WARNING: STEAM TROJAN SCAM

NeatSquidYT

Hi everyone,

Today I woke up to a ton of Steam messages sent from "me". It says "Hey bro, you need this?" And then a link to a screensaver, which is, according to Malware Anti-Bytes, a Trojan. If you get a message like this, don't click it. If "you" sent it, change your damn password like i had to do.

If you fell for it, simply use your favourite anti-virus/malware (I don't know the difference, and yes I know about the TechQuickie video) to remove it. Mine was Malware Anti-Bytes, and I used it to get rid ASAP. Took 3 minutes to scan my system and deleted it :)

Thanks

Thanks friend. I prob would have thought it was me from the future and clicked on it. xD thanks for the heads up.

Steam:Drift and Drift_2 <p>(name is hunter) Lets play:)

Thanks friend. I prob would have thought it was me from the future and clicked on it. xD thanks for the heads up.

yw, I thought it was from my friends, but then I realised I got hacked or smth

Wallapaper? jpg, png or jpeg would be open-able program?

Sorry, meant screensaver. Ty.

It wont be the first. Glad I know the majority of my friends list and how they type. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

It wont be the first. Glad I know the majority of my friends list and how they type. 

Has it happened to you before?

Has it happened to you before?

Nope. But there was something going around not that long ago. It took your account and proceeded to send the virus to more people. 

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Nope. But there was something going around not that long ago. It took your account and proceeded to send the virus to more people. 

I just changed my password, anything else I can do?

I just changed my password, anything else I can do?

If it is going through messages from friends, I don't know. 

I had to change my password when my Origin account was hacked. Still trying to recover that account. 

If it is going through messages from friends, I don't know. 

I had to change my password when my Origin account was hacked. Still trying to recover that account. 

it was from me though to my friends

it was from me though to my friends

Then, I'd assume that if they click it, they maybe screwed. 

I never get messages like that, maybe because I don't have a lot of friends.

Hi everyone,

Today I woke up to a ton of Steam messages sent from "me". It says "Hey bro, you need this?" And then a link to a screensaver, which is, according to Malware Anti-Bytes, a Trojan. If you get a message like this, don't click it. If "you" sent it, change your damn password like i had to do.

If you fell for it, simply use your favourite anti-virus/malware (I don't know the difference, and yes I know about the TechQuickie video) to remove it. Mine was Malware Anti-Bytes, and I used it to get rid ASAP. Took 3 minutes to scan my system and deleted it :)

Thanks

Don't you have the steam guard thingy enabled that sends you a mail with an activation code you need to type in in order to access steam from that plac?

Then, I'd assume that if they click it, they maybe screwed. 

I clicked it like an idiot, as I thought it was some sort of screenshot of CS:GO to me, but nope.avi

Don't you have the steam guard thingy enabled that sends you a mail with an activation code you need to type in in order to access steam from that plac?

Yeah I do

@WoodenMarker @alpenwasser

Could you pin this please, could be important to people

Uhh.. don't think so. This has been known about for a while and is a popular type of scam.

Moved to PC Gaming sub-forum.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I clicked it like an idiot, as I thought it was some sort of screenshot of CS:GO to me, but nope.avi

Ah bummer. 

Uhh.. don't think so. This has been known about for a while and is a popular type of scam.

Moved to PC Gaming sub-forum.

Oh, didn't know sorry.

What Steam guard thing?

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Ah bummer. 

Fortunately, I clicked "Test" instead of install, and Windows said that files had been removed from my documents, and did I want them back, so I clicked yes. Then I ran Malware Anti-Bytes.

Yeah I do

So unless your e-mail was compromised, how did they get into your account and send yourself those messages?

What Steam guard thing?

You log in from a new device, it sends you an email with a code, you enter the code onto device, and it's then authorised.