OS X Software Experience - iSwitched to Mac Part 3

Wait make a costume one you mean I can't use my K70 ? I go to store buy a mechnical keyboard plug it in and expect it to work if it doesn't why can't he talk about it or point it out, I know you can edit the keys but he said preconfigured ones weren't that good.

the k70 is designed for Windows, you cant expect it to work just like that, it has a key layout that is optimised for Windows, not Mac, just because most keyboards have that layout doesnt mean Apple is required to make their OS suited to that, if you want to use Mac OS the proper way, get a keyboard that is made to be used on OS X

| --- My Stuff --- |

Computer: Apple Late-2008 Macbook Pro ; -Haguro- build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/296613-wip-project-haguro-x99-hackintosh-workstation/|

Mobile Devices: Apple 32GB 1st gen Ipad Mini ; Apple 16GB Iphone 5s ; Apple Ipod Classic 80Gb 5th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 120Gb 6th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 160Gb 7th Gen ; Apple Ipod Nano 16Gb 6th Gen 

Wait make a costume one you mean I can't use my K70 ? I go to store buy a mechnical keyboard plug it in and expect it to work ...

So what was wrong about him saying that the pre-configured settings are bad ? windows is great at so does linux I can't see what's wrong with him saying that, he plugged in the keyboard and the settings weren't that good, please don't be an idiot pleasing his windows fans just stop it and open your eyes.

I bet that Corsair somewhere on their site tells you that it is a windows compatible keyboard.

There are also plenty mechanical keyboards with a mac layout.

It's not like the a keyboard with a windows layout is not working. But (some, not all) usefull shortcuts, that are clearly marked on a mac layout keyboard have to be reconfigured.

But complaining that he can't find that F14 key on his windows keyboard, because it is called 'scroll lock'?

How many windows users even know what 'print scr','scroll lock' or 'break' means and what it does?

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Never used OSX but some of the comments from Mac users drive me nuts.

You should use a third-party app for that.

Seriously, you buy a 3000$ machine and it doesn't work right out of the box? It's not a good system if you have to install 10 third-party apps before you can actually use the machine.

Hey, why did you use that app? Every Mac user knows this is useless.

Well, Linus is newbie to OSX, of course he's going to try everything that comes with the machine. If it's bad, I call that fair criticism.

After seeing the video, I don't understand the 'OSX is soooooo easy to use' line we hear all the time.

By the way, I would be really curious to see an iSwitched to Ubuntu video.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

Never used OSX but some of the comments from Mac users drive me nuts.

Seriously, you buy a 3000$ machine and it doesn't work right out of the box? It's not a good system if you have to install 10 third-party apps before you can actually use the machine.

you don't have to.

LINUS said, that he would have to buy this or that, but in reallity it all works oob.

Not all third party apps are paid softwares. There are lots of free alternatives.

To make it fair, imagine Windows without any third party softwares.

If a feature is developed by a third party, does that automatically make it bad?

Third party apps are not bad things, it's like saying "Firefox and Chrome is shit, Seamonkey can do many other stuffs right out of the box without installing any add-ons/extensions" or "Linux OSes are shit, they don't even have Desktops and I have to get Desktop Environment system softwares, unlike Windows which has it out of the box".

It's even worse in Windows; most of the powerful third party apps in OSX don't even exist in Windows, though the opposite applies to OSX as well.

the k70 is designed for Windows, you cant expect it to work just like that, it has a key layout that is optimised for Windows, not Mac, just because most keyboards have that layout doesnt mean Apple is required to make their OS suited to that, if you want to use Mac OS the proper way, get a keyboard that is made to be used on OS X

And here you go most keyboards - the best - are normally designed for windows, so why don't they make different profiles that AUTO switches on OS X ? I don't think it would be that hard if I can repine keys on my own, so Linus wasn't wrong by pointing that out the preconfigured keys aren't that good and may not work probably and yes it's required for them to do that I don't want to pay extra or buy an Apple keyboard.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I bet that Corsair somewhere on their site tells you that it is a windows compatible keyboard.

