Finished a build for a friend a few days ago. The process went very smoothly in the Define R4 and I was really impressed with the quality and layout.
Just looking for feedback from you guys. Total from newegg was approximately $1700 after shipping. The pictures are a bit shaky and were taken before a few cables were overlooked were fixed with the H100i (radiator fans were plugged in to the CPU fam socket on the motherboard instead of the designated cable from the pump and the USB cable header was left out) this has been fixed since then. I also moved the fan in the front in to the upper slot to provide more airflow to the GPU. I may take some better pictures later but for now this is what I have.

Case      Fractal design R4
CPU       intel 4770k overclocked to 4.6Ghz

GPU       Asus Direct CU II GTX 770
MB         Asus Z87 Plus
Ram       8GB 1600mhz Corsair vengeance
Cooler    Corsair H100i
SSD       Samsung 840 250GB

HDD       Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm
PSU        Corsair HX850

post-30253-0-82805200-1371702818_thumb.jpost-30253-0-64620300-1371702823_thumb.jpost-30253-0-37799800-1371702827_thumb.jpost-30253-0-95676600-1371702830_thumb.j

PSU is a bit overkill. Everything looks good though.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

PSU is a bit overkill. Everything looks good though.

Never overkill, always room for expansion!

Nice cable management and good part selection!

Thanks a lot, I told my friend that a quality 650 watt would be more than enough but he wanted the 850 so he has the option to add a second 770 in the future.

Thanks a lot, I told my friend that a quality 650 watt would be more than enough but he wanted the 850 so he has the option to add a second 770 in the future.

He'd only really need a 750W for adding another 770. If he wanted another 2 cards then that PSU would be a good minimum.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

Sweet build and think ya m8 is pretty happy with the outcome of ya work

i7 4790K@4.5GHz-1.15V, BeQuiet! SR2, Asrock z97e-itx/ac, Kingston  Fury 16GB@1866MHz, GTX 670 2GB, 3x ssdNOW300V 300ishGB, Bitfenix Prodigy, OCZ ZT 750W Twittwit@enRodjavel

Yes he is ecstatic. Before this build he had been using a very old HP tower pentium dual core with a low end graphics card. So he is basically in PC heaven now. It was a nice feeling seeing him see it and use it for the first time know he can play any game he wants and will be happy with it for a good amount of time.

I pretty much built the same thing for my friend last week. Just a bit more expensive... Look at his build, I ran the front panel wires behind the mobo, make a much cleaner look:)

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/27978-build-for-a-friend/

CPU: Intel i7-3770k at 4.8Ghz  CPU Cooling: 320mm UT60  Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB 2133Mhz (2x8GB)  SSD: Intel 330 Series 120GB  HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Green  GPU: EVGA GTX 780 x2  Sound Card: Creative Recon3D  PSU: Raidmax RX-1000AE 1000W  Case: Arc Midi R2  Monitor: Benq XL2420T at 129Hz  OS: W8 64Bit  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate  Mouse: Logitech MX518  Mousepad: Steelseries QCK+  Headset: Turtlebeach X12 (Temp.)

Looks really nice, the mono PCB justs looks not good enough

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

Very nice build, that guy is gonna be one happy friend!

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Looks really nice, the mono PCB justs looks not good enough

what do you mean by mono PCB?

Nice and clean, the only thing that would bug me is the sleeving on those cables. Not everyone is as picky as me though.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

what do you mean by mono PCB?

i meant mobo

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

Nice build, very clean. Looks good.  :)

Yeah I would have preferred matte black PCB on the motherboard aesthetically as well but for his purposes he didn't really get any benefit from the extra features of going up to the Asus Z87 Pro. The larger chipset heatsink near the top also worried me with clearance issues with fitting the H100i above it as it barely fit with the smaller heatsink on this motherboard.

post-30253-0-75384800-1371845436.jpg

post-30253-0-14214800-1371845442_thumb.j

I like the new color of those boards.  it's cool to do this for your friend! I'm sure he is loving it! 

• 4 weeks later...

What was your voltage to get 4.6 on the 4770k? (Sorry for bringing up old thread)

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

It's no problem. The final voltage was 1.3v

• 2 weeks later...

Never overkill, always room for expansion!

Nice cable management and good part selection!

There is, efficiency is a problem.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Nice build, however if the top fans are exhaust i would change the back fan to intake. More fresh air for the H100i.