ASUS 7970 Direct CU II temp issue

FLYTROX

Hey guys I would like your opinion on this matter.

About 4 months ago I bought this graphics card (ASUS 7970 Direct CU II) because my old one (xfx 6870) was running too hot and was too noisy. When I first got it I was happy with it and thought the temps are fine and what they are supposed to be. But now after using it for about 4 months I noticed this card can get a little hot aswell (heat was the main issue I sold my old gpu). It has gotten to the point where it is starting to annoy me, especially when my main goal was a cooler card. The driver says it idles at 52 degrees, and on full load it goes to 87 degrees sometimes. Asus claims it's 20% cooler and 14 db less noisy because of the direct cu ii design. So I started wondering why it gets so hot when they claim it is 20% cooler than the reference design. Then after looking at some reviews I noticed that in the reviews the cards idle at 32 degrees and go up to about 69 degrees on full load. It's in a Corsair 600t with allot of airflow so I highly doubt that that was the issue.

So my question is: what could be wrong with my gpu? Is this a justifiable reason to RMA? Anything I can do to help reduce the temps?

Any help would be mighty appreciated!

Try getting it replaced, if you succeed then see if the new card is cooler. Your card shouldnt be running that hot.

Try getting it replaced' date=' if you succeed then see if the new card is cooler. Your card shouldnt be running that hot.[/quote']

This. I've a DCUII cooler on my 680, the thing idles at 28° (with 2 monitors connected) and goes to 60 MAX under full load.

I know you shouldn't compare 2 different GPU's in terms of temps, but the cooler's exactly the same and performs way better.

Thanks alot guys! Anyone have experience with ASUS customer service?

It could just be the airflow in your case. Even though its a good case its always good to look at your airflow. Try looking at how your fans are positioned and where the air is moving. I've found that putting fans extracting air out the side where the graphics card is can help alot. It did with my 6970 D CU II temps. dropped about 15°C for idle. if that doesn't work then try sending it back. ASUS in Australia are Useless, well not useless but very, very slow. I can't speak for the rest of the world. I've heard they're pretty good in most places.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

After trying some stuff I disconnected my other monitor. After booting it today with only 1 monitor plugged in the temps were at 31 degrees on idle. Now i'm running dual monitors again and the temp is back at 49 degrees on idle. So I guess I can't do anything about it. It saddens me that it works this way though.

After trying some stuff I disconnected my other monitor. After booting it today with only 1 monitor plugged in the temps were at 31 degrees on idle. Now i'm running dual monitors again and the temp is back at 49 degrees on idle. So I guess I can't do anything about it. It saddens me that it works this way though.

your sad that two monitors stresses it more than one monitor.......it's okay I'm not mocking you,I'm upset that when the sun comes up it's sunny but when it goes down it's dark.....

as for the temps,do you have the fans set to 80-100%,because no matter how good a heatsink is its main advantage is the amount of fins as well as the surface area of the heatsink which allows it to dissipate more heat faster,though no matter how good it is it needs atleast 70% fan speed to cool a high end gpu effectively

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

You are mocking him -_- .

Be nice, it is surprising .

Thanks, I will look into it.

@mvitkun

What I meant was that it saddens me that having 2 monitors connected increases the heat so much. I would have expected it to be alot less.