"Dimmdrive" to be released on Steam tomorrow

MrTomnus

no, it stores stuff in RAM which is the second fastest memory in the system (CPU cache is fastest) but probably best to use it for reads only cause its volatile

Like modern RamDisk programs is should offer real-time writing to disk as well

Information Security is my thing.

Running a entry/mid-range pc, upgrading it slowly.

Awesome . I can't wait for this to be released. I won't use it since I only have 8GB of ram, but that doesn't mean I can't use it in the future once ram gets even larger and cheaper.

This looks great, might grab it from the site now as it's only $29 compared to the $34 on release.

Even though these types of programs have been out for ages, this seems to be an easier approach to it.

Though the GUI could be improved upon. IMO anyways. I understand its just a startup.

Desktop Build
Spoiler
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866MHz - 16GB
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 780 - 3GB, MSI GeForce GTX 780 - 3GB
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro - 128GB, Western Digital Blue - 1TB, Seagate Barracuda - 1TB, Seagate Barracuda - 3TB
PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 750W
Display(s): Dell Ultrasharp 27" (2560 x 1440)
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014
Mouse: Logitech G502
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Laptop
Spoiler
Current
CPU: Intel Core i7-4710HQ
RAM: 16GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970M
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO - 250GB, Hitachi Travelstar 7K1000 - 1TB
Display(s): 15.6" IPS Display (1920 x 1080)
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Old - Given away
CPU: Intel Core i7 2630QM
RAM: 6GB
GPU: Nvidia GT 540M
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro - 128GB, Toshiba - 750GB
Display(s): 15.6" Display (1366 x 768)
Operating System: Windows 7

Other (Audio & Devices)
Spoiler
Speakers: Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II
Headphones: Sennheiser Momentum - Over-Ear
Bluetooth Speaker: Logitech UE Boom, Logitech UE Boom 2
Tablet: iPad 4th Gen
Phone: LG G4

Phone Accessories:
3 Spare Batteries
1 Battery Pack (10000 mAh)
IEMs: Can't Remember....

Retired Devices:
Samsung S4 (Broke... Half Fixed, Given away)
NDS (Traded in)
iPod Touch 2nd Gen (Traded in)
iPod Touch 4th Gen (Damaged Power Connector)

who has 15-20gb free memory to load games into it.

i have 16gb and thats a lot. i dont see anyone other then video editors having the ram that would be needed. 

same here. but there are some games that are very small for what they deliver. mgs V: ground zeroes is just 3GB.

it's time for some jolly cooperation!

what's the difference with this program and using RAPID mode on the Samsung ssd's?

RAPID uses up to 4GB RAM to speed up the SSDs I/O (assuming RAPID 2.0. If you're on RAPID 1.0, it's 1GB maximum). You use this software to manually choose how much RAM you want to dedicate to ramdisk and what games/other programs will specifically benefit from it.

This looks great, might grab it from the site now as it's only $29 compared to the $34 on release.

Even though these types of programs have been out for ages, this seems to be an easier approach to it.

Though the GUI could be improved upon. IMO anyways. I understand its just a startup.

The guy who made it says he'll most likely keep the lowered $29 price.

Wont you need to load the files back into the disk each startup?

also why not just use https://vikingvpn.com/blogs/off-topic/how-to-run-steam-games-on-ram-drive?

Yeah you'll need to load the files back. Also the reason why you would choose DimmDrive is so you don't have to manually move the files, it's scripted to do that for you. In combination with real time synchronisation, it's basically pay US$29 to make the process hassle free.

Good trick, but I just don't see myself getting a bucketful of ram before getting something like an m.2 stick instead. But it's good to have the option for like people on workstations at work who want to fuck around for a bit with tons of unused ram

-------

Current Rig

-------

I was using ramdisks for playing Minecraft. Even professional Minecraft servers are doing this. It's one of those games that benefits extremely from faster access times.

But I can't think of any other game where you actually need that kind of speeds.

I can see a few advantages. One of them being for games with very large texture files that need loading. If you have a GPU that doesn't have the memory to accommodate large textures, the program should eliminate framerate tanking, since before the system would have to grab textures from a comparatively sluggish HDD rather than RAM. So in a word it should allow you to enable ultra textures on ANY game, regardless of the limit the game recommends.

The speed is just good for loading times in general. It should take literally 2-3 seconds rather than 20-30 to load levels by using RAM to store the program.

