my honest opinion about gtx 970's.

hello, so as the title says its a review about gtx 970's not just one 970 but of various 970's. so earlier this month i went and purchased most of the required components to build a computer from NCIX which includes processor, motherboard, GPU, case and cooler(CPU). And the rest of the components from newegg.ca and directcanada.com(if u are interested in my components here's a linkhttp://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/2JpM23). so about a week later i assembled all the components and everything was perfectly fine and i began running some initial tests regarding the stability after i installed the OS. as soon as i launched fur mark i began to notice a very high pitched buzzing noise also known as coil whine (i was running a zotac card, stock zotac  no amp omega or alpha). so the next day i went to the store and exchanged it for a gigabyte gtx 970 windforce oc card which by the was looks beautiful. so i stared to do some stability tests and began to notice that it was running fine with a bit of coil whine in it and so i started running battlefield 4, it played fine for about 30 to 40 minutes  and the game crashed. as always i blamed dice and moved on played trine 2 it was running fine for about another 15 to 30 minutes and the game crashed, so i blamed the drivers and downgraded them to 344.xx drivers and started playing trine 2 again and the game crashed at this point i am convinced that it was the gpu's fault, kudos to your patience if you made it this far. so as i was saying i exchanged the card with another gtx 970 this time it being a beautiful looking msi twin frozr card. so far the card is stable and dead silent when idle. but under load it has a bit of coil whine, with especially this card some times u notice it because its dead silent, anyways it wasn't as bad as zotac's. so  to the conclusion be careful when buying a gtx 970, its an absolute monster for the price it sells for, but not at the cost of coil whine it produces. if your card has no coil whine you are very lucky as the 3 cards i owned had and has coil whine. i would recommend buying from a vendor like ncix or newegg,etc... which have at least a 15 to 30 days return policy, so if anything goes wrong you can return it with no problem like i did, kudos to ncix for their 30 days return policy on defective products

CPU: FX8320 @ 4.2GHZ, GPU: R9 390 PCS+Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, MotherBoard: ASRock 970 Extreme 3 r2.0, PowerSupply: EVGA 600b 80+Bronze, Storage: seagate Barracuda 1TB SSHD & Case: Corsair Carbide 200r

i will update the topic if this msi card shows any kind of troubles.

CPU: FX8320 @ 4.2GHZ, GPU: R9 390 PCS+Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, MotherBoard: ASRock 970 Extreme 3 r2.0, PowerSupply: EVGA 600b 80+Bronze, Storage: seagate Barracuda 1TB SSHD & Case: Corsair Carbide 200r

If you got 3 cards with coil whine then its not the cards, its your PSU.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

to the conclusion be careful when buying a gtx 970, its an absolute monster for the price it sells for, but not at the cost of coil whine it produces. if your card has no coil whine you are very lucky as the 3 cards i owned had and has coil whine. i would recommend buying from a vendor like ncix or newegg,etc... which have at least a 15 to 30 days return policy, so if anything goes wrong you can return it with no problem like i did, kudos to ncix for their 30 days return policy on defective products.     

Or unless you have a 400W PSU or something, get a 290/290X.

"Rawr XD"

well u have an excellent point but when i went to the store they checked if the card(s) has any kind of coil whine and the cards seems to have coil whine. so as far as the psu goes i think its fine its just the card.

yeah with all the problems i had, i was considering to jump to r9 series but i was concerned about the power usage so i sticked to the 970 series.

tldr

yeah i understand so for ppl who have no time for this i made the conclusion bold and chanced the size 

well u have an excellent point but when i went to the store they checked if the card(s) has any kind of coil whine and the cards seems to have coil whine. so as far as the psu goes i think its fine its just the card.

Just because it also had coil whine at the store too doesnt mean its the card. Many PSUs cause coil whine, but as many people have found, sometimes there is a PSU that will not cause coil whine. Afaik there is no specific brand or type of PSU that doesnt cause coil whine since every one is a little different, but there have been several cases where someone tries a spare PSU and it completely removes their coil whine.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just because it also had coil whine at the store too doesnt mean its the card. Many PSUs cause coil whine, but as many people have found, sometimes there is a PSU that will not cause coil whine. Afaik there is no specific brand or type of PSU that doesnt cause coil whine since every one is a little different, but there have been several cases where someone tries a spare PSU and it completely removes their coil whine.

how would u me to test the psu? cause i have no spare psu or neither do i have friends who have like a 500w psu they are all console gamers. 

how would u me to test the psu? cause i have no spare psu or neither do i have friends who have like a 500w psu they are all console gamers. 

idk...it would be useful to be like linus, with ten different PSU to test...:(

Spoiler

My 980 (which is basically a 970 with more cuda cores AFIA) doesn't whine much, for some reason it whines when I close Heaven but I don't hear it whine often...  It's just luck really.

