Tech Things You Dont Know But Are Too Afraid To Ask.

Well why cant we have like a mix between the two? make the world prerendered?

That would make the game fill at least a couple of terabytes.

Stuff I have I like: Moto G - Superlux HD681 Evo - Monoprice 9927

90% of what I say is sarcasm.

What about picking a wattage?

Go to ark.intel.com or amd.com and look for the TDP (Thermal Design Power) of you CPU

Go to nvidia.com or amd.com and look at the TDP of your GPU

Add both these numbers. Multiply by two. Add the TDP of your GPU multiplied by the number of GPUs in your system minus one. That's the wattage of your PSU, roughly.

Works perfectly

Go to ark.intel.com or amd.com and look for the TDP (Thermal Design Power) of you CPU

Add both these numbers. Multiply by two. Add the TDP of your GPU multiplied by the number of GPUs in your system minus one. That's the wattage of your PSU, roughly.

Works perfectly

That's pretty cool, I couldn't remember how to work out the systems wattage.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

That's pretty cool, I couldn't remember how to work out the systems wattage.

Yeah although TDP is only an approximation of the power consumption (it's a measure of heat generation, which is related to power draw) it tends to be pretty closely related.  I just add up the TDPs of your processors (I round up the CPU to the nearest multiple of 50 to account for overclocking) and then add another 50W for the rest of the system, and then that result plus a couple hundred watts is what you need for your PSU.  1.5-2x more on your PSU than your system draw is idea.

Yeah although TDP is only an approximation of the power consumption (it's a measure of heat generation, which is related to power draw) it tends to be pretty closely related.  I just add up the TDPs of your processors (I round up the CPU to the nearest multiple of 50 to account for overclocking) and then add another 50W for the rest of the system, and then that result plus a couple hundred watts is what you need for your PSU.  1.5-2x more on your PSU than your system draw is idea.

I think I was being a moron, pretty simple when you think about it and for some stupid reason I didn't think to add up the TDP's lol

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

What is delidding a CPU? and How do you do it and should i do it? and how hard is it?

I did it with mine, made a video about it. Fucked it up slighlty. I recommend researching the vice grip method

So I was talking to my cousin and she asked me, "I can go on youtube and watch games to play so why cant i play them? It is showing the same picture i would see i just dont have control over what is happening." and i felt dumb because i couldnt answer. so in short, why can my computer play a video of a very graphically intensive game but i cant play it on my PC?

Well why cant we have like a mix between the two? make the world prerendered?

What we mean with pre-rendered is that a video is just a whole bunch of images stored sequantially and played sequentially. Your computer opens the file, grabs the first image and tells the GPU to display it. Some time later (depending on the framerate of the video), the system grabs the second image (or frame) and tells the GPU to display it. This is easy for a GPU, it's like you trying to calculate 3+5.

When you play a game, you can not pre-render the world, because you do not not know how the player is going to walk through it. You can not predict at which point which part of the world needs to be displayed. Therefor, every time you move, the GPU has to calculate a new image. It does this by looking at the 3D model of the world and calculating which parts of that 3D model are in the field of view of the player. Then, it flattens that field of viewing, meaning that it will only draw the parts that are closest to a player (e.g. a pole standing behind a house isn't drawn because it isn't visible). After that it draw textures on top of the flattened world. This is a lot of work. It's like solving a fifth order differential equation to x (e.g. (5(D^5)+3(D^2)-D)x=2y +10 , solve for x with a set of given starting parameters). This takes a lot of time and in order to do it quickly, it takes a lot of GPU muscle.

In short: it's simple to draw a series of still images, but it is hard to calculate a 2D image of a moving 3D world and then drawing that image.

It's not just "very close related", it is exactly the same. TDP = nominal heat output = nominal power draw.

I explained it once before here

"provide enough wattage."

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Works perfectly

That's actually really awesome!

Nope, wouldn't be fair to the console gamers as they have the inferior platform. They would lose every battle. I heard somewhere that this concept has been tryed out before and it ended badly. Off to Google.

Wont Tom Clancys The Division be cross platform online multiplayer? cuz i know on the E3 demo they had one guy playing his tablet while everyone else was on a console.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Could be...

Oh ok i wasn't too sure if they meant just console's and tablets or all platforms playing on the same servers. If it is true then i hope it works great :)

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Like I said, try using RadeonPro, and follow guides on youtube. It will make your game a lot smoother. It's not a gimmick either, tests have shown that the delays are smoothed out and decreased. As long as you have the right profile, you should be good to go.

thank you! will download this :)

how do you use linux?

You are now in the elitist among us in the windows camp!

Wont Tom Clancys The Division be cross platform online multiplayer? cuz i know on the E3 demo they had one guy playing his tablet while everyone else was on a console.

Wait some guy was playing it natively on his tablet?

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

Cloud computing?

Then why can't we get it on PC!

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

WHen people say you only really need an i7 over an i5 for video rendering & after affects... Is windows movie maker Video rendering??? Does the i7 also provide this worthy performance boost when changing the format on lots of audio files? or maybe compressing files?

Aussie FTW!
4770k, H60, GTX 780, G1 Sniper 5, Samsung EVO 250GB, Seagate 2TB, Vengance Pro RAM 2133mhz 8GB, Silverstone Strider 850w
The Monolith Desk - build log incomplete.

WHen people say you only really need an i7 over an i5 for video rendering & after affects... Is windows movie maker Video rendering??? Does the i7 also provide this worthy performance boost when changing the format on lots of audio files? or maybe compressing files?

Windows movie maker indeed renders the video when you finish your project

Changing the format of audio files could -theoretically- go faster with an i7, if the program you use supports multithreading. Same answer for compressing files: with 7zip, I can only use 2 threads, so it would not benefit from moving up to an i7

Am i wrong or winRar uses all cores/threads? Going from an i5 to an i7 makes a difference. I think.

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

Wait some guy was playing it natively on his tablet?

They didn't show the guy that was playing it on his tablet just the people playing it on their consoles. But in game there was a guy that came to help them during the mission and on top of his name is said "Tablet".

Spoiler

-

Like I said, try using RadeonPro, and follow guides on youtube. It will make your game a lot smoother. It's not a gimmick either, tests have shown that the delays are smoothed out and decreased. As long as you have the right profile, you should be good to go.

just got it set up for farcry 3 and wow what a difference! Thanks for mentioning that  :lol:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 4Ghz | Cooler: Corsair H80i | Case: Corsair 300R | Motherbord: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3| RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz White |

Graphics Card: MSI GTX 680 Twin Frozr OC | Power Supply: Corsair CX750 | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB

Is there a reason BIOS chips on motherboards are so archaic looking?

I mean, I know there's a very good possibility that you will have to replace it eventually, but still. They look like they are from the 80's (I know because I have a motherboard and RAM from the 80's).

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Is there a reason BIOS chips on motherboards are so archaic looking?

I mean, I know there's a very good possibility that you will have to replace it eventually, but still. They look like they are from the 80's (I know because I have a motherboard and RAM from the 80's).

It's a design that works, no need to change it lol