Microsoft working on new browser ( not IE)

AlexGoesHigh

this is part of project spartan (at this point using halo references for code names should be a microsoft standard) aka internet explorer 12 or it could have a different name considering how much they are changing things, like overhauling the UI and adding support for extensions

now what they are doing with trident is not the usual update to optimize the code and bring new features they are splitting it into 2 engines, one for legacy pages and a new version of trident that suppose to be lightweight compared to the old engine, now here's the part where the press isn't deciding what ms is going to do with this, on one side we the verge quoting zdnet that the new engine will be for the new browser while the old will stuck to IE11 and both browsers to be bundled with windows 10, on the other (and frankly much more believable) is that neowin reports that the 2 engines will be on what suppose be the next browser, IE12, and that depending on the page the browser automatically chooses which is better to use for said page

this would allow a faster browsing experience with pages that uses more up-to-date technology

is better to wait for the january 21st even for windows 10 to know what MS is going to do about it 

sources: Neowin, The Verge

IMO, regardless of what the press is saying the next IE will be to radical of a change compared to what IE is now, so even if is going to have a different name, sounds like the browser microsoft needed to release when chrome got the big market share it has now

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Chromefox 12, all new original design by MS!

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

So it won't be Internet Exploder anymore?

that's what no one seems to agree with, one are saying these change are going to be on IE12 , others are saying that due to how diferent it is, microsoft is going to change the name, the only thing to do is wait for the event MS is hosting late january to know wth is this going to be

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Yay likely another mess from MS that's bound to have its own unique set of problems that I will no doubt waste hours resolving at work! As if IE7 - IE11 wasn't enough hassle already

TBH if its gonna be that different, they should change the name. But I don't think they're gonna get any market share back. Ant 90% of people that are using IE now won't update to a newer version.

Mostly because they cannot. Microsoft keeps making IE versions exclusive for their newest OSes.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I don't see the point

IE has a terrible reputation

Chrome and firefox are much more mature for plugins

Chrome will beat every speed test due to it oversampling (which makes it unusable for laptops and the surface pro 3 if you want your battery to last the day)

This new IE doesn't seem to be offering anything new

Why waste the cash on developing this?

Its too hate, i really cant be bothered to change browser now, it takes too much time to used used to a new browser, changing from firefox to chrome was hell.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

if this one doesn't work out Microsoft should probably give up on making a browser.

A tip earlier today suggested that Microsoft's new browser brand may be called Spartan - another Halo brand like Cortana for a full Halo family. Spartan will also be running on a new environment which will be light weight

fire-820x420.jpg

Spartan will be pre-loaded and  available in windows 10 (desktop /mobile/ tablet)

Source:

http://www.slashgear.com/internet-explorer-may-need-to-die-29361000/

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-is-building-a-new-browser-as-part-of-its-windows-10-push/

Isn't this just a case of the same thing, different hair cut (if you get the metaphor)?

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Lets only hope that it will be better than any other IE versions, as that is complete garbage.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.5Ghz | Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Quad Channel | GPU: GTX 970 @ 1579 Mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | OS: Windows 10

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | PSU: Corsair TX750 | Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2233 & SyncMaster SA350 | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa | Mouse: Steelseries Kana | Sound: Steelseries Siberia V2

Malware will be called the "Covenant"

Command prompt the "Forerunners" 

This is just Microsoft being bad at marketing, using a established game franchise with a serious hit in brand lately for naming because they can't come up with any original. 

