fx 8350 bottleneck

abdoo

Since u already have the CPU you can definitely go for a 290X or 970. In 90 % of games it will be fine. I am sure you will definitely have an increase in performance. However if you are still not satisfied then you can surely upgrade your CPU later only if you play older games. For example my 760 gets bottlenecked in AC Brotherhood as GPU usage never goes over 80 %. While my 8350 usage goes high. But it doesn't matter as I get over 120 FPS. Anyways leave the CPU and you can go with a 970. It offers less power consumption, heat output, Nvidia Card, PhysX. etc I have heard that AMD CPUs work better with Nvidia Cards. The 970 is a worthier choice over a 290X.

| CPU: Intel Core i5 8400 | Motherboard: MSI Z370 PC Pro | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 PLUS | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 AMP! Edition | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 16GB DDR4 2400 MHz | PSU: Corsair VS650 | SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Monitor: Dell S2240L | OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 |

That first JayzTwoCents video is showing Valley benchmark which is designed to bottleneck GPU with not much load on the CPU. It's a GPU stress test. Games tend to use a good bit of both CPU and GPU. The whole point to the term bottlenecking is figuring out at what point the CPU reaches its limits and more GPU power stops accomplishing anything useful (e.g. with my old Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz a GTX 460, GTX 560 and GTX 760 all performed identically in most of my games). This point will vary depending on the game as some require more CPU power than others... for example BF4 multiplayer uses multitudes more CPU than Tomb Raider. Valley Benchmark is designed to not use your CPU much because the whole point of it is to bench GRAPHICS PERFORMANCE and nothing else.

I don't understand why Jay even made that video to be honest...

And for that second video, Jay has never done a side by side test of any sort. He used an FX-8350 back in the days of Battlefield 3 playing the game at full ultra settings on a GTX 680... then he upgraded to an i7-3770K with SLI GTX 680s and never did a comparison or performance test. He has also since moved to 120/144Hz monitors and 3-way GTX 780 (and subsequently 980) setup with an i7-5960X. I highly doubt he would be getting a good experience in BF3 and BF4 on an FX-8350 trying to push 120/144Hz smoothly. Word of mouth of someone guesstimating his performance between an FX-8350 and GTX 680 playing BF3 maxed (probably GPU bottleneck since back then the GTX 680 only got avg fps of around 70-75 with the top of the line CPU when at ultra + 4x MSAA) and 3770K and SLI GTX 780s in BF4 isn't really what I'd call good data.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

I've yet to see any bottlenecks on my Core 2 rig (unless the game is for quad cores-then it struggles), but an FX 8350 should do just fine, you may get a dropped frame every now and then (it can be a tad slower than older Intel cpus at times) but you should still be able to enjoy any game you play at high settings.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I am not very sure about bottleneck but it shows that the FX-8350 is facing a performance wall in many games.

Good for the price (maybe) but how are you gonna upgrade from FX-8350? AMD killed the the FX line and now not only I am upgrading the CPU to i7 but I need to buy a brand new motherboard too, super annoying.

With an i5 it is simple: i5 -> i7. Easy.

FX-8350 -> I7 + new motherboard.

And the FX-9xxx series is just so hot and power hungry they needed a watercooler -_- and a decent motherboard.

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

PC lab is bad exmaple...They dont know much about throtling of CPU and dont cooling VRM of CPU. I had better resulsts in some hard CPU benchmarks than they had (with same settings of CPU FX Vishera)....

A probable cause of the reason why AMD FX cpus score so low is overheating VRMs and Northbridges, I admittedly had the same 'issues' that FX cpus get with my Core 2 E8500, and guess what? All I needed to do was ghetto a fan onto the NB heatsink, and ensure that there was airflow across the VRM. As a result I now have no issues at all with throttling (and I know it was the NB as the PCI wifi card stopped working, the graphics of games was really choppy, and the NB was too hot to touch).

PMSL

I run a pair of 270X's, which are about on par with a 290X or a GTX 970.  I've run them on an 8350@ Stock and now an 8370 @ 4.9 GHz.

