OS X Software Experience - iSwitched to Mac Part 3

what I don't get is the apple mice, a single button and that tiny scroll ball that is not that good for actually scrolling? Then there is the problem with having to press control every damn time to right click with the said mouse.

That is the older style mouse and it actually had 3 buttons without any visable seperation. Magic Mouse replaced that mouse with a touch pad on the top.

That is the older style mouse and it actually had 3 buttons without any visable seperation. Magic Mouse replaced that mouse with a touch pad on the top.

Well the last macs I used were the older core 2 duo ones (can't remember what year they are from) and ran OSX leopard so things are bound to have changed. Still though to me the classic computer mouse style (or the ergonomic one) make the most amount of sense.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Well the last macs I used were the older core 2 duo ones (can't remember what year they are from) and ran OSX leopard so things are bound to have changed. Still though to me the classic computer mouse style (or the ergonomic one) make the most amount of sense.

I think the magic mouse is a decent mouse, but I agree on there being better mouse options. I use a Deathadder with synergy so I can share my keyboard and mouse wireless between my pc and mac mini.

I think the magic mouse is a decent mouse, but I agree on there being better mouse options. I use a Deathadder with synergy so I can share my keyboard and mouse wireless between my pc and mac mini.

I personally feel the dpi is a tad too low, although that's not something the average person who never used anything better will notice, the touch surface makes sense once you get used to it, though if I had to use a mac i'd probably get something else too.

Hi Linus. How about taking up the "Linux Challenge" next. The OS is free and you don't need to buy expensive hardware to run it, how about doing a multi-part Linux Challenge? The folks over at Tech-Syndicate are also dipping their toes in the Linux pool and there are several Linux specific podcasts (with the linux action show being the most popular), how about some penguin loving over at Linus Tech Tips?? I mean yous share the same as the guy who created it.....

I feel you could bring a gaming focused view of the Linux desktop to the table, which would be nice. Most of the existing tech content is either completely focused on Linux or they don't care about it at all, a well balanced discussion of the third most popular desktop and the most popular server operating system in the world would be nice.

If you do take up the challenge then I would recommend going with an nvidia card to begin with. Go with either Ubuntu(Unity), Kubuntu(KDE) or Fedora Workstation(Gnome), maybe even opensuse?? Use Lightworks for video editing software and WPS Office instead of libreoffice.

Hope you take up the challenge, you'll have fun...I promise!

Yay! Thanks Nick! I dislike mac's myself, but when Linus talk's about them, i'm interested! 

360p master race

im still at 240p :P

Untitled.png

osx looks so much like linux they have literally copy pasted everything 

I really was surprised. After spending a year with XFCE Arch as my main computer (just for learning purposes) and later on the awesomesauce that is ElementaryOS, I thought the expirience was OK for a free system. Looking at OSX, I'm flabbergasted. Why would I pay such a premium for an OS that rarely functions better than many free alternatives and now operates on a similar platform?

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

And here you go most keyboards - the best - are normally designed for windows, so why don't they make different profiles that AUTO switches on OS X ? I don't think it would be that hard if I can repine keys on my own, so Linus wasn't wrong by pointing that out the preconfigured keys aren't that good and may not work probably and yes it's required for them to do that I don't want to pay extra or buy an Apple keyboard.

I don't understand why you think apple needs to do it, I dont think windows auto configure a mac keyboard does it? You are thinking from the perspective of a Windows user and you are implying that the Windows layout is the main layout out there but its not, just like OSs, keyboards have different types, different layouts to suit different purposes, it just happens to be that the Windows layout is the most used out there, that doesnt mean every other company has to adopt the layout and

Besides, If you are buying an Apple computer, it probably comes with a keyboard (except the Mac mini if I'm not mistaken) and most Mac users are not trying to game on Mac OS X so it shouldnt be something of too much concern, if you are actually looking to game on your Mac, there are better choices like running in Bootcamp or Parallels 

| --- My Stuff --- |

Computer: Apple Late-2008 Macbook Pro ; -Haguro- build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/296613-wip-project-haguro-x99-hackintosh-workstation/|

Mobile Devices: Apple 32GB 1st gen Ipad Mini ; Apple 16GB Iphone 5s ; Apple Ipod Classic 80Gb 5th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 120Gb 6th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 160Gb 7th Gen ; Apple Ipod Nano 16Gb 6th Gen 

SNIP 

this x100

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

..., it just happens to be that the Windows layout is the most used out there, that doesnt mean every other company has to adopt the layout and

it is not like there is ONE windows layout out there. there are many different for many different languages.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

I really was surprised. After spending a year with XFCE Arch as my main computer (just for learning purposes) and later on the awesomesauce that is ElementaryOS, I thought the expirience was OK for a free system. Looking at OSX, I'm flabbergasted. Why would I pay such a premium for an OS that rarely functions better than many free alternatives and now operates on a similar platform?

Just checked elementary OS, the desktop environment really similar to OSX.

IMO, OSX is in no way "premium" though; it's just an OS bundled with machines Apple sells, which aren't exactly "overpriced" if compared to other all-in-one computers like high-end laptops.

