WARNING: STEAM TROJAN SCAM

NeatSquidYT

So unless your e-mail was compromised, how did they get into your account and send yourself those messages?

I dunno...

Enable 2-factor auth?

OK, I'll look into that

EDIT: Already have it

And for gmail too? :)

Not for gmail

EDIT: Now I do

So unless your e-mail was compromised, how did they get into your account and send yourself those messages?

It spams from the friends list. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

yeah i've had 4 messages like that and it downloaded bloat ware and trojan horse to my PC.

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

You log in from a new device, it sends you an email with a code, you enter the code onto device, and it's then authorised.

This one:attachicon.gifScreen shot 2015-01-02 at 12.06.13.PNGThat sends you mails like this one:attachicon.gifScreen shot 2015-01-02 at 12.06.51.PNGWhen you log in from a new browser/computer/device

Is that enabled with the Steam application?

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

You right click on steam in your taskbar, go to settings, and it says there wether it's on or off, and you can enable it from there too AFAIK

It spams from the friends list.

Soo they have accounts for that sole purpose and NeatSquid would not have needed to change his password?

I can't remember what I had to do as it was back in 2012 as seen in the screenshot, but IIRC all I did was verify my e-mail address.

Oh yes, you can disable it, but won't be able to trade.

post-27399-0-13628000-1420197448.png

Soo they have accounts for that sole purpose and NeatSquid would not have needed to change his password?

Email and password should still be changed. Once you download and run the linked file, your account will spam the friends list.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Email and password should still be changed. Once you download and run the linked file, your account will spam the friends list.

I'll change my email too then, right? I have a couple spare

#YouKnowWhenYoureATechieWhen

EDIT: Done

I don't think he ran it. Did he?

I don't think he ran it. Did he?

I don't think he did but it's also best to change the information to avoid additional spam. 

I don't think he did but it's also best to change the information to avoid additional spam. 

I pressed "Test" instead of "Install"

I pressed "Test" instead of "Install"

It doesn't make a difference which you pressed in this case.

I'm safe because i use Durex

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

Nope. But there was something going around not that long ago. It took your account and proceeded to send the virus to more people. 

That happened to me and @SAV1OUR

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

It doesn't make a difference which you pressed in this case.

I did a test on Malware Anti-Bytes and it says I'm clear, and I can't see any missing files.

That happened to me and @SAV1OUR

How'd you sort it? 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

I did a test on Malware Anti-Bytes and it says I'm clear, and I can't see any missing files.

Running the program gives permission to the Steam user account details. It has to do with the account and not the system the program is run on.

Running the program gives permission to the Steam user account details. It has to do with the account and not the system the program is run on.

Oh damn. I have no credit card info though

Oh damn. I have no credit card info though

The Steam account info is what allows them to use it to spam others. This is why your info should be changed if you ran the program.

I've had a recent Phishing Scam where a random person would add me, than after some time would send me a message about a friend trying to find me and it said here's the steam community profile link, use firefox or chrome to open and I assume it would fake a login. Looked at the link more carefully you can see it spelt community with an l. Reported the account and blocked them.

Information Security is my thing.

Running a entry/mid-range pc, upgrading it slowly.