Benchmarking a few games...keep in mind I have a 120 FPS cap and a 2 GB Vram limit which causes performance degradation with some games without lowering textures a bit.  1920x1080 resolution.

Shadow of Mordor Ultra Preset (Goes over 2 GB VRAM, which reduces performance.)

Maximum FPS 127

Average FPS 78

Minimum FPS 29

Thief Very High Preset D3D11 (Again, over VRAM limit.)

Maximum FPS 90

Average FPS 45

Battlefield 4 Ultra Preset

Maximum FPS 120

Average FPS 88

Minimum FPS 68

Sniper Elite III Ultra Preset

Maximum FPS 120

Average FPS 112

Far Cry 3 Ultra Preset w/4xMSAA and HDAO

Maximum FPS 100

Average FPS 72

Minimum FPS 61

Here's the short and skinny.

Yes, you will be "bottlenecked".  You'll get 90-110 FPS instead of 120-150 FPS.  When a game requires the extra GPU however, it won't be restricted from delivering it's fullest in most games.  (Some games like Arma 3 are actually bottlenecked, wherein everyone gets the same framerate with the CPU regardless of GPU.)  At 1080p you won't stress the card enough to see full utilization all the time, and there is very little benefit to doing so. However (and this is the fucking important part) you will have no issues playing games extremely well on highest quality settings.  

So in short: you will see huge performance gains over the single 7870 in games.  You don't have to spend $200-400 replacing your motherboard and CPU with an i3/i5 to experience a worthwhile performance upgrade.  You will however get better performance if you do, but it's going to cost you way more money.

You can even go on youtube and see plenty of people running FX CPU's with 290X's and doing just fine.  Unless you want to win the benchmark circlejerk, FX will serve you fine for playing games.   

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Not only in average FPS

A probable cause of the reason why AMD FX cpus score so low is overheating VRMs and Northbridges, I admittedly had the same 'issues' that FX cpus get with my Core 2 E8500, and guess what? All I needed to do was ghetto a fan onto the NB heatsink, and ensure that there was airflow across the VRM. As a result I now have no issues at all with throttling (and I know it was the NB as the PCI wifi card stopped working, the graphics of games was really choppy, and the NB was too hot to touch).

Pretty much telling me AMD always have heat issue whether its CPU, APU, GPU or motherboard, not all the time but many times.

Right now my FX-8350 is throttling during the hot summer days here in Australia, yes I am using a stock cooler and yes I have a crappy motherboard but even at idle it shouldn't be like this.

R9 290 are very hot but luckily I choose the Vapor-X cooler which is like $100 more than other non-reference coolers, never goes beyond 75 degrees Celsius but it is still quite hot for a premium cooler.

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

Not only in average FPS

Pretty much telling me AMD always have heat issue whether its CPU, APU, GPU or motherboard, not all the time but many times.

Right now my FX-8350 is throttling during the hot summer days here in Australia, yes I am using a stock cooler and yes I have a crappy motherboard but even at idle it shouldn't be like this.

R9 290 are very hot but luckily I choose the Vapor-X cooler which is like $100 more than other non-reference coolers, never goes beyond 75 degrees Celsius but it is still quite hot for a premium cooler.

They do have their heat issues, but if you treat their cpus and graphics cards right everything will be manageable ($50 can get you a liquid cooler that is more than adequate for keeping an FX 8350 OCd at below 80oC, can't remember the specific temps but they were between 70-80 degrees). And to anyone talking about the heat of the FX 9xxx series, think of an FX8xxx cpu running at near max OC.

PMSL

They do have their heat issues, but if you treat their cpus and graphics cards right everything will be manageable ($50 can get you a liquid cooler that is more than adequate for keeping an FX 8350 OCd at below 80oC, can't remember the specific temps but they were between 70-80 degrees). And to anyone talking about the heat of the FX 9xxx series, think of an FX8xxx cpu running at near max OC.

But at that point, you are spending as much as an unlocked i5 which doesn't suffer from temperature problems, and is vastly superior.

