Core clock confusion

FunkyFeatures
Go to solution Solved by EMENCII,

MSI is the right one, unigine and 3dmark make confuson also with my 780, and you dont need to have MSI running to keep the OC, just hit the apply button and it will be fine...

Hey

Being kinda new to overclocking, this confused me. I use three programs. MSI Afterburner, Unigine valley and 3DMark Fire Strike benchmark.

MSI Afterburner says core clock is 1528, Unigine valley says 1670, 3Dmark says 1274. I trust MSI afterburner the most, but why does it do this?

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

First of all, if i get this right, MSI Afterburner needs to be running to have your overclock enabled.

The numbers for MSI Afterburner and Unigine seem to be margin of error and boost. 3D Mark either doesnt seem to recognise the overclock (getting default clocks from some sort of database) OR you closed MSI Afterburner completly thus disabling your overclock.

What graphics card are we talking about btw?

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

First of all, if i get this right, MSI Afterburner needs to be running to have your overclock enabled.

The numbers for MSI Afterburner and Unigine seem to be margin of error and boost. 3D Mark either doesnt seem to recognise the overclock (getting default clocks from some sort of database) OR you closed MSI Afterburner completly thus disabling your overclock.

Sounds like either a GTX 970 or GTX 980

We are talking about MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr

I do have MSI Afterburner running, it just minimises when i close it, so that the OC is always enabled.

I have experience similar things, with the laptop GTX 670m, but that was with kombustor.

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

Sounds like either a GTX 970 or GTX 980

Cookie for you good sir! :D

MSI is the right one, unigine and 3dmark make confuson also with my 780, and you dont need to have MSI running to keep the OC, just hit the apply button and it will be fine...

rig: i7 4770k @4.1Ghz (delidded), Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz, ROG Maximus VI Hero, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA GTX980SC, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Corsair SF600, self-built wooden Case, CoolerMaster QuickFire TK, Logitech G502, Blue Yeti, BenQ GW2760HS

Cookie for you good sir! :D

Only two cards can reach that by a beginner (sorry if you're not I just assumed) so I assumed it was one of them.

Same card as me! Card bros!

AND apply at startup, right?

The thing is, I am trying to overclock, and I seem to get no artifacts, but at around +215 the video driver crashes. The UniGine never tells anything but 1670, neither does 3dmark.

That is confusing.

Only two cards can reach that by a beginner (sorry if you're not I just assumed) so I assumed it was one of them.

Same card as me! Card bros!

yay! :D

AND apply at startup, right?

The thing is, I am trying to overclock, and I seem to get no artifacts, but at around +215 the video driver crashes. The UniGine never tells anything but 1670, neither does 3dmark.

That is confusing.

Doesnt matter if you arent getting artifacts if the driver crashes you need more voltage and youve just reached the limit your card can do.

Doesnt matter if you arent getting artifacts if the driver crashes you need more voltage and youve just reached the limit your card can do.

Whenever i add voltage, nothing happens. As in stability. And i wont play with voltage, don't want to burn this expensive hardware :) as long as i get 1500mhz or near that, I will be extremely happy.

Whenever i add voltage, nothing happens. As in stability. And i wont play with voltage, don't want to burn this expensive hardware :) as long as i get 1500mhz or near that, I will be extremely happy.

Easiest overclock of my life, add 150+ to core clock and 500+ to memory clock. If that runs fine do 200+ to coreclock.

I'm just worried that it is not stable since I can't see any artifacts even though I am close to 1500mhz.