There are also plenty mechanical keyboards with a mac layout.

It's not like the a keyboard with a windows layout is not working. But (some, not all) usefull shortcuts, that are clearly marked on a mac layout keyboard have to be reconfigured.

But complaining that he can't find that F14 key on his windows keyboard, because it is called 'scroll lock'?

How many windows users even know what 'print scr','scroll lock' or 'break' means and what it does?

Most of keyboards are windows compatible, don't look that far look down at the windows key, why can't they have different configurations that switches on it self, one for MAC and one for normal ones, your kidding me right you don't expect the massive windows users to know what those buttons are do you ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

And here you go most keyboards - the best - are normally designed for windows, so why don't they make different profiles that AUTO switches on OS X ? I don't think it would be that hard if I can repine keys on my own, so Linus wasn't wrong by pointing that out the preconfigured keys aren't that good and may not work probably and yes it's required for them to do that I don't want to pay extra or buy an Apple keyboard.

I'm having a hard time refraining myself from spamming the following link:

Karabiner

Buy whatever keyboard you want, remap it to whatever layout you want.

I'm having a hard time refraining myself from spamming the following link:

Karabiner

Buy whatever keyboard you want, remap it to whatever layout you want.

Thanks this should make things easier.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

This is not an apple issue, the manufacturers should be making apple layouts for their keyboards, but the main market for them are PC users, since iMacs all come with  a free wireless apple keyboard out the box (and the macbooks have one obviouisly) so you get an apple keyboard for free when you buy any mac (not the mac mini though)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

This is not an apple issue, the manufacturers should be making apple layouts for their keyboards, but the main market for them are PC users, since iMacs all come with  a free wireless apple keyboard out the box (and the macbooks have one obviouisly) so you get an apple keyboard for free when you buy any mac (not the mac mini though)

Yes it's an apple issue it's an issue with the keyboard and OS, Apple can fix this easily - they have smart people - they can make different configurations for keyboards just make 2, one for MAC keyboards and one for the regular ones that's it - I think-.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

osx looks so much like linux they have literally copy pasted everything

post-119646-0-46295500-1420409597.jpg

I don't see the resemblance to OS X. If anything, it looks a lot like Windows 7.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core; Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP ATX LGA1150; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600; GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB; Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower; Storage: 1 WD Black 1TB and 1 Seagate Barracuda 1TB; PSU: Corsair TX750M; Display(s): Asus 1080p 27" and an old Gateway 900p 19"; Cooling: Corsair H80i; Keyboard: AZIO Levetron Mech5 Wired Gaming Keyboard; Mouse: some random Japanese gaming mouse; Operating System: Windows 8.1;

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010)

Dell Inspiron 531s running Ubuntu Server 14.04.1 LTS

Just an FYI, Mac OS X allows you to re-map the Modifier Keys.

This allows Mechanical Key users to easily swap the key caps and simply swap the location of Command/Option (Windows/Alt) keys to make their keyboards more Mac-like.

Personally? I prefer using a windows-layout keyboard on a Mac. I find the windows key location easier to hit, and I like the placement of Alt relative to Shift as I use them as heavily in World of Warcraft.

-robodude666

post-113076-0-06626100-1420405840.png

Most of keyboards are windows compatible, don't look that far look down at the windows key, why can't they have different configurations that switches on it self, one for MAC and one for normal ones, your kidding me right you don't expect the massive windows users to know what those buttons are do you ?

Yes it's an apple issue it's an issue with the keyboard and OS, Apple can fix this easily - they have smart people - they can make different configurations for keyboards just make 2, one for MAC keyboards and one for the regular ones that's it - I think-.

you don't get it ... windows keyboards work fine in OS X.