Remember, a locked i5, which still beats an FX8 at gaming is the same price, often lower in many places.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

But at that point, you are spending as much as an unlocked i5 which doesn't suffer from temperature problems, and is vastly superior.

Remember, a locked i5, which still beats an FX8 at gaming is the same price, often lower in many places.

Here in Australia a Locked i5 4440 cost me $262. An FX 8350 would cost me $229, with the said liquid cooler added on (though the corsair h212 does cost about $30-$40 which costs less than the Seidon 120V and cools pretty much the same) and all for better performance in games that have kept with the times and aren't optimized for single or dual core cpus.

PMSL

Here in Australia a Locked i5 4440 cost me $262. An FX 8350 would cost me $229, with the said liquid cooler added on (though the corsair h212 does cost about $30-$40 which less than the Seidon 120V and cools pretty much the same) and all for better performance in games that have kept with the times and aren't optimized for single or dual core cpus.

You can't just compare the price of the processor.

Australia:

Very limited selection on PcP

PCPartPicker part list: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/WYvZcf

Price breakdown by merchant: http://au.pcpartpick...cf/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($228.00 @ CPL Online)

Motherboard: ASRock H81 Pro BTC ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($39.00 @ PLE Computers)

Total: $267.00

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-12 22:47 EST+1100

Vs.

PCPartPicker part list: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/MDtBGX

Price breakdown by merchant: http://au.pcpartpick...GX/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($182.00 @ CPL Online)

Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($129.00 @ CPL Online) <-- Any less expensive motherboards only have 4+1 VRM phase design, which is not adequate.

Total: $311.00

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-27 11:52 EST+1100

EDIT*  Hmm.. It appears that the i5-4570 is no longer being offered at all in Australia according to PcP.  It was just a week or two ago when I did the work to compare a locked i5 vs. FX8 build in all regions supported by PcP.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Here in Australia a Locked i5 4440 cost me $262. An FX 8350 would cost me $229, with the said liquid cooler added on (though the corsair h212 does cost about $30-$40 which costs less than the Seidon 120V and cools pretty much the same) and all for better performance in games that have kept with the times and aren't optimized for single or dual core cpus.

But remember what are you going to upgrade from the FX-8350?

I don't mind to pay extra for an i5 in the first place since you can upgrade to a i7 4790K or the new Broadwell CPU.

But now not only I have to buy a CPU but also a new motherboard.

At the time I didn't knew FX-8350 was the absolute top line AMD CPU (FX-9xxx doesn't count) so I was dumb >.<

EDIT: Spellingz

You can't just compare the price of the processor.

Australia:

Very limited selection on PcP

PCPartPicker part list: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/WYvZcf

Price breakdown by merchant: http://au.pcpartpick...cf/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($228.00 @ CPL Online)

Motherboard: ASRock H81 Pro BTC ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($39.00 @ PLE Computers)

Total: $267.00

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-12 22:47 EST+1100

Vs.

PCPartPicker part list: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/MDtBGX

Price breakdown by merchant: http://au.pcpartpick...GX/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($182.00 @ CPL Online)

Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($129.00 @ CPL Online) <-- Any less expensive motherboards only have 4+1 VRM phase design, which is not adequate.

Total: $311.00

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-27 11:52 EST+1100

I can run and OC a 125W TDP Xeon X5450 on my 3+1 phase motherboard (I actually did the phase count manually). With adequate case fans moving air over the VRM running an FX 8350 is no trouble on a mobo with fewer phases. (Note that the P5K VM has no heatsinks on the VRM at all)

PMSL

But remember what are you going to upgrade from the FX-8350?

I don't mind to pay extra for an i5 in the first place since you can upgrade to a i7 4790K or the new Broadwell CPU.

But now not only I have to buy a CPU but also a new motherboard.