Also, a little tip. Don't use FurMark to test stability, just because it's stable in FurMark it doesn't mean that it will be stable doing other things. I found that out when I was overclocking my card, got the memory to something stupid like (I don't remember the exact figure) 8.7GHz (effective obviously), ran fine in FurMark, went to test it in Heaven and it crashed almost instantly.

My 980 (which is basically a 970 with more cuda cores AFIA) doesn't whine much, for some reason it whines when I close Heaven but I don't hear it whine often...  It's just luck really.

Also, a little tip. Don't use FurMark to test stability, just because it's stable in FurMark it doesn't mean that it will be stable doing other things. I found that out when I was overclocking my card, got the memory to something stupid like (I don't remember the exact figure) 8.7GHz (effective obviously), ran fine in FurMark, went to test it in Heaven and it crashed almost instantly.

yeah it happens to me as well when i close valley benchmark it coil whines weird for some reason. yeah i learned it today while overclocking, but as far as the gigabyte card goes it was perfectly fine in heaven as well.

idk...it would be useful to be like linus, with ten different PSU to test... :(

yeah well i wish had ten psu's to test it, for now i will have to rely on what i have. 

yeah with all the problems i had, i was considering to jump to r9 series but i was concerned about the power usage so i sticked to the 970 series.

If you have a decent 500W or higher then you'll have no problem running a 290.

"Rawr XD"

970s have had lots of reported coil whine, OP's experience isn't that strange

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Coil whine goes away after 2 months.  problem solved.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

how does that work? 

how does that work? 

Its like a new pair of shoes, it takes awhile to break them in.

My EVGA GTX 780SC had some wicked coil whine.  It went away after 2 months.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Dude. He posted a pcpartpicker link. With a 600 watt psu in it...

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

I have my strix 970 for about two weeks now and I haver experienced zero problems

CPU: Intel core i7-4770 --- CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 --- GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix --- MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D --- PSU: Corsair AX860i --- SSD: Seagate 120GB --- HDD: Seagate 2TB + Toshiba 1TB --- ODD: Asus External DVD-R

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate --- Mouse: Logitech G602 --- Mousepad: Corsair Vengeance MM600 --- Monitor: LG 29UM65

Dude. He posted a pcpartpicker link. With a 600 watt psu in it...

Dude. It was sarcasm. I never asked him what PSU he had.

"Rawr XD"

Dude. It was sarcasm. I never asked him what PSU he had.

my bad...

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

I'm not sure you should be concerned. Most reviews of the 290/290x are using the AMD reference cooler, which makes a 290 use quite a bit more power than aftermarket cooling, and a lot more power than water cooling. the reference AMD cooler is a POS and can't pull heat away from the hawaii gpu fast enough, which means more heat, more resistance, more voltage required to overcome the resistance, and ultimately more power draw. The graph below is using the reference AMD cooler.

67931.png

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

970s have had lots of reported coil whine, OP's experience isn't that strange

It has been found that you can switch PSUs to remove coil whine. Not to any specific PSU though, its more like trial and error. The problem is not the GPU, but the GPU+PSU combination that causes coil whine.

Not always.

Spoiler

I'm not sure you should be concerned. Most reviews of the 290/290x are using the AMD reference cooler, which makes a 290 use quite a bit more power than aftermarket cooling, and a lot more power than water cooling. the reference AMD cooler is a POS and can't pull heat away from the hawaii gpu fast enough, which means more heat, more resistance, more voltage required to overcome the resistance, and ultimately more power draw. The graph below is using the reference AMD cooler.

=pic=

Also bear in mind, this chart is using TOTAL power usage, not the card only ( it is not aimed at you, but I saw people claiming that it is a 300W card....)

For the price( below GTX 970) and performance, they are surprisingly comparable cards, even 1 year old

I have my strix 970 for about two weeks now and I haver experienced zero problems

I have the same card, have coil whine

Arc Midi R2 | Asus Maximus VII Hero | Intel i5 4690k | Asus GTX 970 Strix | Corsair H80 | Crucial M4 128gb | 8gb 1333 Mushkin Silverline | EVGA G2 750

Filko Ninja TKL Cherry MX Black | Mionix Naos | Fiio e10k | Edifier S330D | Sennheiser HD558 | Blue Snowball | Asus PA238QR | Samsung BX2250