BUT there are certain predfined single button short cuts that have a clear label on a Mac keyboard (like for adjusting the brightness, mission control or launchpad, that are not clearly marked on a windows key]board. If now one complains, that there are no shortcuts, because he just doesn't know them yet, he probably would have been better of with a mac keyboard.

you don't get it ... windows keyboards work fine in OS X.

BUT there are certain predfined single button short cuts that have a clear label on a Mac keyboard (like for adjusting the brightness, mission control or launchpad, that are not clearly marked on a windows key]board. If now one complains, that there are no shortcuts, because he just doesn't know them yet, he probably would have been better of with a mac keyboard.

You can remap the keys so if I can Apple can do it and make the OS auto switch when a windows keyboard is inserted.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

It is important not to fault Linus, he gave his honest review and that is all that matters, no one is perfect.

Linus is professional in the truest sense of that word; he is making money, making a living, doing reviews.

If this was some off the street schmuck then your sentence would be true. But as a pro he is held to a higher level of standard.  

@6:22

no cut and paste? yeah right, no cut and paste, put move!

just press cmd+c (copy) and cmd+alt+v (move). BOOOOOM!

you don't want to use shortcuts?

just open a new Finder Tab or window. this is my prefered way to move files anyway.

Come on, this CMD+ALD+V is dumb, every freaking application use CMD+X. ENTER for renaming also is so irritating I just could get used to it even after using OSX daily for a year. Merging folders is also BS. To even get the merge button to appear one have to hold ALT, there is no skip when merging too. This is why I basically do file operations from shell. Another thing that is so annoying is hidden files/folders - no proper way to turn them on/off. Yes, there is 3rd party apps which basically are Automator script wrappers. Fullscreen instead of maximize... double clicking title bar for browser requires some precision.

What I would suggest for people coming from  Windows or having to switch between these OS's - XtraFinder. This also add options to sort folders on top, allows using ENTER for opening and offers ton of other options.

And who uses tags...

I am a PC and Mac user. One thing in the video I wanted to point out is you can change icons to any size and it's super smooth. You only have the option of 2 sizes in list mode. OSX has a lot of pretty impressive power user features, but they are just not as easy to find as windows.

osx.png

You can remap the keys so if I can Apple can do it and make the OS auto switch when a windows keyboard is inserted.

you still missed what he's saying. he's saying the PHYSICAL KEYS have icons on them just like your have the letters printed on it. the functionality doesn't change between mac and pc keyboards but the pc keyboard isn't labeled properly (obviously) for mac. apple cant change whats printed on your keyboard.

Mac Pro 2013, 3.5GHz 6-core xeon E5, 32GB 1866 ddr3 ECC, 2x AMD Firepro d700 6GB, 512GB PCIe SSD, 3x Dell u2412m 24", Audio-technica ad-700 with Astro mixamp, Logitech g19s, Steelseries Sensei Wireless, Saitek x-55.

you still missed what he's saying. he's saying the PHYSICAL KEYS have icons on them just like your have the letters printed on it. the functionality doesn't change between mac and pc keyboards but the pc keyboard isn't labeled properly (obviously) for mac. apple cant change whats printed on your keyboard.

They can remap the keys they don't change the printing I think you missed my point.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

They can remap the keys they don't change the printing I think you missed my point.

there is no mission control button or launchpad button on a standard windows keyboard.

there is no mission control button or launchpad button on a standard windows keyboard.

There is no prtsc or windows key in a MAC keyboard.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

There is no prtsc or windows key in a MAC keyboard.

who uses a mac keyboard with windows?

also there are windows drivers for mac keyboards (that remaps some keys) ?!

who uses a mac keyboard with windows?

also there are windows drivers for mac keyboards (that remaps some keys) ?!

Okay lets stop this argument and have a nice day m8.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

what I don't get is the apple mice, a single button and that tiny scroll ball that is not that good for actually scrolling? Then there is the problem with having to press control every damn time to right click with the said mouse.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL