Is this a PSU fault or Mobo fault?

Pahddy

Today I started my PC as normal. I noticed after start up that there was some stuttering and a buzzing sound every 5-6 seconds that lasted for around 1 second each. I have a P8Z77-V LX2 and a crappy CiT 750w PSU (that I am hoping to replace soon). I could get a video when it happens next if you want.It is not the CPU because I got a 3570k today to replace my G2020 and the fault carried over! Thanks!

Well I would say replace the PSU with something better, and if the issues go away, then yeah the crappy power supply was the issue. If the voltage coming out of the power supply has some ripple in it, or is out of spec, then it can cause instability in your system.

I'm hoping to get a new PSU maybe tomorrow. The +12 voltage on this one has never been quite right, dipping down to 11.808v today I seen.

By "buzzing", do you mean coil whine or a low buzz? First check that no fans are hitting cables or the source to the sound (the bearings can make a buzzing sound when old and dry) by unplugging the fans. If it persists after that, try find where the sound originates from. If it is from the PSU, then it's most likely that. If not, then keep trying to track down where the sound comes from.

I use a Lenovo T440: i5 4300U, 8GB RAM, 128GB Samsung 840 Evo, 14" 900p display and an external 23" 1080p passive 3D monitor. Extended 6-cell battery with internal 3-cell. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (I only use open-source software -- haven't paid for a single program yet).

By "buzzing", do you mean coil whine or a low buzz? First check that no fans are hitting cables or the source to the sound (the bearings can make a buzzing sound when old and dry) by unplugging the fans. If it persists after that, try find where the sound originates from. If it is from the PSU, then it's most likely that. If not, then keep trying to track down where the sound comes from.

It is coming through the sound card, nothing physical found.

That's not too bad really. I'm more concerned about the stuttering that you mentioned than the buzzing.

They are linked. They only happen with each other. Not right on start up but during operation (around 10 mins after). My mouse is OK. I have scanned for Viruses and Malware but nothing worth noting found

Well it's definitely good that you checked those things in advance. I'd just replace that power supply then.

OK. Will do tomorrow then (if its still in the shop) with a Corsair Builder series 600w. This has been an ongoing problem but today it has been constant.