AMD working on a new SoC for a gaming console, coming in 2016

Bloodyvalley

We like to keep abreast of whispers and rumors concerning what could be happening next in the realm of gaming here at Wii U Daily, so Devinder Kumar, the CFO of AMD has made some interesting statements in regards to the direction his company will be taking over the next few years. Currently, all three current-gen consoles use AMD graphics chips, so when the company lauds several new products that are up and coming, we stand up and take notice.

According to Kumar, the team is currently working on an x86 and an ARM chip. If you’re unfamiliar with those terms, x86 is the standard for home computers and more recently, home consoles since the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4 adopted the architecture. ARM is used more in the mobile space, but the Wii U does feature an ARM processor. Either way, the hints that Kumar drops seems to relate these new products from AMD to a gaming console company.

We know Nintendo is hard at work on their Quality of Life platform, but it’s possible this information could be the first hints of its new gaming console, as well. What do you think?

The other thing I’ll mention in the semi-custom business which you probably picked up in the announcement that we had in October earnings call is we’ve been having a lot of interest in the semi-custom business, the semi-custom business is very unique, whereby it takes AMD’s core IP, we use it across market segments, across customers, across products, customer interest has been high and we projected earlier this year that we would have at least one to two semi-custom design wins and I’m pleased to report that we have those design wins, the work to design the products that has already started, the contract assigned and those parts get introduced in 2016.

We didn’t say at which space it is in. I’m not going to give too much detail. I’ll say that one is x86 and one is ARM, and atleast one will be on gaming, right. But that’s about as much as you going to get out me today, because the customers from the standpoint to be fair to them. It is their product. They launch it. They announce it and then just like the game console or the parts you find out that its AMD’s APU that’s been used in those products.

We know Nintendo is hard at work on their Quality of Life platform, but it’s possible this information could be the first hints of its new gaming console, as well. What do you think?

Devinder Kumar, who works at AMD as the CFO of the company, made a couple of compelling statements regarding a new "game console." It looks like AMD is working on two new SoCs, one of which is based on x86 architecture, and the other is using ARM architecture. Kumar has literally teased us all by adding that one of those SoCs is going to end up inside a "game console," which will be introduced in 2016.

With recent rumors of Nintendo working on their next gaming console, one that utilizes an AMD chip once again, could Kumar have been referring to the Wii U successor? If the console is indeed going to be launched in 2016, don't expect any new details to surface until late 2015.

Source

AMD you dissapoint me, now I need to be a fanboy of something else.

MAKE THE DAMN CPU'S AND GPU'S NOT SOCS

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Posting a thread in the news section without any content just so you can get the first post shouldn't be allowed. For fucks sake, you don't didn't even have the source posted.

0624260e96.png

...And again...

5b6da57496.pngAND AGAIN

6a85d89157.pngAND AGAIN

0144f893bd.png

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

They need money to make good GPU's and CPU's

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

This has been posted before, Linus and Luke mentioned the console in the last WAN show

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Posting a thread in the news section without any content just so you can get the first post shouldn't be allowed. For fucks sake, you don't didn't even have the source posted.

0624260e96.png

...And again...

5b6da57496.pngAND AGAIN

6a85d89157.pngAND AGAIN

0144f893bd.png

does it bother you that much? Wow. Chill man.

does it bother you that much? Wow. Chill man.

It's mainly that he spammed 4 threads in a row, if it was just one I wouldn't have even said that much. Also many people have been doing this lately, and all the shitposting just gets old after a while.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

"editing"

-.-

OP will deliver eventually. One he finishes editing the post he should've posted in the first place, that is. 

Of course AMD would want all 3 companies to get their chips from them. They own the console market and can rely on those millions of units to fund their other RD. Pretty smart play. 

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

This has been posted before, Linus and Luke mentioned the console in the last WAN show

which one?

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

AMD has games from 3 consoles being developed for their architecture, they released cards that are on par with the newest NVIDIA cards in high resolution, has the two main panel manufacturers (LG & Samsung) supporting Freesync, and brought a low level API that is the foundation of DX12 and OpenGL (the new one wich I don't recall the name)... and they are dissapointing you?

Unlikely to be a new XBox or PlayStation within 2 years of the latest release so it can only really be a Nintendo.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

And no one is posting possible competitor to Shield...

There's no penetration in the market of such devices - it's pointless when all the major and high profitable games are on dedicated platforms, not android. There were rumours about the AMD SoC be powering the next nintendo handheld.

AMD has games from 3 consoles being developed for their architecture, they released cards that are on par with the newest NVIDIA cards in high resolution, has the two main panel manufacturers (LG & Samsung) supporting Freesync, and brought a low level API that is the foundation of DX12 and OpenGL (the new one wich I don't recall the name)... and they are dissapointing you?

He doesnt even know what the threads about or even what hes on about lol.

Slick:

And no one is posting possible competitor to Shield...

I thought there was something about a steamboy a while back? More interesting to me than a Shield due to video card vendor limitations.

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

There's no penetration in the market of such devices - it's pointless when all the major and high profitable games are on dedicated platforms, not android. There were rumours about the AMD SoC be powering the next nintendo handheld.

o rly?

It looks like AMD is working on two new SoCs, one of which is based on x86 architecture, and the other is using ARM architecture.

What do you propose the ARM one is then, I wonder?

Yes... Yes they are. /s

I'm still waiting on them desktop APUs for SFF/Cheapo builds... Also, you're referring to their Mantle API... What I'm more disappointed about is that the game devs keep failing on optimizing for them even on console... They know that the consoles run AMD hardware so why the flying f*ck do they not optimize for AMD on at least PC-port multiplats!?

o rly?

What do you propose the ARM one is then, I wonder?

rly

No idea about the ARM being the next nintendo handheld... who knows if Sony doesn't have anything up their sleeve. Time will tell.

Yes... Yes they are. /s

I'm still waiting on them desktop APUs for SFF/Cheapo builds... Also, you're referring to their Mantle API... What I'm more disappointed about is that the game devs keep failing on optimizing for them even on console... They know that the consoles run AMD hardware so why the flying f*ck do they not optimize for AMD on at least PC-port multiplats!?

I'm also waiting for alot of stuff, some are closer to happen others are just hopes - not only from AMD, but from every tech company. In fact AMD GPUs keep surprising us that they are shipped with tech for wich AMD hasn't even developed uses for... like VSR for example. So they are slow paced atm and are focusing on matters that will give them profitability and sustainability.

You have examples of such games that run poorly and run great : the R9 290/290X beated the 970 and 980 in Shadows of Mordor. Ryse was also a good example if I recall correctly. The most disappointing games were actually from Ubisoft. 

I'm also waiting for alot of stuff, some are closer to happen others are just hopes - not only from AMD, but from every tech company. In fact AMD GPUs keep surprising us that they are shipped with tech for wich AMD hasn't even developed uses for... like VSR for example. So they are slow paced atm and are focusing on matters that will give them profitability and sustainability.

You have examples of such games that run poorly and run great : the R9 290/290X beated the 970 and 980 in Shadows of Mordor. Ryse was also a good example if I recall correctly. The most disappointing games were actually from Ubisoft. 

I bought in to Mantle, HSA and the powerful (compared to Intel HD 3000 and 4000 series) integrated graphics and I'm plenty satisfied with my system...

I've played Watch_Dogs and noticed the poor optimization... even after installing The Worse mods (still sub-60 fps with everything turned down, specs in sig)... Things got slightly better after I installed the Omega drivers...

But yeah... I bought in to those features... I could've gone with a 650Ti, but I remembered my experience using one... and their drivers... ugh...