I don't understand why you think apple needs to do it, I dont think windows auto configure a mac keyboard does it? You are thinking from the perspective of a Windows user and you are implying that the Windows layout is the main layout out there but its not, just like OSs, keyboards have different types, different layouts to suit different purposes, it just happens to be that the Windows layout is the most used out there, that doesnt mean every other company has to adopt the layout and

Besides, If you are buying an Apple computer, it probably comes with a keyboard (except the Mac mini if I'm not mistaken) and most Mac users are not trying to game on Mac OS X so it shouldnt be something of too much concern, if you are actually looking to game on your Mac, there are better choices like running in Bootcamp or Parallels 

Fair enough.

this x100

I get it I don't need to multiply.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I get it I don't need to multiply.

:wub:

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

:wub:

:D  :D go back to work.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

:D  :D go back to work.

I have literally about 500 pages of invoices to post out... considering just burning the office to the ground

x100

I really like the idea behind this series but I think that he should also do something like a I switched to hachintosh so that he could have all the things he likes about windows and osx in the same thing. At least that is what I did and love but everyone has their own opoinion. I am also interested in what you guys think about my idea or if you think Ive just gone mad.

You've most definitely have gone mad! :P

You should see a doctor! :D JK

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

@LinusTech

You know you can bind the desktop dashboard thing to mouse buttons right? I bind it to a side button then use that to switch desktops. 

I don't like macs but I use them enough to know that. That's so simple. I mean come on you didn't have to use the magic mouse. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

it is not like there is ONE windows layout out there. there are many different for many different languages.

I realise that but the one most people are using to type is probably something along the line of either an ANSI or an ISO keyboard layout (some softwares will even allow you to modify this keyboard layout to suit with your language e.g. typing Japanese in Romaji which then turn into Kanji once you have moved to a new word or adding tones to a word using j, a, x, r... in Vietnamese):

Sorry for the large picture, it's the only one that looks clean enough for me (without all the drop shadows that makes it look messy)

2000px-ANSI_Keyboard_Layout_Diagram_with

this x100

glad you agreed 

| --- My Stuff --- |

Computer: Apple Late-2008 Macbook Pro ; -Haguro- build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/296613-wip-project-haguro-x99-hackintosh-workstation/|

Mobile Devices: Apple 32GB 1st gen Ipad Mini ; Apple 16GB Iphone 5s ; Apple Ipod Classic 80Gb 5th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 120Gb 6th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 160Gb 7th Gen ; Apple Ipod Nano 16Gb 6th Gen 

I bind it to a side button then use that to switch desktops.

Why didn't I think of this before.

Thanks!

Is there a list of all the software mods/commands/customizations Linus used? I'm a windows guy who got  a macbook pro because of a price decrease I just couldn't say no to. Dual boot isn't an option here because I need some mac-only software, but am wondering about the key repeat commands and finder customizations.

Is there a list of all the software mods/commands/customizations Linus used? I'm a windows guy who got  a macbook pro because of a price decrease I just couldn't say no to. Dual boot isn't an option here because I need some mac-only software, but am wondering about the key repeat commands and finder customizations.

Check this

Check this

you don't need any finder addons or customizations at all.

using Macs since 2006 ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Not all third party apps are paid softwares. There are lots of free alternatives.

To make it fair, imagine Windows without any third party softwares.

If a feature is developed by a third party, does that automatically make it bad?

Third party apps are not bad things, it's like saying "Firefox and Chrome is shit, Seamonkey can do many other stuffs right out of the box without installing any add-ons/extensions" or "Linux OSes are shit, they don't even have Desktops and I have to get Desktop Environment system softwares, unlike Windows which has it out of the box".

It's even worse in Windows; most of the powerful third party apps in OSX don't even exist in Windows, though the opposite applies to OSX as well.

Wow ... did I say third party apps were bad?

I'm saying that if you need to install 10 third-party apps before starting to work, the OS itself isn't that good. If you had to install a launcher, a new browser, a new e-mail client and a new camera app before starting to use an Android device, that would a be a bad sign for Android.

I'm glad 3rd part apps exist, but an OS should be usable without installing them in the first place.

Also, I don't understand your comment on Linux OSes ... I'm writing this on Lubuntu and it ships with a desktop environment, LXDE, like almost every Linux distro.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

if you need to install 10 third-party apps before starting to work

Well, you don't; they are just optional apps to make things easier.

As having used a Mac for a solid year before, I do not like them and I will not like them. People say "oh they're good for video and audio editing." What a load of crap, no they are not. I've never had premiere and after effects crash on my Windows computer but almost every day I had some problem on the Mac. Render fails, hardware giving fits, OS crashing out of the blue, losing work, etc. And it wasn't my computer alone. They are not intuitive to use, they are designed for simple minded people that are not power users who need their system locked down so they can't break it. Yes Pages is better than Word but I can suffer with Word if that means a better computing experience the rest of the time.

Deep breaths.

Let's not brainlessly throw terms like 'simple minded people' and 'need their system locked down,' shall we? I consider myself a pretty big power user, and on the contrary find Windows a lesser experience than OS X. And I used Windows every day of my life until my first Mac.

Respect others' opinions!