1080P gaming with slow internet connection?

Nikeshp79
Go to solution Solved by Guest andyysplash,

You're worrying about the wrong thing, but you're asking the right person. Connection speed generally =/= difference in framerate. Your 'speed' (bandwidth really) isn't really an issue in the actual game as the amount of data being sent isn't huge. It's the ping that's important, and higher ping results in things looking like they teleport and people killing you even though they were at the other side of the map.

I've found that it's not too bad as long as no-one else is using your connection at the same time. Here's a nice little speedtest of my connection. Maybe this'll put your mind at rest. 4023962502.png

Wow, it's a good day for my internet connection - fastest download speed and potentially fastest upload speed I've seen so far! Usually around 0.8-1meg down and 0.2-0.3meg up.

Edit: I'm not in London, but it's the closest server to me, more or less

Hi there,

Was wondering whether playing 1080p online multiplayer games will be difficult with my really bad internet connection. I play BF3 on intel HD4600 for the time being until I buy a GPU and found that I can play much more effectively in 480P (55-65fps) than 720P (30-40fps). Everything seems less fast-faced with 480P, and it seems there is less input lag. Is this to do with low fps at 720p or my slow internet connection?

I have a PS3 and playing bf3 multiplayer in 704p is fine on there.

119b9543ca.jpg

I'll be getting a 970 soon, and wired/ wireless connection gives me the same speeds as shown above.

you might notice high ping with bad internet, but your resolution has nothing to do with latency 90% of the time

you might notice high ping with bad internet, but your resolution has nothing to do with latency 90% of the time

So I should be fine at 1080P and shouldn't expect to notice input lag?

Maybe because 720P doesn't scale well on a 1080P screen I can't play that well at that res.

A higher frame rate is more ideal in an FPS.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

A higher frame rate is more ideal in an FPS.

The fps transition from 35-40 to average 60 is great on battlefield haha I don't get frustrated playing at 480P even thoguh it looks horrible haha.

You're worrying about the wrong thing, but you're asking the right person. Connection speed generally =/= difference in framerate. Your 'speed' (bandwidth really) isn't really an issue in the actual game as the amount of data being sent isn't huge. It's the ping that's important, and higher ping results in things looking like they teleport and people killing you even though they were at the other side of the map.

I've found that it's not too bad as long as no-one else is using your connection at the same time. Here's a nice little speedtest of my connection. Maybe this'll put your mind at rest. 4023962502.png

Wow, it's a good day for my internet connection - fastest download speed and potentially fastest upload speed I've seen so far! Usually around 0.8-1meg down and 0.2-0.3meg up.

WHERE THE HELL DO YOU LIVE?? I feel bad for you my dude. Want to live with me you'll get 65 down and 6 up internet, a dog to cuddle with, and sometimes food.

Maybe because 720P doesn't scale well on a 1080P screen I can't play that well at that res.

Your framerate is determined by how fast your computer's hardware is able to render the game. That means it scales with video settings, including your resolution. Your framerate at 480p is better because your computer has fewer pixels to render.

Latency/"lag" from a poor internet connection looks like things on screen unable to update consistently, such as characters warping around and is unrelated to your framerate. If there's a problem with the connection, even having a brand new ultra-fast gaming PC won't help that.

What you've shown us are your connection's upload and download bandwidth. Those aren't unrelated, but what really matters for gaming is the stability of your connection to the server you're actually playing on. Check your ping in game, if it's under 100 ms or so on a server that is relatively nearby, and you don't notice any weird desyncing/warping around, your connection is fine. Though it must take forever to download/install 30–50 GB Steam or Origin games over it.

WHERE THE HELL DO YOU LIVE?? I feel bad for you my dude. Want to live with me you'll get 65 down and 6 up internet, a dog to cuddle with, and sometimes food.

Small(ish) village at the very edge of a rather large town. Literally, you come out of the village and onto the main road and the border sign is about 2 minutes' drive. BT are halfway through installing fibre in our area but upped tools 6 months ago. Your dog sounds nice though  :P