This is the most insane LAMP that last 40 years ( Huge Heatsink)

ahhming

ariel-light-1.jpg?w=625
8d4e26bbb381a81.jpg_600x600.jpg
Jake-Dyson-in-front-of-hi-012.jpg

Jake Dyson has developed a LED lamp called aerial  that will last 40 years if used for 12 hours a day. The key?
The massive radiators dissipating the heat which will keep the lamp always at 55 degrees or under.

f6fa147c-3aa3-11e4-_767453c.jpg

“The heat comes off the pipes, is transferred through the fins, and is then dispersed into the air, so you get a continual cycle of heat being removed.”

But theres a catch, it will cost $2000

The light also has a unique lens to give greater illumination and, as Dyson and his team discovered: “You need three or four of our competitors’ fittings to do what one of ours is doing, and each one of their fittings is the same power as one of ours, so that’s four times more electricity, four times more installation cost, and four times the product purchased cost, so Ariel actually comes out cheaply in comparison.”

Ariel is a 101W LED that delivers 87 lm/W
The Ariel range uses high-power CXA3050 Cree LEDs and heat pipe cooling technology to achieve unprecedented longevity.

More information will be release in MAY

Source:
http://bgr.com/2014/12/30/jake-dyson-aerial-light/

http://www.jakedyson.com/media/downloads/press/pdfs/junction_sep2014.jpg

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/dec/10/jake-dyson-led-light-design-lasts-40-years

http://www.jakedyson.com/products/ariel-uplight/
http://www.jakedyson.com/products/ariel-downlight/

2000$ lol

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I use my lamp 40 hours a day, so...

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

That is quite cool. I can imagine this being useful in say airports or office buildings, where electricity cost is important it and it would be convient to have a light last years and years 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

wtf dunno ow i posted tis

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

O.o, what is the wattage on that lamp? An 8W led lamp is already pretty bright, if it needs that large of a passive heatsink to stay under 55°C it must be like a small sun.

Someone crunch the numbers on electricity cost vs this thing over 50 40 years.

edit: a number

I use my lamp 40 hours a day, so...

how is that possible there are only 12 hours in a day

There's actually 24 hours in a single day. Typical waking time lasts 12 - 16 hours. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

how can it last 40 years if the world only exist for 2 days?

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

Hmm, but you get the same effect if you don't have an AC to DC inverter built into it, and run it solely of DC (it would be more efficient too as energy isn't being wasted in the conversion).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I'm surprised no one made a joke about AMD, kudos LTT.

how can it last 40 years if the world only exist for 2 days?

Projection, and its probably to about 70-75% brightness, LEDs take forever to stop shining.

PMSL

I'm surprised no one made a joke about AMD, kudos LTT.

Damn shame that they didn't have those coolers around when I had my FX8350, it wouldn't have burnt my house down then.

PMSL

How can this lamp last for 40 years if there are only 7 million people in this world?

On topic. I like the work that Dyson does. Truly innovative products albeit at a high cost. 

How can this lamp last for 40 years if there are only 7 million people in this world?

On topic. I like the work that Dyson does. Truly innovative products albeit at a high cost. 

Agreed, James Dyson has some awesome ideas, eventually those products become cheaper over time or are implemented by other companies

that said I love my dyson Hot and Cold bladeless fan :D 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The very nature of LEDs is why they can be made to last so long, with a normally LED lamp just from the local shops I got one that was rated with a 20 year lifespan (75% brightness-it will eventually end up being a bedside light)

PMSL

Overkill. I don't intend to leave my lamps to my grandchildren.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

The very nature of LEDs is why they can be made to last so long, with a normally LED lamp just from the local shops I got one that was rated with a 20 year lifespan (75% brightness-it will eventually end up being a bedside light)

Yes LEDs are fascinating technology.

I would have already invested into LEDs already if it were not for some overheating issues (most LED bulbs cannot survive in an enclosed space) and poor color rendering index. 

I'd like to see them ship the lamp with 40 years warranty, then I'll believe it.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

...$2000 for a cumbersome lamp?

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

...$2000 for a cumbersome lamp?

its designed as a replacement to the kind of lights you see hanging in office blocks, schools, more enterprise buildings, where the initial price can be accounted for easily and the saving realised, a office running one of these for 12 hours a day for 40 years would save money etc.

LED Bulbs have a quoted lifespan of roughly 50,000 hours or just under 53/4  years of continuous use. Most people will only have it on for 6-8 hours so realistically they should last 15-20 years.

So assuming the average the average LED bulb costs £10/$16 each (For 100W brightness bulbs) that would mean a cost of roughly £70/$112 to keep them on and replaced continuously for 40 years. You could even double that cost if light coverage is an issue but its still much cheaper.

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.