Just sounds weird: "Ok sir, please open up Spartan, and we can blablabla"

Yo bro, got the latest 64bit spartan update. lol 

Gaming PC: CPU: 4770k @ 4.0Ghz GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 RAM: 16GB Corsair vengeance 1600Mhz Mobo: ASRock Extreme 9/AC PSU: Corsair AX760i Case: Corsair 750D CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i HDD: Samsung EVO 250GB, 1TB HDD, 4TB HDD 

This is just Microsoft being bad at marketing, using a established game franchise with a serious hit in brand lately for naming because they can't come up with any original. 

they are only using them as internal code names not product releases, cortana was the exception because a lot of people demanded the name to stay

OP: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/279881-microsoft-forks-the-trident-engine-for-the-modern-web-ie12-to-be-a-radical-difference-that-could-have-a-new-name-instead/

they should just drop it, and ship with chrome, 

Chrome FTW

im uninstalling spartan and ie11 first thing, already did it on windows 7 and 8.1

Imagine if it is slower and has a worse UI than IE

LTT CSGO SERVER! IP 8.12.22.45!~  Connect by connecting on csgo console

Use console command "connect"   --->  connect 8.12.22.45

In before it's just an updated version of Internet Explorer but a bunch of 12 year olds will praise it as the best thing ever because

1) It has a "cool" name

2) It's Halo related

3) It's the new kid on the block and being obscure is always super cool. Chrome and Firefox are too common these days. Better use something else.

IE has a lot of huge flaws and I doubt Microsoft will fix them with this new browser. I rarely see anyone bring them up though so my guess is that people just don't care.

You know, the flaws like terrible support for standards, awful UI, closed source, lack of extensions (even if they make the support for it better it will still be pretty bad until a lot of extensions are released) and so on.

They have had the chance to redeem themselves multiple times in the past and failed every single time. I don't think this time will be any different.

I don't understand the reasoning behind all this hate. Personally I love updates and innovation, anything new is always fun to explore. And all the enthusiast community has bashed on IE being slow and terrible, finally MS does something about it and what do we do - hate even more while not knowing anything besides the fact, that they might have a winning formula when copying the UI and functioning of the two best browsers on the market - Chrome and Firefox.

Just let them do their thing and wait until you judge it.

fire-820x420.jpg

Remember that missing plane from an Asian airline that was all over the news for a week earlier this year?

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

I don't understand the reasoning behind all this hate. Personally I love updates and innovation, anything new is always fun to explore. And all the enthusiast community has bashed on IE being slow and terrible, finally MS does something about it and what do we do - hate even more while not knowing anything besides the fact, that they might have a winning formula when copying the UI and functioning of the two best browsers on the market - Chrome and Firefox.

Just let them do their thing and wait until you judge it.

I believe it has a lot to do with Microsoft's past history with almost everything they've ever done. They promise/say "X", but then bring "Y".

Personally I'm saving my judgment until I see the actual product, but I have no faith in Microsoft whatsoever.

The only thing they need to do now is bring back the assistant as Guilty Spark. :P

Yes, this is old news. It was talked about a very long time ago, back when we are talking about Windows 9.

It will have 2x web browsers is one, based on rumors, where if the website request compatibility mode for IE, it will load IE DLL's files, and use that for the website, if not, it will use the new engine of the web browser.

Microsoft considered renaming IE, but I think we talked here about it (else I am confusing forums), on how it might not happen, as people are looking for the blue "e" icon, and/or knows that Internet Explorer is to go on the web.

So it might create confusion.

Rumors also suggest it will have add-ons like Firefox as well. This will make IE the ultimate web browser, as it already have:

-> Sync (already there with OneDrive integration in Windows 8)

-> Full and proper High DPI support

-> Full and proper touch support

-> Super fast and smooth scrolling and zooming. Even on a demanding web site, IE11 scrolls like butter, while Chrome and Firefox struggles

-> IE11 is the most power efficient with significant margins than Firefox and Chrome.

-> Light, responsive, low resource consumption, specially designed for slow systems

Assuming all true about the new web browser, it means in addition it will have add-ons as well, and the new engine will make it much faster. Even if it reaches Firefox speed or close to, It will worth the switch.

I believe it has a lot to do with Microsoft's past history with almost everything they've ever done. They promise/say "X", but then bring "Y".

Personally I'm saving my judgment until I see the actual product, but I have no faith in Microsoft whatsoever.

Yeah exactly, I am not expecting much either, but not going to hate on something I have no details nor experience on.