Tech Things You Dont Know But Are Too Afraid To Ask.

MOAR MULTIPLIERS!!!!!!!!!

You slowly crank the multiplier up and if it becomes unstable give it moar volts (increase by .1 of a volt)

Is that it? I remember reading somewhere on this forum that you need to pay attention to other stuff too when overclocking a CPU.

Is that it? I remember reading somewhere on this forum that you need to pay attention to other stuff too when overclocking a CPU.

That's how I overclock. Pay attention to thermals too.

MOAR MULTIPLIERS!!!!!!!!!

You slowly crank the multiplier up and if it becomes unstable give it moar volts (increase by .1 of a volt)

Not true. Not every CPU has an unlocked multiplier. My i7 920 had to be overclocked by increasing the base clock, not the multiplier.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

That's how I overclock. Pay attention to thermals too.

So just go until it is using an ungodly amount of power, generating WAY too much heat and is constantly BSODing?

How do you overclock a CPU? I have heard it is vastly different than a GPU.

So just go until it is using an ungodly amount of power, generating WAY too much heat and is constantly BSODing?

Every platform has it's own peculiarities, but that's the basic idea nowadays.

Check out this guide for more details.

Not true. Not every CPU has an unlocked multiplier. My i7 920 had to be overclocked by increasing the base clock, not the multiplier.

True, the MMX 233 that I over locked had to be done via BCLK, the highest FSB I could do was 75 so that left me at 75x3.5 giving me 262MHz.

You do realize that you are replying a message that is almost a year old by now right?

YEP although I didn't know till after I posted it and it went to page 17. Then I looked. LOL

Do pc see a dual gpu card as 1 card or 2 in SLI/Crossfire? I ask this because some Mobos cant  support 2 card but can they support 1 card with 2 gpus?

how do mineral oil cooled PC's work and does it involve sinking components in a liquid.

i wanna learn to hack but how do you do it where do i begin

Play Watch_Dogs :3

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

how do mineral oil cooled PC's work and does it involve sinking components in a liquid.

put all components in fish tank, fill with mineral oil, run tubing, rad, and pump, going n bottom and out top

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

put all components in fish tank, fill with mineral oil, run tubing, rad, and pump, going n bottom and out top

Well you can't have moving components inside the oil.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Well you can't have moving components inside the oil.

Didnt you see slicks rig? It had moving cpu fan... thats fine, it will just go slower.

Ooh you mean liek the Hard drive. Yeah thats right.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Didnt you see slicks rig? It had moving cpu fan... thats fine, it will just go slower.

Ooh you mean liek the Hard drive. Yeah thats right.

And the optical drive. I forgot if the PSU can be submerged.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Do pc see a dual gpu card as 1 card or 2 in SLI/Crossfire? I ask this because some Mobos cant  support 2 card but can they support 1 card with 2 gpus?

A dual GPU card will be seen as a multiple GPU configuration ( Crossfire if AMD, SLI if Nvidia ).

What's a floating point? Actually I'm not embarrassed to ask this, I never understood math.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

And the optical drive. I forgot if the PSU can be submerged.

his was

what is this part of the wire for? dont know what its called so i can even google it.

post-18118-0-89783800-1401200770_thumb.j

post-18118-0-89783800-1401200770_thumb.j

what is this part of the wire for? dont know what its called so i can even google it.

IDK, but it's magnetic. That's all I know. :P

On 5/27/2014 at 0:24 PM, peters.11 said:

Oil cooled PC's are basically PC's completely submerged in an oil bath. Since mineral

oil is non-conducting, the thing doesn't short out. By putting your components inside

a giant volume of liquid, you can remove heat very efficient. That said, you'll still need

to actively cool the oil the same you would do with a water cooled PC if the components

are reasonably powerful.

The only things that can't be submerged are hard drives, floppy drives, and optical

drives.Other then that, pretty much anything can work in oil.

On 5/27/2014 at 4:11 PM, StingBull said:

What's a floating point? Actually I'm not embarrassed to ask this, I never understood math.

Floating point is a way to represent decimal numbers in a binary system. The name

comes from the fact that there is no fixed position of the decimal point in the binary

representation of the number. The opposite of that is fixed point.

There are both single-precision, and double-precision floating point numbers used

in computing. The former is a 32-bit word, the latter a 64-bit word. From here on,

I'll show decimal (base 10) numbers as (number)10 and binary (base 2) numbers

as (number)2 to clearly show which is what.

To explain how the system works, we'll try to convert (0.375)10 to a single-precision

floating point number (32 bit). In such a number, the mantissa is 23 bit, the exponent

8 bit, and the sign bit --of course-- is one bit. By convention, the first stored digit is

assumed to be one, unless the exponent is zero. So, to reconstruct the decimal

representation, we can use

(-1)^sign * 1.mantissa * 2^exponent

So, to represent (0.375)10, we first convert it to binary, which is (0.011)2 . Then,

we write in such a way that it starts with '1.', this gives us (1.1)2 * 2^(-2)10. Now,

we try to correlate that to the formula above:

(-1)^sign * 1.mantissa * 2^exponent
(-1)^ 0   * 1.   1     * 2^ (-2)

We can see that the sign bit is (0)2, the mantissa is (1)2 , and the exponent is

(-2)10 . Now, you must know how to use two's complement to represent negative

numbers in binary. As this isn't part of this explanation, just assume that

(-2)10 = (110)2 .

We can then easily combine sign bit, mantissa, and exponent to make the

floating point representation: 0000 0000 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1110

On 5/27/2014 at 4:26 PM, mad dudy said:

That's called a ferrite bead or choke. It's basically a low-pass filter that makes

sure only DC voltages get through. It makes sure that clean power is provided

to the device it's connected to.

What does it mean when someone says something is 'binned'. As in a CPU for example

What does it mean when someone says something is 'binned'. As in a CPU for example

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.