"Dimmdrive" to be released on Steam tomorrow

MrTomnus

Most of the reviews are negative on Steam but honestly I read some of those reviews and really they are stupid. Most of them blame the program for stuff that's not its fault. I saw one guy blaming the program for not having enough RAM in his machine. Seriously.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Everyone that's complaining that it's useless, you can just buy an ssd and get almost the performance, nah.

There's games out there that will benefit from just allocating 4 gigs you already have so you don't have a stuttering game. I've run quite a few things off a ramdisk and the instant loading and saving is nice.

Definitely picking this up when I can.

Get 64GB's or 128GB's of ram and put windows on it. That would be epic.

You can already do that with current RAMDisk software. It does take a couple of minutes to boot though, as the OS has to be read into RAM before it can boot.

Run Raid 0 with PCIe SSDs, you'd start getting close to RAM speeds-not that you really that much speed currently.

Takes up PCI-E slots though. Most motherboards wouldn't have the slot spacing to do 2x sli/crossfire, 2xPCI-E SSD and a sound-card, for example.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I can see a few advantages. One of them being for games with very large texture files that need loading. If you have a GPU that doesn't have the memory to accommodate large textures, the program should eliminate framerate tanking, since before the system would have to grab textures from a comparatively sluggish HDD rather than RAM. So in a word it should allow you to enable ultra textures on ANY game, regardless of the limit the game recommends.

isn't the latency from the GPU to system ram too high to be used as pseudo-VRAM?

who has 15-20gb free memory to load games into it.

i have 16gb and thats a lot. i dont see anyone other then video editors having the ram that would be needed. 

i dont see this as something to really be used to ramdisk an entire game. but i do see some good uses for programmers, imagine being able to load your entire IDE in a  few seconds as opposed to waiting for everything to load into ram off the disk. put your web browser and a few other absolute critical programs into a ram disk (say 25% of your ram) and it could be very useful

I'm stuck at 16GB because Microsoft (the greedy bastards) locks Windows 7 Home premium at 16GB.

FWIW some of the RAMDisks can use windows unmanaged memory. Quite a few people would use this on their 32-bit systems with 4GB RAM where only 3GB or so was used by windows due to the 4GB physical addressing limit giving 1GB or so free for use with a RAMDisk. Same could be done on 64-bit systems for cases where theres more RAM than the Windows OS allows to be used.

Some games' loading speed, like Star Citizen, are not even read speed limited in the first place, since the cpu needs to unpack and process assets. This leads to a situation where the hard drive performance, after a certain level, doesn't even matter anymore since you are cpu bound in any case.

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

I've been using a second SSD for Games storage (D:) and then I point Ramcache (not ramdisk) software at that drive.

Seems like it's close to the same thing... my frequently used files on that one drive (Game files) are thrown into a ramcache (a size of my choosing)
http://www.superspeed.com/desktop/supercache.php

Price is too much for most people, I have 2 licenses from the one purchase (Work/Home)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Id love to give this a go... bloody cost of getting the ram though. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

I'd have to have like 32GB of ram just to play skyrim with that.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W