Ultimate Value Gaming Build Guide

The amazon links for the hard drive are stuck together, making the geni.us link not work.

Just did a build in that case; I went with the Gigabyte Z97X-SLI and a 4690k though. Seems like a pretty decent case and I got a good deal on it Black Friday. I haven't got a Graphics Card yet and am saving my pennies for a gtx 970; I have been pretty impressed with the Intel HD Graphics. I've been playing Wolfenstein on it at 720p and averaging 40fps and it plays lesser games even better.

0jDLUXA.jpg

7V7YITZ.jpg

afVwVuO.jpg

pls fix the font colour in OP so it's readable in night theme, nick.

Man, that case is fugly imo, but obviously aesthetics is not a priority in a value oriented build like this.  I personally would've picked the 200R, which has almost identical internals and price but with cleaner look.

What a great build guide!

Honestly, if this kind of quality is maintained in future build guides, you are sure to do well. However, you did gloss over a few things, for example you described having the psu installed with the "grill up" for "better cooling" without much context as to why, as people who dont have a carpet may not benefit from this.

Apart from just little things like this, if you were to flesh out any considerations like this, and spend just give a bit more time explaining "why", newer builders will be given more context and be able to apply that to their own builds.

Great video, keep it up MLG LMG!

"A Hard-drive costs the same as going to the Movies"

Erm.

No it doesn't. Going to the movies with some friends costs £15 at Max, however a good 1TB hard-drive will set you back at least £40. Well over double... 

I like the asus board but bang for the buck I probably would of gone with the MSI 797-G45 it's slightly less and it gives an option to add a Msata :)

Oh and Gskills ripjaws are on new egg for $64.99 for (2x4gig) 8 gig's of ram.

Few points of discussion:
First; even though you went into the subject of tacking on peripherals; you forgot to include sound assets unless you intended monitor speakers to be implied.
Second, this is the rock-bottom cost of everything EXCLUDING those CYO peripherals and the bulk storage: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4ht2ZL ~$685 with $50 worth of MIRs.
This is my go-to build for most budget builds around $650-$750: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Hd9Hbv ~$740 with $45 worth of MIRs
Key points: Per thread performance between the CPUs is somewhat worse in my build, but it's quadcore and that in and of itself lends to outperforming the G3258 in a lot of high-end games and being considerably better at multi-tasking. Things like web browsing; while listening to music; while gaming; while anything else does perform considerably better especially if someone wanted to get into streaming. GPU is flat out better in every way and doesn't cost much more. SSD is higher capacity, and unless comparing side-by-side nobody is going to know the difference between an Intel 530 and a Crucial M500. Better PSU that will last through an upgrade to CFX x2. Motherboard is less expensive, offers reasonable overclocking features, and custom audio integrated.
Are they close? Not even. Just that $55 more offers substantially better base-line components that won't need replaced when the time comes to upgrade. Cost to upgrade mine? Another R9 285 for likely around $100 by the time the client needs it and the PSU is ready for it after using some adaptors. And suppose this build is just outside your budget; get the R7 260X as suggested. Then the price is about the same but you still get that higher capacity SSD, higher wattage PSU, and a quadcore CPU.

Sources:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+X4+860K+Quad+Core&id=2362
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Pentium+G3258+%40+3.20GHz&id=2267
http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/AMD+Radeon+R9+285/review
http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/AMD+Radeon+R7+260X/review
And my own testing on a client-by-client basis.

P.S. Not trying to come off as aggressive here, but the Intel favoritism is rather annoying when there are clear advatages to going quadcore even mentioned in the video itself yet no mention of this affordable alternative.
EDIT: And even if Intel did sponsor this video - which should've been noted at the begining - doesn't mean you shouldn't be allowed to point out alternatives not made by Intel. If you let Intel dictate the product featuring of one of if not the biggest tech channel on youtube to the point that their competitor doesn't get more than one highlight out of a hundred videos, then something is wrong. We need the competition, especially since Intel is already kicking back like it owns the place thanks to having most of the reviewers in their pocket.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/6145146?
This is how you own price to performance.
"Life is too precious to be wasted in misery." -Me.

The volts on that cpu look a bit high, 1.65v????

Workstation:
Intel Core i7 5820k @ 4.4Ghz, Asus Rampage V Extreme, 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 4 2400 DDR4,2 x Nvidia 980 Gtx Reference Cards in Sli,
1TB - 4 x 250Gb Samsung Evo 840 Raid 0, Corsair AX1200i, Lian Li PC-D600 Silver.

-snip-

yea alot of work to be done on the build

like your build, just lookin quickly at it it looks ok apart from n400 that is pain in the ass to clean and i would never buy it with that price tag

we can make a seperate thread on this or we can wait for Budget Build-off in Planning section of forum right @dragoon20005. This video is more of a build(ing) guide than planning and build guide.

In video Linus forgot to tell ppl they come in Planning section of this forum.

