Hollywood - " Google fibre Leads to more piracy"

ahhming

two movie studios believe that the faster speeds offered by Google Fiber will result in billions of additional lost dollars for the entertainment industry.

Earlier this week we received a leaked presentation covering the results of a Google Fiber survey conducted on behalf of Warner Bros and Sony Pictures Entertainment. The research was conducted in 2012 and aimed to get a baseline of the piracy levels, so changes can be measured after the rollout.

The survey respondents came from Kansas City, where Google Fiber first launched, with St. Louis residents as a control group. In total, more than 2,000 persons between 13 and 54 were asked about Google Fiber, their piracy habits and media consumption in general.

The results reveal that more than half of those surveyed were very interested in Google’s offer. This includes a large group of pirates, which make up 31% of the entire population.

About a third of these pirates said they would download or stream more with Google Fiber. Perhaps even more worrying for Hollywood, about a quarter of the non-pirates said they would start doing so if Google comes to town.

The most interesting part, however, is that the research tries to estimate the studio’s extra piracy losses that Google Fiber could create across the nation.

Drawing on an MPAA formula that counts all pirated views as losses the report notes that it may cost Hollywood over a billion dollars per year. That’s a rather impressive increase of 58% compared to current piracy levels.

fiber-pirates.png

fiberspeed1.jpg

Source:

http://consumerist.com/2014/12/29/movie-studios-claim-that-google-fiber-leads-to-more-piracy/

http://torrentfreak.com/movie-studios-fear-piracy-surge-due-google-fiber-141229/

I think you mean Piracy in the title. 

lol thanks .

They cant strictly blame Google Fiber though.

CPU i7-9700K @ 5 GHz Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F RAM Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (4x8) 3000 MHz GPU ASUS RTX 2080 ROG Strix OC x2 SLI Case Corsair Graphite 780T Storage 256 GB Samsung 860 EVO, 6 TB Seagate Barracuda PSU Corsair HX1200i, 1200W Display(s) ASUS PG279Q (1440p 165 Hz), ASUS VG248QE (1080p 144 Hz) Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin 360 radiator Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Logitech G502 Sound Logitech G35 Operating System Windows 10

This is some of the most stupid sh*t I've seen in a while. F u Hollywood

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

If that same survey was taken in another country, almost 100% of the answers would go to a question like "I pirate because of region locks."

Not me. I pirate movies because I just can't prioritize going to the cinema over basic needs - food, rent and transport. I live in Estonia and the salary is horrific when the prices are just as high as in the USA. Sucks to live here, besides the cheap and good internet. (300/300 for 31 euros).

Even when I wouldn't pirate, I'd still couldn't afford to go the cinema, so no harm done.

Welcome to americaland. 

Corporations, the real bad guys, point to the average citizen and call them the bad guy. 

Congratulations, hollywood. This is why I don't watch movies period.

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

I pirate because internet speeds are too slow to stream from netflix or hulu.

If I had some fiber, then you better believe that I'd be paying for several netflix accounts just to cover all of the devices in my home

317 is watching. 317 is everywhere. 317 is life.

Perhaps Google Fibre will lead to less pirating because people will be able to afford a package that provides them with enough bandwidth to stream more content from Netflix and similar services.

More people get good internet > more people subscribe to streaming services > ??? > profit.

I would certainly pay for a service like Netflix or Hulu if I wanted to watch films on a regular basis and I absolutely could because my internet package can support that. Of course there will still be pirates, but I feel their claims of "9% of total consumers" is an exaggeration.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

If they provided a decent service, people probably wouldn't pirate as much.

If I can't watch the latest walking dead through Netflix, where will I go?

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

this smell like shit, because they literally pulled those numbers out of their assess, i mean how the fuck they get people to answer this survey anyway, if i was in the states i wouldn't admit to that to begin with, is almost like asking people in public if they but illegal drugs

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

sounds like a distribution problem. I want to be able to buy movies in HIGH quality NON DRM digital downloads. If they did that and a plus would be UHD movies I would buy movies. the only time I pay for movies is when I see it in the theater, which I go to a lot. I pay more to anime then movies, but hey they give me more ways to watch it.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

If they provided a decent service, people probably wouldn't pirate as much.

If I can't watch the latest walking dead through Netflix, where will I go?

Exactly! I pay for Netflix, and I pay for hbo Nordic and I still have to download illegally the episodes of the walking dead, cause I don't wanna wait years to watch it. But they still get my money so I don't feel that bad for doing it.

MPAA to commit social suicide... 

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

"what you do in spite of internet speed is inspiring. :3" From Cae - 2015

No. Google fibre leads to more people wanting to use the internet for content consumption. Piracy just happens to occur because they don't understand how to distribute online.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Another reason I've seen people pirate because of: US based stores overcharge for everything over here, even if it is made in our own country (itunes charging more for Aussie music in australia than the US is a good example-I think they got forced to stop that BS though).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Whomever made those slides needs English lessons.  I don't want to even thing about whether or not they need some math tutoring as well.