At the time I didn't knew FX-8350 was the absolute top line AMD CPU (FX-9xxx doesn't count) so I was dumb >.<

EDIT: Spellingz

The FX8 is very capable within games, this has been proven many a time. Yes there are instances where it will not perform as it should, but those a few and far between. The CPU itself should easily last till AMD release there new socket and CPU, which will be either the end of this year, or into 2016 (hopefully). Any later than that, and I will also be going to intel on my next build. With your current system though, you have either made a mistake while building the system that impacted the performance it should be capable off, the motherboard you purchased isn't fit to run your chip. Or your PSU isn't powerful. In fact, why the hell are you running an FX8350 and a Sapphire AMD R9 290 Vapor-x from a 600watt PSU? That card has a minimum power requirement of 750watt alone. Those numbers I are often inflated, but still, an FX8350 and a 290 vapor-x on a 600watt is a very thin line.

I can run and OC a 125W TDP Xeon X5450 on my 3+1 phase motherboard (I actually did the phase count manually). With adequate case fans moving air over the VRM running an FX 8350 is no trouble on a mobo with fewer phases. (Note that the P5K VM has no heatsinks on the VRM at all)

You can't compare across platforms.  I don't doubt that you were able to make it work with your Xeon, but there are tons of people out there with FX processors and even after adding fans to cool down the VRMs on lesser phase motherboards getting unsatisfactory results. 

The FX8 is very capable within games, this has been proven many a time. Yes there are instances where it will not perform as it should, but those a few and far between. The CPU itself should easily last till AMD release there new socket and CPU, which will be either the end of this year, or into 2016 (hopefully). Any later than that, and I will also be going to intel on my next build. With your current system though, you have either made a mistake while building the system that impacted the performance it should be capable off, the motherboard you purchased isn't fit to run your chip. Or your PSU isn't powerful. In fact, why the hell are you running an FX8350 and a Sapphire AMD R9 290 Vapor-x from a 600watt PSU? That card has a minimum power requirement of 750watt alone. Those numbers I are often inflated, but still, an FX8350 and a 290 vapor-x on a 600watt is a very thin line.

FX8 and R9 290X from 600W is perfectly fine, he is probably using around 450W max without an OC on a game that stresses both the CPU and GPU well.  Those numbers the manufacturers recommend are grossly inflated.

He was lied to by others on forums such as these saying that FX processors are good, and don't bottleneck high end GPUs.  Is it capable, yes... but why settle for capable when you can get excellent performance for the same price.  He didn't know that he needed a higher end motherboard, because people forget to account for that when talking about processors, they only consider the cost of the chip which is flawed because the motherboard has such an impact on AMD's side.  So many FX users end up buying an FX8 processor, paired with a weak 970 AM3+ motherboard, have throttling issues, have to switch it out, etc.. all while spending so much more than a locked i5.  Lets put an end to this.  My goal isn't to bash anyone(except those who blatantly lie), its to help those in this community that come looking for help.  Telling them to get a processor that is only capable in 4 out of 5 games instead of 5 out of 5, while bottlenecking high end GPUs, consuming more energy and leaving the consumer with no upgrade path is not helping.

But the fact that AMD requires a good or specific motherboard is not a good thing.

When playing games the total power draw is only like 430W using Kill-a-watt instrument so it is fine (for now lol)

And since Intel have better power efficiency I don't think I will reaching the 500W barrier. I am deciding to upgrade my PSU on April (my birthday) since I want to get rid of my FX-8350 first because of its annoying stock cooler and throttling even at idle or simply browsing the web. And I don't want to waste money just to buy a cooler for this thing. I will also get an AIO watercooler on April too with a new PSU so I can overclock my R9 290 and i7 4790K with a new PSU.

I will be giving my AMD CPU and board to my dad, now lets just hope it doesn't throttle running YouTube videos with the R9 270X I gave him earlier.

That's really dumb that even a $110 motherboard couldn't run a FX-8350 properly.

EDIT: yes the reason why I got this 600W PSU because I was running on R9 270X at the time and I thought the 'less than average' FPS was because of the GPU so I bought R9 290 9-10 months later and my performance in games only improved like 10-15%. I looked up more benchmarks and I find that the FX-8350 is holding it back (and bad motherboard too). So instead of just getting a new motherboard I will just get both new motherboard and CPU too.

I will be giving my AMD CPU and board to my dad, now lets just hope it doesn't throttle running YouTube videos with the R9 270X I gave him earlier.

