Tech Things You Dont Know But Are Too Afraid To Ask.

why do companies give out mail in rebates, why not just tell the distributors to take off the amount that they would rebate. From personal experience rebates take quite a bit of time and are more trouble than it is worth sometimes, say a $5 rebate.

if they force the vendor to lower their prices, the vendor makes less money off of it, and the salemen make less commision.   rebates are better for all parties involved that arent the customer.  and with the known 6-12 months it takes to recieve it, most people arent going to do it, which means the company hands back drastically less money

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

How do I root my phone?

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

Is the Haswell refresh and Haswell-E the same thing?

I ask because I'm seeing new CPUs like the 5960X being leaked/announced being labeled as Haswell-E, even though the 5 initial suggests to me that it's a Broadwell CPU.

"M. Aronnax." replied the Canadian, "your arguments are rotten at the foundation. You speak in the future, 'We shall be there! we shall be here!' I speak in the present, 'We are here, and we must profit by it.'"

Is there a difference between SATA cables (ie between II and III) and the same question for network cables (CAT5 / CAT6 etc...)

Is the Haswell refresh and Haswell-E the same thing?

I ask because I'm seeing new CPUs like the 5960X being leaked/announced being labeled as Haswell-E, even though the 5 initial suggests to me that it's a Broadwell CPU.

No. Haswell refresh is lga 1150 and Haswell-E will be lga 2011-3. 

The (x)960X indicates an extreme series i7. Previous generations have done the same thing where the 4960x is IvyB-E and 3960x is SandyB-E.

Is there a difference between SATA cables (ie between II and III) and the same question for network cables (CAT5 / CAT6 etc...)

Sata cables are generally just sata 6gb/s cables relabeled for marketing purposes. Differences may be in the physical details like the clip that keeps the cable attached. CAT6  on the other hand is actually physically improved over the CAT5. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

All SATA cables are identical. The only real difference to be found is the type of connectors (right angle/straight, lockable/non-lockable)

There is a distinct difference between ethernet cables. The differences make for a different rated speed at different cable lengths. Reason is the different bandwidth of the cable types: 100MHz for CAT5, 250 MHz for CAT6

Is the asus maximus iv hero z87 motherboard compatable to intels new broadwell series CPU's?

I don't know like anything about the voltage and numbers of rails in a psu

I run my own indie game company called Color Dragon Studios where we are currently making a 2d platformer game called Small Earth.

• 3 weeks later...

What's a partition? Is it really bad to use an AF fan against a rad instead of a SP one?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Hyper Threading allows for a single processor core to "virtually" become two cores. Watch this:

WHAT?! Linus said in the video specifically that hyper threading DOES NOT change the amount of cores in your system!

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

WHAT?! Linus said in the video specifically that hyper threading DOES NOT change the amount of cores in your system!

it doesn't change the number of physical cores. 

What's a partition?

Is it really bad to use an AF fan against a rad instead of a SP one?

partition: piece of something (in most cases, a piece of a hard drive). 

AF fans are less efficient in tight situations when compared with SP fans. So, SP would be better, but as long as your temps aren't bad then AF is just fine. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

HT basically just allows a core to multi-task.

Should I remove the thermal compound that came on my corsair h100i block and use a high quality one or is the compound on it good quality?

Should I remove the thermal compound that came on my corsair h100i block and use a high quality one or is the compound on it good quality?

The compound is fine but there isn't much of a difference between average and the best thermal paste. How much paste and how it spreads probably makes a bigger difference and how it's pre-applied to the h100i is probably better than you can do yourself. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Intended purpose of M.2...cache, boot, or either?

i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3 1866 @ CL9, ASUS GTX 780, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, WD Black 1TB x 2, EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W, BenQ XL2420TE 24" 144Hz @ 1080p, CM Nepton 280L, Noctua Industrial IP67 2000RPM 140mm PWM Fan x 6

i wanna learn to hack but how do you do it where do i begin

"Hack" has a vague meaning. There are many definitions for it.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

• 1 month later...

What the heck is PLX bridge?

The PLX bridge is a chip to get more PCI express slots. Since you're not using all of them at the same time it switches lanes from slot to slot as it deems necessary.

How do you connect the GPU to the mobo?

Just put it in a pci express slot and connect the power supply cables if necessary.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Dear Corsair  Item #N82E16823816022  Corsair K70 Cherry MX RGB Red Switch Mechanical Keyboard.   RELEASE IT ALREADY! ><

Release date July 2014....  Are we waiting for August 2014, what is the holdup?

Why in the hell is there no company that installs a PLX chip on a dual SLI motherboard, allowing for x16x16?

Also, if the very best graphics card out there can't "saturate" a full 16x lanes of pcie3.0, why the hell do we have 16x of pcie3.0?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Why in the hell is there no company that installs a PLX chip on a dual SLI motherboard, allowing for x16x16?

Also, if the very best graphics card out there can't "saturate" a full 16x lanes of pcie3.0, why the hell do we have 16x of pcie3.0?

PCIe switches can't increase the total bandwidth available, so if you are saturating your PCIe bandwidth then it won't help.  You may have dual x16 slots wired to the PLX chip, but the PLX chip itself will still only have 16 lanes connecting it back to the CPU, so you're still limited to 16 lanes worth of bandwidth total.

The most powerful GPU does not even come close to saturating PCIe 3.0 x4.  But if one board has dual x16 people will buy it over a board with dual x8.  In the majority of cases, if a product is designed a certain way it's not necessarily because that's the way that makes the most sense, but because it will sell better.  Even if there is no real reason for it.

Look at that fancy title.

Edit:

Oh right a question. Why are 16x (or just any high speed lane) lanes generally the prefered top slot on motherboards?

I want to put a sound card in my system without restricting airflow to my video card, shouldnt it just be standard to have a 4x lane first, followed by a 16x??

It may have already been answered, but I'm guessing it is to avoid data loss with wide bandwidth and the physical layout of the motherboard.  I.E clocks operating in Ghz and 64bit bus lanes.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Wow this is an awesome thread - I don't even know how I got here, I was just scrolling down :mellow:

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

Minecraft and video editing are more CPU and RAM intensive and the GPU doesn't matter that much, right??

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite