Apple hit with class action lawsuit over the size of iOS on devices

Dietrichw

Source

Apple_iOS_8_The_biggest_iOS_release_ever

On Tuesday a new class action lawsuit was filed against Apple in a U.S federal court claiming Apple does not properly inform users how much space the operating system uses when they buy a product or install an update. The plantiffs' attorney seeks both damages and changes to Apple's policies

"Using these sharp business tactics, defendant gives less storage capacity than advertised, only to offer to sell that capacity in a desperate moment, e.g., when a consumer is trying to record or take photos at a child or grandchild’s recital, basketball game or wedding," alleges the plaintiffs in the case.

Photo-Sep-17-1-07-57-PM.png

2-Mobile-storage-space-01.jpg

4cXLlWc.png

It just seems that apple is going to win because even before you update i believe there are technical documents that show how big it is also doesnt show in the release notes by law

Go sue every other tech giant who has devices with non-upgradeable storage too, or else this lawsuit is meritless. I don't like Apple, but this is downright stupid. At the bottom of the purchase page, it is stated that the actual formatted capacity is less. If you don't want to read the fine print, deal with the lower capacity. As well, every update states the amount of space it consumes, and you have the option to do the update with a computer.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I hate how they always use radical cases like oh if your at a wedding and theres not enough room for the photo. maybe its the flappy bird or candy crush you installed.

what do they want? apple to list the capacity of the device after all the software needed? thats not how this works. thats like saying the capacity of a car minus the driver, because clearly you need them so its shouldnt be counted.

actually, thats a perfect analogy. and how stupid would that be.

In this suit i hope apple wins I don't like them that much and even since it is a class action I might be able to collect money but this is just stupid

does anyone know why (most) phone companies charge soo much for a larger emmc or what ever its called

arnt they actually cheap

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I don't even have to read the source to know they're from America.

So basically any other phone manufacturer with non-expandable storage can be sued too? Makes no sense to me... heck you can sue any storage maker as formatted space is always less!

So basically any other phone manufacturer with non-expandable storage can be sued too? Makes no sense to me... heck you can sue any storage maker as formatted space is always less!

My 1.5TB drive was actually 1.27TB after my NAS was done formatting it. 

#SpaceGate

#SpaceGate

You joke now; watch that become a thing.

#SpaceGate

You probably know, but it's mostly because HDD size is advertised as Terabytes but you OS shows its size in Tebibytes

#SpaceGate

Holy shit my 12tb of hard drives formatted to 8.7tb!

#SpaceGate #ItsReal #SeeingIsBelieveing

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

'Murica at it again.

AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5ghz (1.332v) | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Asus M5A97 R2.0 | Kingston HyperX 16GB @ 1600mhz | MSI Radeon R9 290 Twin Frozr

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w PSU | 256GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 | Zalman Z11 Plus

I wish phone manufactures made 64 GB the bare minimum standard already. I'm pretty sure it's actually more expensive to make 16 GB modules now. You have to try to produce that low capacity.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

this is just flat out stupid. granted if this had the space delta of say the surface where a 64GB surface only had like 20GB useable to the user, then ya i could see suing over it. but being able to use 12-13GB out of the 16GB advertised, thats about normal. not to mention, that some of these devices probably got OS updates which take up a bit extra space. like going from ios7 to ios8 will remove some storage from your device that you can use because the os actually got bigger...this just is stupid

It would be so much better if manufacturers actually had storage set aside specifically for the OS on their devices, therefore giving users the storage space stated.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Add microsd slot, problem solved. All these pointless lawsuits and anti consumerism, damn.

It would be so much better if manufacturers actually had storage set aside specifically for the OS on their devices, therefore giving users the storage space stated.

But that would make sense and be good customer service, and that's apparently not how you do business, instead you're supposed to lie, pay marketing people, patent troll, and see just how much you can bilk the customer for.

Add microsd slot, problem solved. All these pointless lawsuits and anti consumerism, damn.

"but that would require a removable battery or a little flappy thing stuff could get into!". At least that's how I've had apple fans respond to me when I suggested they include expandable storage.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

But then how much space should be set aside? OSes are not a fixed size, they can increase or decrease exponentially at the will of the manufacturer/devloper.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

But that would make sense and be good customer service, and that's apparently not how you do business, instead you're supposed to lie, pay marketing people, patent troll, and see just how much you can bilk the customer for.

"but that would require a removable battery or a little flappy thing stuff could get into!". At least that's how I've had apple fans respond to me when I suggested they include expandable storage.

They're fucking stupid then, because the HTC One M8 does this with a non-removable battery and a SIM-slot-like tray.