Tech Things You Dont Know But Are Too Afraid To Ask.

Well sometimes with strange things on google you dont get answers

Low is good it means less people had a broken part

or les people have bought the product :P 1 RMA since 2005! (only 1 product sold)

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Hyper Threading is a way to create virtual cores. It is a bit tricky to explain, but I'll try to put it as easy as possible. Take for example an i5 quadcore and an i7 quadcore processor. Both are quadcores, but the i7 has Hyper Threading (HTT) which means it has 4 extra virtual cores. Of course those virtual cores are not real cores, but it is a way to make 1 core process two different threads at the same time by sharing the CPU parts which are idle because they are not used by thread 1 but can be used by thread 2. So basically the i7 is faster (most of the time) when processing a lot of data.

Here is the trouble I am having with HTT. You said "it makes 1 core two different threads at the same time". A virtual core is not as powerful as a physical core. This I know. So do you end up with one physical core and one virtual core or do you end up with two virtual cores (from 1 physical core)? I take it, it is the former. So with that, is the physical core less powerful now that you have to take some processing power and dedicate it towards the virtual core? So, is a single i5 core more powerful than an i7 core (2500k vs 2600k)? If you are not doing a lot of multi-threaded applications, would it be more beneficial to disable HTT?

Sorry if this is taking the thread off topic by focusing too much on one topic. PM if you feel it is.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Here is the trouble I am having with HTT. You said "it makes 1 core two different threads at the same time". A virtual core is not as powerful as a physical core. This I know. So do you end up with one physical core and one virtual core or do you end up with two virtual cores (from 1 physical core)? I take it, it is the former. So with that, is the physical core less powerful now that you have to take some processing power and dedicate it towards the virtual core? So, is a single i5 core more powerful than an i7 core (2500k vs 2600k)? If you are not doing a lot of multi-threaded applications, would it be more beneficial to disable HTT?

Sorry if this is taking the thread off topic by focusing too much on one topic. PM if you feel it is.

Nah, its fine, i want people to get as much help as they need :D

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

No, a single i7 core will be just as powerfull as an i5 core (assumed they're the same cores on the same clock speeds). What you end up with is indeed one physical core and one virtual core /core. What HTT does is using the parts of the core that are not used by thread 1 for thread 2 which makes your core handle more threads/ certain amount of time compared to the i5 core. But in some cases HTT is the cause of reduced core performance compared to the performance of the i5 core for thread one. So you are right about disabling HTT when it isn't of much use to you. You'll end up with a modified i5 when you disable HTT because the i7 has more cache compared to the i5.

Wi RoZ

What does a Hyper Threading do?

Non HT CPU's have a single thread per core and HT CPU's have two threads per core, I think Intel demo'ed a chip with 4 threads per core a while ago

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Fair point :)

I use them aswell.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

Well, I seem to be outnumbered.

Yup. you are the weird one now.

personally I am a shy people, I afraid to ask, talk, and say. But, I find out typing on forum is quite fun. Mabye you can locate my location but you dunno where and who am I.

The Doctor was massively outnumbered, look where he ended up :)

Ya, with an annoying companion and poor story progression.

What's with all these Intel sockets!!!!????

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

Why are there feet on the bottom of keyboards? I never seem to use them, is it just an ergonomic thing?

Variable height/angle for people who prefer it. It really helps to be as comfortable as possible while typing for extended periods.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I don't think there is really a "best" way to do it. I think its kinda like installing the mobo, some install the processor when the mobo is in the case and some don't, its really just preference, at least I'm pretty sure.

Thermal paste is actually not a preference, people just assume it is

but go ahead and spread it yourself, test it yourself and see what is best? 

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

What's with all these Intel sockets!!!!????

What do you mean? theres only like 3 in use right now. 1155 (Ivy and sandy) 1150(Haswell) 2011(sandy-E)

What do you mean? theres only like 3 in use right now. 1155 (Ivy and sandy) 1150(Haswell) 2011(sandy-E)

They seem to go through more than AMD though, esp. the last four years.  That's what I meant.  1366, 1156, 1155, 1150, 2011.

It confuses me somtimes. :(

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

They seem to go through more than AMD though, esp. the last four years.  That's what I meant.  1366, 1156, 1155, 1150, 2011.

It confuses me somtimes. :(

Well only ones that are relevant are 1155, 1150, and 2011. the rest are old and arent used much anymore.

Well only ones that are relevant are 1155, 1150, and 2011. the rest are old and arent used much anymore.

The fact that's three different sockets RIGHT NOW is what made me confused updating my system this year :P

What does a Hyper Threading do?

it's just a virtual cpu core like this: your cpu has 4 cores but with hyper threading it still has 4 but acts like 8

i know it isn't precisly the same thing but it is in the same line

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

The fact that's three different sockets RIGHT NOW is what made me confused updating my system this year :P

Well, on the red side there is AM3, AM3+, FM1, and FM2 that are still being used.

Okay here is another. What mouse sensors are good and what ones are bad?

The different sockets aren't difficult to desypher, if there was more than 1,000 different sockets then fair enough lol

There are only three from Intel, 1150, 1155 and 2011 that are mainly used (disregarding older ones) and four from AMD, I don't see it as difficult or confusing :P

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate