Macbook Pro with a GTX 980 Setup Guide & Benchmarks [eGPU setup, Windows 10]

Firearm2112

@Firearm2112

I sent a PM to you

it regarding ThunderBolt and NUC

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

• 2 weeks later...

Any games you would like to see me benchmark?

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

One of star citizen modules and heavily modded skyrim would be a start, also does it work on the OS X side?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Wow, awesome project man, i had always wondered if this was a possibility.

Nice to see you pulled it off!

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

One of star citizen modules and heavily modded skyrim would be a start, also does it work on the OS X side?

It can, but I havent tried it out yet. Getting my eGPU to work on OSX is kinda a pain, and is not plug and play like on windows. I have to edit some files, get a custom bios for my card. I will try though

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Wow, awesome project man, i had always wondered if this was a possibility.

Nice to see you pulled it off!

Thanks!

That's awesome, I would love to do something like this with a 7770 at some point, (When I upgrade my main rig to a 970) maybe I'll pick up a used MacBook for travel in general and do that bit later

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

One question: I know that it's better to use nvidia cards, specially if you have a MacBook Air or pro without a discrete GPU because you can take advantage of the Optimus driver to use the internal display; but if you have a MacBook with a discrete gpu, can you use an AMD card?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

One question: I know that it's better to use nvidia cards, specially if you have a MacBook Air or pro without a discrete GPU because you can take advantage of the Optimus driver to use the internal display; but if you have a MacBook with a discrete gpu, can you use an AMD card?

In theory an AMD card would work with macs with and without dGPUs. Optimus just makes initial setup alot easier. It all comes down to what Mac you have, and what AMD card youd like to use.

I have a 2012 15" inch MacBook with nvidia 650m, and, after finally seeing the 960 in action, wanted to go with a r9 285 when Vidock finally releases the DIY GPU dock

I have a 2012 15" inch MacBook with nvidia 650m, and, after finally seeing the 960 in action, wanted to go with a r9 285 when Vidock finally releases the DIY GPU dock

Vidock is bad. They dont have proper licenseing rights from intel, so their docks have to convert mini pci signal to thunderbolt using a third party controller. this also means the speeds are bad.  get the adapter i have, it has the thunderbolt controller built in, and has the correct pattends. 

Vidock is bad. They dont have proper licenseing rights from intel, so their docks have to convert mini pci signal to thunderbolt using a third party controller. this also means the speeds are bad. get the adapter i have, it has the thunderbolt controller built in, and has the correct pattends.

I know that, I've been following them for more than year now, and before I decide I want to see the performance of their new V^2C interface which so far on paper sounds promising.

I know that, I've been following them for more than year now, and before I decide I want to see the performance of their new V^2C interface which so far on paper sounds promising.

Link please? I'd like to take a look at it. 

I just dont see how ViDock will ever manage full thunderbolt speeds, when Intel practically hates them and will never give them Thunderbolt controllers. They hate them because if Intel lets one company use its thunderbolt chips for external GPU devices, it would cannibalize their mobile CPU market. 

I just dont see how ViDock will ever manage full thunderbolt speeds, when Intel practically hates them and will never give them Thunderbolt controllers. They hate them because if Intel lets one company use its thunderbolt chips for external GPU devices, it would cannibalize their mobile CPU market.

They tried multiple times to get the dev kit from Intel and Intel has refused to give it to them every time, I'm starting to believe that that's also the reason why the MSI GUS 2 never went further from the CES show floor and why no more news were given from silverStone/Asus about the SG Station 2. That's why they are developing they're own solution with V^2C, they are saying that from V^2C to thunderbolt it will go at 1~2 Gbps, faster than doing it from mini pci, and since from their test mini PCI gave them 20~25% lower performance compared to a desktop, it's a pretty nice solution none the less, as long as they materialize it of course. Plus the cases designed by VI give a more elegant solution with the ability to also add external storage drive

This is actually quite interesting, I would like to do that with my mac, but did you have to install any software prior to installing the hardware? Also which pcie jumper did you use? I also want a setup with that.

PC Specs:
Mid-2017 Apple 15" MacBook Pro (i7/16GB/RP560) | Mid-2014 Apple 15" MacBook Pro (i7/16GB/GT750M) | Media/Gaming PC (Specs in Profile)

Audio Specs:
Shure SE846 |AKG N40 |Sennheiser IE80 |Sennheiser HD598 |Fiio E18 

This is actually quite interesting, I would like to do that with my mac, but did you have to install any software prior to installing the hardware? Also which pcie jumper did you use? I also want a setup with that.

As long as you have Windows on your Mac, installed though EFI, or bootcamp (bootcamp can get messy) Its plug and play. You install the graphics drivers from the manufacture's site once your booted with the card.

I am using a PSU jumper plugged into the mobo power connector. This is needed because a PSU cannot turn on if it dosent ground itself against a mobo or in this case a PSU jumper, which emulates the process. 

I am using an Ant Miner jumper. It can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/AntMiner-Supply-Jumper-Switch-Bitcoin/dp/B00NB2F9LY 

Singles can be found on ebay for 2-4 bucks. I bought two incase one of mine fails.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question regarding the bandwidth of the akitio vs the sonnet 3d.. The akitio is listed at PCIe 2.0 x4 at 5gbps however the sonnet does not list its PCIe specs but rather Thunderbolt bandwidth of 10/20 Gbps. Is the akitio slower as compared to the sonnet?

-thanks

I have a question regarding the bandwidth of the akitio vs the sonnet 3d.. The akitio is listed at PCIe 2.0 x4 at 5gbps however the sonnet does not list its PCIe specs but rather Thunderbolt bandwidth of 10/20 Gbps. Is the akitio slower as compared to the sonnet?

-thanks

The original Akitio has speeds of 2.0 4x, but I have the Two model, which has PCIe 2.0 x16 up to 20Gbps. The sonnet can do PCIe 2.0 x16. There basically  the same, yet the sonnet is so much more money and a bit prettier. 

Awesome, thanks for the reply..that was my primary concern. I'm going to go with the akitio, and probably a project box to house all the guts.

Awesome, thanks for the reply..that was my primary concern. I'm going to go with the akitio, and probably a project box to house all the guts.

awesome! good luck!

Sonnet and AKiTiO do both just provide PCIe 2.0 x4 bandwidth in a physical x16 slot.

Hey, do you think the r9 295x2 would work in the akitio? I Wouldn't care if it works in OSX but if it works in boot camp that would be cool. I know people that use the Titan z (dual gpu) and that runs fine. Would be interesting if I can throw that card in there.

Hey, do you think the r9 295x2 would work in the akitio? I Wouldn't care if it works in OSX but if it works in boot camp that would be cool. I know people that use the Titan z (dual gpu) and that runs fine. Would be interesting if I can throw that card in there.

Its an AMD card, so yes it would work, it would just be a little harder to configure, plus im not sure where you would put the rad, but theoretically it could work, although I wouldnt recommend it as you wouldnt get its full performance