That's really dumb that even a $110 motherboard couldn't run a FX-8350 properly..

Lol, maybe if it was a cpu from the 90s

PMSL

Lol, maybe if it was a cpu from the 90s

The FX-8350?

The FX-8350?

As in cpus from back then. I was only able to do very basic web browsing when I rebuilt my k6-2 rig.

PMSL

Telling them to get a processor that is only capable in 4 out of 5 games instead of 5 out of 5, while bottlenecking high end GPUs, consuming more energy and leaving the consumer with no upgrade path is not helping.

This. If I can get a CPU that is compatible with 99% of games then I will be more happy to pay $50 more than a CPU with compatibility of only 80% of games.

But the fact that AMD requires a good or specific motherboard is not a good thing.

When playing games the total power draw is only like 430W using Kill-a-watt instrument so it is fine (for now lol)

And since Intel have better power efficiency I don't think I will reaching the 500W barrier. I am deciding to upgrade my PSU on April (my birthday) since I want to get rid of my FX-8350 first because of its annoying stock cooler and throttling even at idle or simply browsing the web. And I don't want to waste money just to buy a cooler for this thing. I will also get an AIO watercooler on April too with a new PSU so I can overclock my R9 290 and i7 4790K with a new PSU.

That's really dumb that even a $110 motherboard couldn't run a FX-8350 properly.

There is no way an 8350 will throttle at idle, underload if something isnt right it will, but not at idle. I am sure you mean that AMD cool'n'quiet is just slowing down your CPU while it isnt doing much work, or at least I hope that is what you mean. If your CPU is really throttling at idle due to high temps, then you couldn't have seated the cooler correctly when you put the system together. Either that, or you added additional thermal compound to what was already on the CPU cooler new out the box; which would really mess up your system temps. What are your temps in °C at idle and under load?

@Faceman: between myself and my boyfriend, we have 300+ games just for pc alone; including MMO's. There is only one game we have between us that is below 60fps, and that is Watchdogs; which I didn't pay money for anyway. It was free with my GTX780. Even MMO's run perfectly well, as well as Minecraft with the Feed the Beast mod pack in a very populated and built on world. Doesnt even struggle with it. I know you wont believe that without me posting pics, but other AMD users who are not having issues, will know that what I have just put up isn't just rubbish. But like I keep saying, anyone who has an AMD system should stay put till at least October. AMD should have hopefully at least announced something by then. If not, then as I keep saying; even I will be jumping ship back to intel. Anyone building a new system right now, Intel is the only way to go. But that only counts for gaming alone.

As in cpus from back then. I was only able to do very basic web browsing when I rebuilt my k6-2 rig.

I was just a child back then, playing with MS Paint and Super Mario emulator lol.

Was never a PC person until just 13 months ago (Christmas 2013) when I built my first PC. So I never knew things like FX-8350 needed more VRM or more Phase thingy.

Now I know....

Let me just post this here

There isn't a single game where the FX-8350 excelled the i5.

And to be honest the gap is a bit worrying. Apart from average FPS the stuttering and fluctuation is bad. I would rather of gotten an i5 which was only $30 more at the time.

It was on sale or something.

@Ialyrn

No, I don't believe you because there is a throng of people on this very forum who have problems running games in a wide variety of genres.  You don't provide any evidence, its all hearsay with you.  You are absolutely bottlenecking your GTX780 with an FX4, and the one time you tried to show it wasn't bottlenecking was in Skyrim, running around in Whiterun with absolutely nothing going on.  No GPU-Z showing your GPU loads, no fps counter(that I remember) and no graphics mods which most everyone uses on their Skyrim.  Not all mods impact CPU performance, but enough do that it makes the FX processors struggle.

Saying that you have no problems is not getting you anywhere.  Provide evidence to back up your statements because I have a lot to back up mine, including personal experience.  I've owned both AMD and Intel, I don't hate either company, but right now, it makes no sense at all to purchase an FX processor for a gaming rig when a 4th Gen i3 is beating FX processors in the majority of games.