OS X Software Experience - iSwitched to Mac Part 3

He could have at least have figured out how to adapt his keyboard to OSX, rather than just saying, that some preconfigured shortcuts are not availabe, wrong or whatever. did he do that to please his mainly windows focused crowd or was he just to lazy?

I noticed that as well. Surely it makes sense to re bind the keys on a different keyboard that was designed for a different OS.

Also he could do that, and get windows window snapping with Better Touch Tool ( which is free ), and create all the shortcuts, macros, and keys he wanted.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

got to agree with linus for the biggest part, altough i experienced certain things diffrent, might be since i use a macbook pro instead a imac, the fact i have a touchpad wich basicly behaves like most touchpads but does a bit more is great, compared to that mouse, it's stuff like that wich make it diffrent, small things sometimes but still.

edit:

the greatest benefit of a mac is probarlly the automator, wich works really great if you are willing to spend some time with it.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

He didn't talk about thermal throttling nor the performance of the M295X like he said he was going to...

Other then that. Good video!

Some comments from a Mac user:

1. Finder:

The only way I can use Finder is in this mode:

C7NR5CV.png

it gives you a very intuitive way to back even 3 folders from where you are working. Also, not sure what you were talking about with the automatic sorting, it works fine for me... For the copy/paste files and folders, command-c and command-v work fine, not sure what you have against keyboard shortcuts

2. To "maximize" windows instead of fullscreen them, you can double click on the top of the window, which I find myself doing a lot.

3. I know what you mean about the command button being awkward - whenever I use windows I get tripped up by the control key lol.

Pro Tip: don't use flash when taking pictures of your build; use a longer exposure instead. Prop up your camera with something (preferably a tripod) if necessary.

if you use retarded/autistic/etc to mean stupid please gtfo

I also feel this is a strong point of MACs- windows machines don't easily let you run OS X, but OS X supports Windows natively.

It's more like OS X disadvantage than PC because Apple refuses to make OS X compatible with normal PCs.

http://youtu.be/TReJmvn5nKY?t=3m30s

Just right click on blank space on taskbar in windows -> select properties -> go to navigation -> check List desktop apps first in the Apps view when it's sorted by category. That affects searching for apps too and metro/modern UI apps will be lower in results than normal apps.

post-160790-0-98765100-1420388812.png

And now please make Linux experience videos. Please, please, please! You are Linus, your first name is committing to do it! :)

@4:05 ...

SHh3FYI.png

but you don't actually need it, as allmost all mac keyboards have dedicated shortcuts on F1 and F2 for brightness.

@4:15

H8OuiEN.png

wait, what? both mouse gestures and keyboard shortcuts for mission control are in 'mission control'?!

the keyboard shortcuts just also show up in the general keyboard shortcuts. I would be kinda idiotic if it weren't so ?!

@4:26

no you don't need a 3rd party plugin. you just use a different browser. or do you use Internet Explorer in Windows?

@5:40

sort by is NOT system wide. Not at all!

@5:52

no root directory for each drive? comon linus ... how long did you use the iMac really? 1 hour?

QYWt9AU.png

@6:05

no force refresh? why would I need a force refresh? when didn't a file popup the second you move it to a folder?

If I copy stuff on my linux server with my notebook it shows up right the second the copy is done?!

@6:15

Finder wide? ... nope actaully you can change the settings for each folder. you can (if you wish) set it finder wide.

@6:22

no cut and paste? yeah right, no cut and paste, put move!

just press cmd+c (copy) and cmd+alt+v (move). BOOOOOM!

you don't want to use shortcuts?

just open a new Finder Tab or window. this is my prefered way to move files anyway.

@6:34

because 4 options aren't sufficient to get to the superfolder?

when would you need a superfolder anyway that isn't reachable by the back button, when you don't even know about the file system structure?

u110n3h.png

funny how you corrected it for windows ...

@6:55

cause you have to use iPhoto to import pictures to your pc .... (no you don't)

iPhoto is an image organizer. You use iPhoto do NOT deal with separate folders.

@7:15

maximize is available as well.

But I will never get, why someone wants their browser to display content between two white walls.

or black walls:

bzGvGda.png

@7:30

F3 (mission control) + mosueclick must be really hard to use for a windows die hard ...

@9:30

middle click to mouse scroll costs money?

funny how it just use it everyday without installing anything extra.

@10:40

actually the imac has two microphones

I would like to see Linus list of 3rd party tools to make his windows experience better.

And then reason why he refuses to use any on OS X.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

I kind of hate to admit that i like Macs design, it looks good and as AIO computer it works but i wouldnt buy it. Mainly because i dont Apple as company, they are expensive and i like to play with my computer and upgrade it.

After watching these videos i might consider maybe that Macs could be good for work or as secondary computer or maybe media computer. Linus makes good points about Macs. I like these more in-depth tests/reviews like this iSwitched to Mac and Bang for buck motherboards videos.

I think general audience can pay attention as long as Linus or Luke have something to say, so if you have more to say and think there are more things viewers should know about or would be interested about then keep talking. ( Just saying that last part because it always bothers me when someone says that they are running out of time and dont have time to finish what they were saying)

EDIT: It would nice if you could sometimes take ubuntu or some smaller operating systems also to account when you talk about Mac and Windows, if you have time and interest. 