Athlon 860k and FM2 board (crossblade ranger or something with decent audio out and gaming oriented features) is cheaper and better solution... also, a reference card? Why? And you should pick 850 Evo over intel SSD

This is why it is bad for this kind of videos to have sponsors like intel. If you already have some kind of deal with NCIX, you should also include in that deal the possibility to from time to time they let you choose components for various builds that you want from their inventory, make a PC, make a video about it, then return it to them to sell it. It is a win-win scenario, as they will sell it easily (because we assume that it is reasonably built)

Otherwise stellar video, production, and image quality

My 5000€ dream machine
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qzFFLD

just built myself an budget gaming rig using the amd 860k and it surprised me how well it does once overclocked for the price.

Just want to say. As the first video for 2015 the production quality was superb.

I loved the little fine details that was added to the video. The snaps of seating the cooler, etc.

And the end of the video with the credits is also a great inclusion. Well done guys!

I can't wait to see how CES will be like this year.

I'd rather get g3258 + Z97 chipset than any similarly priced AMD "alternative". You can put an you can swap the g3258 for an i5 or i7 or broadwell down the road whereas you are basically stuck with AMD.

For those of you nitpicking about the SSD, he mentions specifically in the video that you should just get whatever is on sale for both SSD and RAM.

how much would all this cost?

and happy new year everyone! B)

Wow, Intel finally saw fit to step into what has been AMD's marketing territory for a while and sponsor a remotely affordable build. O.o

I didn't need to wait to the end to believe this was sponsored by Intel, since Linus' build guides always seem to be sponsored by the manufacturer of the CPU used (except for the "holiday season" build guides, which appear to be more even-handed).

Why that motherboard? What features does it have that justify its higher price compared to, say, http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=425456? (Note that $NZ are worth considerably less than $US)  If you're willing to step down to a micro ATX board (and with this kind of budget, I don't see why you wouldn't be), there's also http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=423083 or http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=425458 (although the second one has a conspicous lack of heatsinks).

Edit: Although, if I assume that someone on this kind of budget would hold onto their motherboard for about 5 years or more, buying a slightly more expensive one in the hope that it lasts longer, -may- be justified. (?)

For upgradeability... a Skylake i5 will probably serve the user of this board well until 2020 at least. The video card... can probably be upgraded to whatever seems sensible in 2 or 3 years, assuming we still use PCIe 3.0. The PSU... may or may not have to be upgraded with the video card.

For the SSD... The Asrock boards lack the M.2 slot, but will a user on this kind of budget ever want to use it? Even in 5 years?

I do not really get one thing, a 150 dollar motherboard was used with a ton of expansion slots, but also a 430w PSU because you don't plan on upgrading. And i don't like the idea of a motherboard more expensive than a GPU for something value-oriented. And are they that heavily sponsored to recommend Intel SSD's? Samsung or one of the other major brands are at least as good as those Intel ones. That's just my feedback.

The Asus B85M-G is my personal choice for value builds, comes with nothing more than what a gamer would need.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

I don't get the CPU/Mobo combo.

The Mobo is bloody expensive.

Wouldn't it be better to go for a cheaper mobo and get a better CPU?

There was once a thing that you can overclock on B85 and H87, don't know if that's still possible.

FX-8120 | ASUS Crosshair V Formula | G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3-1866 CL9 | Club3D Radeon R9 290 RoyalAce |Thermaltake Chaser MkIII | 128GB M4 Crucial + 2TB HDD storage | Cooler Master 850M | Scythe Mugen 3 | Corsair Strafe RGB | Logitech G500

personally if the build uses cheaper parts here and there it might be this

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($68.98 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Plus ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($100.98 @ Newegg)

Memory: Mushkin Essentials 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($103.77 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270 2GB TurboDuo Video Card ($131.98 @ Newegg)

Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $575.68

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-01 09:06 EST-0500

The board supports SLi and CF for future expansion. SanDisk have been in the memory business for quite a while and as a user of both the SD card and SSD. They are value for money. And if you want more performance you can go for the Extreme Pro version. Buying a bigger PSU might be overkill for the current build but I chose it because of the future upgrades in mind like CF or SLi gpus and i5 or i7 cpu in the near future.

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Sorry Linus, love your channel and the site, but this is a retarded build. Instead of wasting the $200 this G3258 + Z97 board cost might as well have spent $220 on an i5-4440 and a B85 board. No one on an extreme budget is going to be using SLI, so what's the point of Z97? Not a lot of value in this system.

You could also factor out overclocking ability and expandability(mainly in multi-GPU configs) in budget builds and things would be a bit cheaper.

$50 H81 boards exist even from ASUS. Cheapest i5 I've seen is about $190. Or just get an i3 and spend the rest on a better GPU overall, there are some $200 GTX 760s or maybe you could find a close to $200 GTX 670.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

You could also factor out overclocking ability and expandability(mainly in multi-GPU configs) in budget builds and things would be a bit cheaper.

$50 H81 boards exist even from ASUS. Cheapest i5 I've seen is about $190. Or just get an i3 and spend the rest on a better GPU overall, there are some $200 GTX 760s or maybe you could find a close to $200 GTX 670.

In the US you can get the i5-4440 for $165 with free shipping from NCIX.

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?usaffiliateid=1000031504&sku=89861&vpn=BX80646I54440&manufacture=Intel&promoid=1205