most benchmarks above 4.3, but it isn't stable as module 3 & 4 crap out after a little while, problem is during my gaming benchmarks I can't run a different clock speed to the rest of the test and I'd probably end up blue screening half the time.

That is extremely odd, for a CPU that isn't exactly old (physically not technologically fanboys) it should be working 100%. I think their product quality isn't quite the same since the early 90s, when they made CPUs that were cheaper than Intel's, were just as reliable and could perform better.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

@harrynowl do you want me to post them for further comparison?

you can do :)

@Tipomer I'd wait until the gaming benchmarks to see exactly how they perform, as a lot of people on here are buying their system to game :)

This is the comparisons I did with passmark (notice the difference 100MHz made to my E8500), I didn't have time to test it with my Xeon though since I went too far with the overclock:

post-155575-0-58372600-1420889222_thumb.

post-155575-0-36223000-1420889227_thumb.

post-155575-0-94801800-1420889231_thumb.

post-155575-0-20200000-1420889235_thumb.

post-155575-0-13448700-1420889237_thumb.

post-155575-0-92941400-1420889238.jpg

PMSL

Looking at the results and the FX-8320 being beating by the I5 in just about everything...

Also I'm surprised how far behind the FX is in the IMC tests

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Looking at the results and the FX-8320 being beating by the I5 in just about everything...

Also I'm surprised how far behind the FX is in the IMC tests

So am I... I'm suspecting the program isn't optimized for AMDs IMC.

So am I... I'm suspecting the program isn't optimized for AMDs IMC.

Hopefully that is the case but if it's not then the FX is even worse than we thought

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

An overclocked i5-760 would be a great addition to this those charts. This is great btw thanks for taking the time to do this.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

An overclocked i5-760 would be a great addition to this those charts. This is great btw thanks for taking the time to do this.

I'd love one but unfortunately a lot of older parts are very inflated on ebay UK :(

I'd love one but unfortunately a lot of older parts are very inflated on ebay UK :(

i know i think its because there is no competition from amd, but even they are expensive.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Updated my charts a bit to represent CPU brand... had to go through each one and do it by hand, anyone here a bit more knowledgeable with Excel that knows how to 'automate' that? As using a conditional field screws up a lot of the charts because of the result formats changing.

Updated my charts a bit to represent CPU brand... had to go through each one and do it by hand, anyone here a bit more knowledgeable with Excel that knows how to 'automate' that? As using a conditional field screws up a lot of the charts because of the result formats changing.

Thanks, it makes everything a lot clearer.

PMSL

Updated charts to show clock speeds... is there anything else you'd like to see added?

As there'll be some time before all the GPU benchmarking is done, it's more time consuming and requires me to cannibalize my main rig which can only be done between work.

Updated charts to show clock speeds... is there anything else you'd like to see added?

As there'll be some time before all the GPU benchmarking is done, it's more time consuming and requires me to cannibalize my main rig which can only be done between work.

looks good so for. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

@harrynowl

I linked the single thread benches to show a friend of mine that the new FX cpus have bad single thread performance and he said you faked these results.

*facepalm*

I can convice amd users that their cpus arent what they are cracked up to be , oh well.

@harrynowl

I linked the single thread benches to show a friend of mine that the new FX cpus have bad single thread performance and he said you faked these results.

*facepalm*

I can convice amd users that their cpus arent what they are cracked up to be , oh well.

Don't worry, I might be getting my hands on an FX 8350 (my friend realized that its getting beaten hands down by my i5 in games), and I'm going to do a complete video of putting it together (full assembly), the same as my i5 4440, then a video (not screen capture) of my benchmarking, if the fanboys still persist, I might start ignoring them.

PMSL

@harrynowl

*facepalm*

:) some people can't be convinced

Sorry I haven't updated in a while.

Been very busy with college and driving and my CX600 died, replacement arrives Monday.

Hopefully that means I can finish the GPU portion off soon.

Sorry I haven't updated in a while.

Been very busy with college and driving and my CX600 died, replacement arrives Monday.

Hopefully that means I can finish the GPU portion off soon.

4QLX1ok.gif

Steve

So... the Tom Clancy benchmark doesn't work at all (thank uPlay for that).

What benchmark should I add instead? I was going to add a cache benchmark to the CPU and maybe a productivity one.

But what about graphics?

So... the Tom Clancy benchmark doesn't work at all (thank uPlay for that).

What benchmark should I add instead? I was going to add a cache benchmark to the CPU and maybe a productivity one.

But what about graphics?

Cinebench's built in GPU benchmark is a good one.

Valley, Heaven, Metro:LL, Tomb Raider, Bioshock, I'll let you know if I think of others.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Cinebench's built in GPU benchmark is a good one.

Valley, Heaven, Metro:LL, Tomb Raider, Bioshock, I'll let you know if I think of others.

I have R15s OpenCL, as it's very single thread bound also.

I have Valley, but I'll look into some other ones. I got most of them from the TechPowerUp database as I don't have many games personally.