Linus, everything (almost) can be fixed with 3rd party apps, would you consider doing a video when this has been applied?

Love the video though, you talk balanced instead of spewing out profanity multiplied by profanity.

If it ain´t broke don't try to break it.

Linus, everything (almost) can be fixed with 3rd party apps, would you consider doing a video when this has been applied?

Love the video though, you talk balanced instead of spewing out profanity multiplied by profanity.

almost everything doesn't even need a 3rd party app ...

As a long time Windows and OS X user I honestly like to use both and I do on a daily basis. Both have their ups and downs. With OS X I like the keyboard shortcuts more than the ones in Windows. I also like using Disk Utility from OS X more than Disk Management in Windows. But I like how with a Windows desktop you can customize it and upgrade to your liking much easier than a Mac Desktop. Once you get used to how things are done on a mac you may grow to like it. But I think OS X is best used on a laptop instead of a desktop.

Maybe this was more of test of how easily average Windows user could start using Mac and how easily that person could over come difficulties of OS change ?

I know but then Linus could clarify what he said was wrong.

I say Linus, keep the iMac and review stuff for it, lots of people would watch it as well.

Maybe this was more of test of how easily average Windows user could start using Mac and how easily that person could over come difficulties of OS change ?

why does he correct errors he made about windows then, but not about os x?

why does he correct errors he made about windows then, but not about os x?

maybe he did those corrections before leaving to CES ? 

This is why you should do incremental update videos when you 'Switch' to stuff. Same with your previous switches, if you made them weekly vlog style videos or even brought them up on your WAN show you would have gotten fixes for nearly every complaint you had instead of getting to the end and not really caring anymore.

He doesn't use OSX at all like I use OSX. I almost never touch my mouse, I can do everything from keyboard commands.... one of the reasons why I like it so much.

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

It really doesn't matter whatever keyboard layout you have.

I am using Corsair K70 with German layout and it feels the same with the default US Macbook keyboard.

How? I remapped several keys to my personal preference so it feels the same with Karabiner.

And yes, the app is free.

but one with a Mac layout would have helped him remember which key is which, if you are not a frequent Mac user, it can get confusing really fast, that happened to me when I first used a Mac, not so much now

| --- My Stuff --- |

Computer: Apple Late-2008 Macbook Pro ; -Haguro- build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/296613-wip-project-haguro-x99-hackintosh-workstation/|

Mobile Devices: Apple 32GB 1st gen Ipad Mini ; Apple 16GB Iphone 5s ; Apple Ipod Classic 80Gb 5th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 120Gb 6th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 160Gb 7th Gen ; Apple Ipod Nano 16Gb 6th Gen 

It is important not to fault Linus, he gave his honest review and that is all that matters, no one is perfect.

Linus, let's try this. Pretend you're comparing this iMac and software experience to Windows XP or Windows Vista. Would you still have the same opinion?

If I'm comparing Mac OS X to Windows 7, 8, or "10", then yes. They're both "fine." Windows XP or Vista, on the other hand? I wholeheartedly feel OS X's user experience is better.

I personally really enjoy using Windows 7 (when it works), and looking forward to Windows 10's release as it's tempting me to at least build a value gaming system.

Oh, and as some people mention... You have a number of very big facts completely wrong:

- Finder is not system wide; some folders are like "All My Files" but not everything else. You can also view specific hard drives (though option is hidden by default I believe, as most systems have only one installed).

- You completely forgot about the fact that Mission Control can be used to preview windows before switching to them. You can enable Mission Control to group windows by application, then simply mouse over + space on a single window to preview it. It does require a lot of use to get used to compared to mousing over thumbnails, but it's a lot more powerful in my opinion as you can see more than just one app's windows at a time.

- iPhoto is an Image Organizer. If you want to simply get images off of a device, use Image Capture. It allows you to manually drag+drop images without importing them all first or import them all to a given folder.

- Middle click works fine. Get a real mouse.

Welp took me just 2-3weeks to figure out/have an idea on how to properly use osx. This coming from a guy who has only used Windows all his life and never ever use any osx ever and only just recently switched to it like 3 months ago. It wasn't that hard or really confusing tbh. All I did was just do some internet search. And I used Bing. Maybe thats why. Time to ditch Google. LOL..  /s

He could have at least have figured out how to adapt his keyboard to OSX, rather than just saying, that some preconfigured shortcuts are not availabe, wrong or whatever. did he do that to please his mainly windows focused crowd or was he just to lazy?

So what was wrong about him saying that the pre-configured settings are bad ? windows is great at so does linux I can't see what's wrong with him saying that, he plugged in the keyboard and the settings weren't that good, please don't be an idiot pleasing his windows fans just stop it and open your eyes.  

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

then he should have gotten one with a Mac layout from somewhere like WASD keyboards, I get it that it adds additional cost to the video production but using a normal windows layout keyboard on an OSX machine is just horrendous 

Wait make a costume one you mean I can't use my K70 ? I go to store buy a mechnical keyboard plug it in and expect it to work if it doesn't why can't he talk about it or point it out, I know you can edit the keys but he said preconfigured ones weren't that good.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

there are a few wrong info on this vid

first win 8.1 has up button in file explorer win 7 doesn't 

second you can right click install any font you like you don't have to drag to fonts folder

Windows 7 didn't need a folder up button, in the address bar you click the folder up

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL