Acer announcing 1440p 144Hz Gsync monitor with IPS (Update: Reviewed)

Faa

They have announced two 144Hz 1440p Gsync monitors with the difference being one is IPS and the other is not;

XB270HU Gsync 144Hz 1440p IPS Monitor;

XB270HU-Straight-On-640x459.jpg

The XG270HU 1440p 144Hz Gsync with 1MS response time (presuming it's a TN panel) with Edge-to-edge bezels;

Acer-XG270HU-1.png

Availability; The Acer XB270HU and XG270HU monitors will be available globally and begin shipping in March 2015. 

Source: http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/press/2015/151682

This post has been promoted to an article

Update; Review.

As it's an IPS panel, colors and viewing angles are as we used from IPS amazing, people were worried about the input lag/response time so;

lag.jpg

The overall gaming performance of the Acer XB270HU was honestly pretty amazing, beyond what we were expecting really. This screen is obviously aimed completely at gaming, and it won't disappoint. First of all you have the large 2560 x 1440 resolution which has been around for many years in this size format. This of course provides a huge boost in resolution, image quality and detail compared with the wide range of 1080p models. However, with the exception of the Asus ROG Swift PG278Q (and ignoring the overclockable Korean models) the 1440p models have all been limited until now to 60Hz refresh rate. This is the World's first 144Hz compatible IPS-type panel. You get the benefits of IPS technology including wide viewing angles and stable image appearance, combined with the high refresh rate, and frame rate support normally reserved for TN Film panels. The support for refresh rates up to 144Hz is obviously a huge benefit, providing smooth, fast and fluid movement and the ability to produce high frame rates for competitive gaming. As an additional note, you also get a lighter AG coating on this AHVA panel than on TN Film matrices.

Response times were very impressive and fast, and beyond what we expected from an IPS-type panel. We were expecting response times to be around the 8.6ms mark at best, which is what we'd experienced fairly consistently from other modern IPS panels. The refresh rate dynamically affects the overdrive control on this model, so response times reach down to 5.5ms G2G by the time you reach 144Hz. Best of all, if you stick to the 'normal' OD mode, all this is achievable without introducing any overshoot. The fastest TN Film models like the Asus ROG Swift PG278Q might have had slightly faster pixel transitions by a few ms, but their overshoot was at moderate levels. We actually preferred the artefact-free fluidity of the panel here and response times were low enough to be able to cope with the high frame rates offered. That's been the problem with overclockable Korean models, leading to common issues with ghosting and blurring even though you get a more fluid feel to the screen thanks to the overclocked refresh rate. Here, the pixel response times are very good so combined with the high refresh rate, it's a great gaming experience. As we've already mentioned, you also get the added benefits of the image quality offered from the IPS-type panel as compared with TN Film models.

Overall the review is extremely positive, only a few silly cons such as; limited connectivity (only DP) - No Nvidia 3D vision support (who cares) - doesn't have the gimmicks like the RoG offers and the OSD isn't that great. 

Source: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xb270hu.htm

Pre-order Pricing

Seems to be 750 eur, that's 50 eur more than the RoG swift making this is a nobrainer.

https://www.alternate.de/Acer/27-L-Predator-XB270HUbprz-G-Sync/html/product/1181210?campaign=Monitor/Acer/1181210

Oh the input lag on this is going to be obscene... IPS is not built to do these kinds of frame rates. I'm VERY cautiously optimistic...

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

NUyttbn.gif

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

47d9c92134daba9635fd92e639edbbac.jpeg

So true! :D  :)

-snip-

Use this:

NUyttbn.gif

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

This is an AHVA.  And a special panel by AU Optronics, so this is a first of it's kind, IPS performance, but not an LG IPS panel, but most AHVA panels -can- recreate 1.7B colors or atleast the high grade ones, so this should be.. -the- monitor.  1ms, AHVA, 144hz, 1440p, 27".  If they offer a Freesync variety or a 4k one.  I'd snag one *_*

And my next monitor is here. ROG swift plz step away from the throne.

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

Oh the input lag on this is going to be obscene... IPS is not built to do these kinds of frame rates. I'm VERY cautiously optimistic...

Even with the input lag, it's still going to be awesome.

Sig under construction.

Even with the input lag, it's still going to be awesome.

The input lag should be negligible.  It's an AHVA panel and a first of it's kind by AU Optronics, so this thing is likely to be a go-to nVidia g-sync monitor.  *_*

probably an LG panel

ive seen smaller companies do the same thing

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

probably an LG panel

ive seen smaller companies do the same thing

AHVA.  ^_^

Well okay both of those monitors sound incredible. The price is going to be crazy isn't it?

Too bad Samsung already announced a 180Hz PLS design with Freesync.

If Samsung gave a stand like Dell's Ultrasharp series, 3840x2160, AH-PLS(I want this), and Freesync, that'd be competitive.  

Edit:  @ 60hz

If Samsung gave a stand like Dell's Ultrasharp series, 3840x2160, AH-PLS(I want this), and Freesync, that'd be competitive.  

Edit:  @ 60hz

Asus' stands are better IMHO.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Well okay both of those monitors sound incredible. The price is going to be crazy isn't it?

Might be pricey-ish.  If it was $500 it'd sell like hot-cakes, but likely it'll be $600 - $700 given the price of the ROG Swift, but they'd probably want to undercut a little , so likely around the Swift's pricing, but not over so it can snag a -lot- of attention.  "IPS and $100 less than the Swift!" would make a lot of heads turn.

Just reading that headline made my wallet hurt. As much as I may want that monitor, there's no way I'll be able to afford it anytime soon.

:/

COMIC SANS

Now this will almost made me trade my 290x for a 970....almost thought I'm sure something similar with freesync will be at CES

You can be assured the Freesync equivalent is in the works.  Likely Samsung, LG, AOC, etc.  That 290x should get some variable-refresh panels to run soon :3