Heartbroken Xbox One employee lets rip (Re: the DRM 180)

Ethnod

Family Sharing can't be implemented without the DRM, because without the DRM there is no way to police it and make sure you aren't giving the game to more then the 9 people or whatever was going to be allowed.

They only real problem with the XB One's DRM was the small check in window. Other than that, it was steam for consoles. And you're idea of gamers selling to gamers sounds nice but do you have any idea how big of a market used games is? There is massive pressure from gamestop, as well as all of the independent stores, to not kill that because you are going to kill peoples businesses and put thousands out of work. 

Family Sharing can't be implemented without the DRM, because without the DRM there is no way to police it and make sure you aren't giving the game to more then the 9 people or whatever was going to be allowed.

Why not? I am sure there is at least 1 way they could have implemented it without the horrible way the DRM worked. Also, it seems like the family share thing was just a 15-45 minute demo of the game, not the whole game.

It could have been applied to digital downloads only.

Just so that it is known, the Family Share feature was not going to be just a demo. Read the update portion of this Kotaku article.

What really gets me is that this guy goes on about how it's their fault for not educating the customers well enough on their new product.

Just no.

It's their fault for not doing good enought market analysis to see what the customers want of their new console.

I get that he's upset about this. I know how it feels, I've been at the point where I've used a lot of time developing stuff that to my mind was awesome, and at the end didn't have its place in a final product. It doesn't feel good. He takes a typical engineers view of things, he sees the awesome benefits from a technical standpoint and from the viewpoint of the stakeholders of the project (MS, the guys who pay his wages). To his mind he has helped develop a product that's technically very good and that works just the way his employer wants, he has done everything right in his own mind. One of the hardest lessons to learn as an engineer is to really figure out what the customers want.

The Microsoft employees who wanted a required internet connection with Xbox One should be hung upside down naked in front of Microsoft headquarters as a warning to other Microsoft employees.  That way, Microsoft employees will think twice before trying to violate customer privacy in the future.  I am grateful that Microsoft removed this requirement but my blood is still boiling.  I don't know what kind of crap Microsoft will try to do next.  I have absolutely no interest in their vision of a connected digital nightmare with buggy software updates, server crashes, internet delays, malware and games uploading God-only-knows-what so they can sell the data to Facebook, Google and anyone else who wants it.  I'm still an Xbox fan but I don't trust Microsoft anymore.  If Xbox One constantly displays popups asking me if I want to connect to the internet, I will dump it and buy a PS4.

While the guys at Xbox might feel that way they are not the ones who are guiding the DRM and DRM is not the solution to the current problem. Plus there is no need for any of the features to be disabled just because 24 hour check ins are gone.

There really isn't. If you can give me a system where you can put a disc into a console once and never need it again, without someone losing money, or restricting used games, I'll be glad to hear it. If you give me a system where someone on the other side of the world can play a game from my library with the same requirements as with disc thing without checking in, let er rip.