"Dimmdrive" to be released on Steam tomorrow

MrTomnus

Yes please I want to see a review on this! been looking for a program like this for ages but was not sure of the quality of what is out there on the market maby steam will give us something good or maby not we shall see !! 

Once i see reviews for this ill decide if its worth it. 

\/Specs\/

Xeon E3 1230 V3-Maximus vi hero-2x4gb G skill RipjawsX 2133-EVGA supernova-1 tb seagate-Samsung 840 EVO 1TB-NZXT H440-EVGA 6Gb 780 Razer-Blackwidow Ultimate-Corsair M65

MSI Ghost Pro GS60 

When DDR4 comes to the consumer platform and 16GB DIMMs become fairly standard, this type of software will become more and more relevant.

Remember, 8GB of RAM to someone in the 1960s would be ridiculous

lol, 8GB in the 1960s

The first hard drive to have more than 1GB in capacity was in 1980, and we're talking about a hard drive!

I'd be surprised if PCs in the 60s had 8KB of RAM

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

i believe when you launch a game it loads it into a ram disk and when you exit the game it deletes the ram disk.

It does not. When you enable DimmDrive, it puts the files/programs you've selected onto the ramdisk. What it does then is the new and nice part. It automatically creates a symlink to the ramdisk as part of loading the files so Steam and whatnot don't even realise it's pulling the data from your ramdisk. Finally, DimmDrive writes back changes in real time so even if you suddenly lose power you (theoretically anyway) haven't lost anything.

That said, I've tested with Borderlands The Pre-Sequel (the only game I have installed that I could put in its entirety in RAM) and haven't found a decrease in loading times (running G.Skill Ares 16GB 1866MHz) compared to my SSD (Crucial M500 480GB). Your Mileage May Vary as it is dependent on the game pulling data from the drive a lot.

But then you do get those 50GB games.

Then you have a reason to get more RAM! :D

Hmm this would be interesting, I'd like to try this out.

I tried out an free open source solution that kind of did the same thing, just a bit more quirky. The games load faster and all that but the game's still going to have to load and the game will bottleneck the RAM.

When DDR4 comes to the consumer platform and 16GB DIMMs become fairly standard, this type of software will become more and more relevant.

Remember, 8GB of RAM to someone in the 1960s would be ridiculous

1992-Ram was in 1MB sticks (for my 386 anyway), with 8MB being expensive. 85MB HDDs were quite common. So far I am the only one in my family who even has a computer that is from after 2009 and as a result of 16 GB DDR3 I'm also the only one in my entire family who is capable of running a RAM disk.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Get 64GB's or 128GB's of ram and put windows on it. That would be epic.

I was using ramdisks for playing Minecraft. Even professional Minecraft servers are doing this. It's one of those games that benefits extremely from faster access times.

But I can't think of any other game where you actually need that kind of speeds.

Get 64GB's or 128GB's of ram and put windows on it. That would be epic.

Doesn't work like that, remember that RAM is volatile storage.

I was using ramdisks for playing Minecraft. Even professional Minecraft servers are doing this. It's one of those games that benefits extremely from faster access times.

But I can't think of any other game where you actually need that kind of speeds.

Halo CE with loads of large maps.

PMSL

Doesn't work like that, remember that RAM is volatile storage.

Halo CE with loads of large maps.

lol, 8GB in the 1960s

The first hard drive to have more than 1GB in capacity was in 1980, and we're talking about a hard drive!

Atari 2600: 128 bytes of RAM.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

lol, 8GB in the 1960s

In the 70s 1kb onboard ram was regarded as "all you'll ever need"... In the 60s they had only just started manufacturing semiconductor RAM :P

who has 15-20gb free memory to load games into it.

i have 16gb and thats a lot. i dont see anyone other then video editors having the ram that would be needed. 

at least it gives me an excuse to get another 16gb of ram if it works well

''FX-9590 Hotter than lava''

at least it gives me an excuse to get another 16gb of ram if it works well

I'm stuck at 16GB because Microsoft (the greedy bastards) locks Windows 7 Home premium at 16GB.

PMSL

I'm stuck at 16GB because Microsoft (the greedy bastards) locks Windows 7 Home premium at 16GB.

that sucks.

and all this time i though i wasted my money by buying win 7 professional

''FX-9590 Hotter than lava''

what's the difference with this program and using RAPID mode on the Samsung ssd's?

AMD Ryzen 7950X3D [x2 360 Rad EKWB] | Asus Extreme x670E | RTX TUF 4090 OC@3GHz [EKWB Block] | Corsair HX1500i | G.Skill Neo CL30 6000MHz (2x32GB) | MP700 2TB Gen5 + 980/950 Pro 1TB M.2 | x6 85PRO 512GB | NAS 4x 18TB Seagate Exo Raid 10+Backblaze | Lian-Li o11D XL | Main Screen: Samsung OLED G9 | AUX: LG IPS7 27" (x2) LG CX 55" G-Sync | Copyright©1996-2024 Teletha All rights reserved. ®

that sucks.

and all this time i though i wasted my money by buying win 7 professional

I was going to get a copy of that, but it would have added another $200 AUD to my rig, and it was already pushing $1.2K

PMSL

I would like to see a review. Might even inspire me to add more ram if it's really worth it

How does this work? Is it a con?

no, it stores stuff in RAM which is the second fastest memory in the system (CPU cache is fastest) but probably best to use it for reads only cause its volatile

Just bought it cause I know its useful on business side like photoshop and video editing, there's only a smaller of population from games that can benefit from this like heavy textures loading. What I also like is the USB 3.0 turbo ram support so someone like me can be lazy in buying an ssd (too much work since I want Os and select of my 80 games in it isolated to it from my 1TB hdd), and put a game that I'm hoping to see that will benefit. I'm going to test Assassin Creed Unity in hopes it will change my 40 sec load time.

Information Security is my thing.

Running a entry/mid-range pc, upgrading it slowly.