Dust Filters: To Filter Or Not To Filter

nightlitezzz

I don't see any reasons, besides maybe money, not to use dustfilters.

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

It's no question. Use dust filters.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

im thinking about them on my intake fans and when i get my watercooling setup i hate dust inside the case. the cosmos ii built in filters seem to do a great job but they still leave the fine particles through

I personally don't right now but I would for sure in the future, also noting that I actually will in a new upcoming build.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

i'd rather spend more time outside the PC case than inside de-bunnying all the

nooks and crannies, flushing out the 'sinks and radiators from a simple step like

installing a filter on the intake side..

airdeano

All my intakes use dust filters.
If not my insides become all dusty :(

CPU: Intel 2700k (4.7) MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290X RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengence (1866) CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Storage: 256GB Samsung 830 Pro SSD (Boot), 64GB Crucial M4 (SSD Cache), 1TB WD Black Cavier, 2TB Hitachi, 2.5TB Buffalo Sound Card: Xonar Essence STX Case: Corsair Graphite 600t w/ full acrylic side PSU: Corsair HX750 (individually sleeved) 
Peripherals: Filco Keyboard (Brown) Razer Deathadder, Sennheiser HD595, Zalman ZM-MIC1, Steelseries Qck Mass mousepad.
Pics of my Rig

I don't cause I use a cheapo case, but I hate cleaning it out every 3 months.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

I do with most of my intakes, but I'm ordering more so that all of them have filters :)

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Dust filters are life savers!  They cut down on the dusting maintenance big time!  Personally I use them whenever I can.  With the cost of cans of air the dust filters will pay for themselves over the course of months if you have to buy some.

i5 2500k, MSI Z77 Mpower, 4x4 GB Musking Enhanced Blackline. MSI N560GTX-Ti Hawk(temporary), Samsung 830 128, Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 750w

I bought some made to fit dust filters for my 600T from frozencpu.com they worked ok but it was killing my air flow really bad so I took them off and the temps dropped 10 degrees in a few seconds. So now I clean it out every Friday 

Motherboard: MSI-990FXA-GD65 | CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.3Ghz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 770 Lightning @ 1300Mhz CC and 8000Mhz MC | Case: Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 | PSU: Corsair AX850 | OS: Windows 8.1

I uses Demciflex filters on all the intakes to my case.

FX8120 @ 5.0GHz | Sabertooth 990FX | Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB @ 2133MHz | Powercolor HD7950 @ 1300/1800 | Bitfenix Shinobi XL Modded | Corsair AX850 | Mushkin 120GB & Seagate 2TB | Bitfenix Recon | 5X SP120 PE | 6X Yate Loon 120mm HS

Koolance 200 Res | 2X Koolance 360 Rads | Danger Den CPX Pro | EK 7950 Block | Koolance CPU Block | Bitspower & XSPC Fittings

Green Machine

I uses Demciflex filters on all the intakes to my case.

I ordered one of these, reluctantly due to the price, for a 140mm intake for my Define R4. While I ended up using the windowed side panel as I was happy enough with the case's airflow after filling the base fan slots with noctuas, I have to say it was really good quality, and being magnetic you can just stick it on the outside of your case without the need to open the case to clean them. They have a fine mesh but seem okay for airflow too.

Specific to the topic: Always filter. I had a semi-filtered Corsair Carbide 400R and with front and bottom filters, the double side-intake was still dragging in too much dust for my liking.

I have return vent filters, the ones you use in your house. 

I ordered one of these, reluctantly due to the price, for a 140mm intake for my Define R4. While I ended up using the windowed side panel as I was happy enough with the case's airflow after filling the base fan slots with noctuas, I have to see it was really good quality, and being magnetic you can just stick it on the outside of your case without the need to open the case to clean them. They have a fine mesh but seem okay for airflow too.

Specific to the topic: Always filter. I had a semi-filtered Corsair Carbide 400R and with front and bottom filters, the double side-intake was still dragging in too much dust for my liking.

Yeh they are expensive as they use hospital level filters that are very fine and string. They do affect air flow but I have got high pressure fan behind them.

FX8120 @ 5.0GHz | Sabertooth 990FX | Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB @ 2133MHz | Powercolor HD7950 @ 1300/1800 | Bitfenix Shinobi XL Modded | Corsair AX850 | Mushkin 120GB & Seagate 2TB | Bitfenix Recon | 5X SP120 PE | 6X Yate Loon 120mm HS

Koolance 200 Res | 2X Koolance 360 Rads | Danger Den CPX Pro | EK 7950 Block | Koolance CPU Block | Bitspower & XSPC Fittings

Green Machine

Absolutely 

It's one of the things I looked for in a case. If a case doesn't have filters, that's a potential deal breaker right there. And if for whatever reason it didn't support after market filters, then I wouldn't even consider the case.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I have no choice...my house is REALLY dusty...a disadvantage to having ceiling panels...

I have a dust filter on my first intake fan but i have only one and i don't have the time to buy another one so I use a toilet paper sheet on my second intake fan :D

I have a dust filter on my first intake fan but i have only one and i don't have the time to buy another one so I use a toilet paper sheet on my second intake fan :D

What?! Toilet paper will create its own fluffy dust.. you might as well just go without for better airflow, and optimise for positive internal pressure.

Yes dust filters is a must, if u have them and see how much dust builds up on them u'll see they are needed, that might just be my house mind. lol 

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | Cooler: Stock | RAM: 16GB Hyper Fury X RGB | GPU: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite| PSU: Corsair RM850x
Storage: WD SN750 500GB / 850 500GB Samsung Evo /  | CASE: 570X | Display: Dell u2414h  | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: Corsair M65

The dust ive seen in peoples cases.... :o just Astounding!!
and when you open the side panel, only to find no working CPU fan :huh:  because it can't turn  :unsure:  dust is choking it to death 

What?! Toilet paper will create its own fluffy dust.. you might as well just go without for better airflow, and optimise for positive internal pressure.

Not in my case :D