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

RAM disks have been around for a while and it seems like the major set back of it being simply too expensive still holds true, especially with SSDs these days. You can buy 32GB of RAM for about $275 + $30 for software leaving you at $305 total. There are a handful of SSDs in the 500GB range available around $300, that would seem like a much smarter investment in money for general use. Especially consider the fact that a lot of games coming out these days are bigger than the 32GB would allow you to load you will still not be able to load full games into your RAM. Furthermore, if you are really going after massive speed consider getting a PCI-Express SSD. They are more expensive than SATA SSDs but if you were considering paying $300 for 32GB of storage I don't think it would be much of a stretch to pay $200 for 128GB or $380 for $256.

Of course it would be interesting to see some benchmarks. Compare and SSD to PCI-E SSD to the Dimmdrive and see how much loading times actually increase.

It's difficult to realize how much 50gb really is. I was reminded just yesterday when I got COD Advanced Warfare as a gift. The thing was 6 discs of DVD's. I remember when CD's were enough to store a game

Yeah, it really is quite a large size!

Then you have a reason to get more RAM! :D

And a new motherboard and cpu to support that large amount of ram.

no, it stores stuff in RAM which is the second fastest memory in the system (CPU cache is fastest) but probably best to use it for reads only cause its volatile

I see.

I would never pay for a ram drive and if your computer does not suck the gains are often marginal gains in most games.

I use IMDisk to create a ram drive for free, it can write to Physical memory for speed or write to an image file for persisantce, also a image file and be preloaded before use, or cached as it used.

Then use Symbolic links to point the to the ram drive from an existing location.

http://www.ltr-data.se/opencode.html/

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa363878(v=vs.85).aspx

Personally I use raided HDD and am happy with the performance, however if your running steam games from a USB drive I can see the advantage for a ram drive otherwise this is a gimmick.

Time to get tons of ram alongside my new ssd :D

PC Specs: - *NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange* - *AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz* - *CM Hyper 212 EVO* - *Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3* - *Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mHz* - *Gigabyte 780 Ti* - *Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm HDD* - *ModXStream PRO 600W PSU* -

Monitors: 2x BenQ GL2450 and 1x Some 22" 1080P Tv

Looking at the Steam reviews... 

People dont recommend buying this on Steam as the Steam DRM makes a lot more difficulties to use this properly. Almost everyone suggest to get this program outside of Steam.

Steam review:

Buy this outside of Steam, not through Steam. 

If you run it with Steam, it always shows you as playing "Dimmdrive" while you're actually playing other games. 

I tried to send an invite to play Civ over Steam and it told him I was inviting him to play Dimmdrive. 

If you run it outside of Steam, it works with Steam but doesn't affect your Steam profile and play stats.

And a new motherboard and cpu to support that large amount of ram.

Totally worth it?

SSDs are getting ever faster, but still not as fast as RAM. It would seem that the next big step in the evolution of PC hardware would be to have a large amount of RAM (120GB+) with your OS and main programs/apps, eliminating the need for a "separate" SSD apart from the motherboard. Cheap, large mass-storage HDDs will still be around for obvious reasons, but this "ramdisk" concept makes a lot of sense. Have your most used programs/apps on the ramdisk for instant load times and system response.

Sounds like a cool idea and gives incentive to buy more ram. :P

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

SSDs are getting ever faster, but still not as fast as RAM. It would seem that the next big step in the evolution of PC hardware would be to have a large amount of RAM (120GB+) with your OS and main programs/apps, eliminating the need for a "separate" SSD apart from the motherboard. Cheap, large mass-storage HDDs will still be around for obvious reasons, but this "ramdisk" concept makes a lot of sense. Have your most used programs/apps on the ramdisk for instant load times and system response.

Sounds like a cool idea and gives incentive to buy more ram. :P

Run Raid 0 with PCIe SSDs, you'd start getting close to RAM speeds-not that you really that much speed currently.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Looking at the Steam reviews... 

People dont recommend buying this on Steam as the Steam DRM makes a lot more difficulties to use this properly. Almost everyone suggest to get this program outside of Steam.

Steam review:

Ya I seen the reviews as well. Not looking real good where that's concerned. 

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

Well, I do have 32gb of ram...

Question #2, do you have $34? ;)

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Question #2, do you have $34? ;)

yes... :)

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla