Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
.deco.

Lil SoC: A new Little Build for my mother (Mini-ITX) (Short Duration)

Posted · Original PosterOP

Explaination of "Short Duration": as some people might know, my build logs always takes a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time (for example, I didn't finish "The rock" (AM2CPU board arrives in 2 months...)). This is going to take like one week, maybe even less (depends on how saturated is the reseller)

RBi8cir.png

Anyway, lets start:

This is a build just for browsing and videos... then you might ask:

Q:Why there isn't an SSD?

A: Well... my mother has and uses lots of files , for that I'd need a 512 GB SSD or a 64 GB SSD + HDD, but is way out of the budget.

Q: Why a SoC?

A: Why not? It also was under an special offer, and low power!

Q:Will you mod it? Anything special thing?

A:IDK, but most probably: No. The only special thing about this build is just: 1-Low Power, 2-Smaller than average.

C: I don't like it.

R: OK :), everybody have their opinions

SPECS (TL;DR COME HERE!!!)

If you don't like simple or cheap builds, this isn't your build :(

"*" Means that I'll reveal it in the pics when it arrives :P

-CPU: Intel Celeron J1900

-Storage: 1 TB HDD (Seagate)

-MB: Asrock Q1900B-ITX

-RAM: Crucial 4 GB DDR3 1333 MHz CL9

-Case: In win BM639

-PSU: In Win IP-AD160-2 (160 W 80+ bronze; 1x 4+4 CPU, 1x 24 Pin ATX (it isn't 20+4), 1x 4 pin molex, 3x SATA)

Peripherals aren't that important, but if you want to know there's a keyboard, a mouse and a BenQ GL2250HM

Soft and clean.

Nice ^^ what os will you install on that beast? May I recommend xubuntu or lubuntu? Or pclinuxos with lxde if you prefer the RHEL side of the force.

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

Nice ^^ what os will you install on that beast? May I recommend xubuntu or lubuntu? Or pclinuxos with lxde if you prefer the RHEL side of the force.

I'd do that If I could :(... but my mother resigns using others than Windows 7 -.-

Soft and clean.

I'd do that If I could :(... but my mother resigns using others than Windows 7 -.-

*sigh* I will cry for the souls of all the innocent megabytes of ram that will be cruelly murdered by that resource hungry os :(

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

*sigh* I will cry for the souls of all the innocent megabytes of ram that will be cruelly murdered by that resource hungry os :(

Well... at least it doesn't eat the whole 4 GiB :mellow:

Soft and clean.

Following because I'm also considering a Celeron J1900 for my parents...

Post benchmarks pls...

Following because I'm also considering a Celeron J1900 for my parents...

Post benchmarks pls...

Will do, Cinebench (for the cb post :P) and I can try any other benchmarks if you want

Soft and clean.

Will do, Cinebench (for the cb post :P) and I can try any other benchmarks if you want

CB R15 is enough for me... Unless you want to do Heaven, Valley, and Firestrike too..

GG, they didn't deliver in time (they close today at 14:00)... I guess I'll have to wait to 2nd January :/

mLihCj0.png

Soft and clean.

Package arrived. Wait some hours :P

pic where you can see the mb model :P

ANsQsZG.jpg

Soft and clean.

TEH MB

I can't use my "gud" camera... well... I can but I can't transfer photos (GG kodak for propietary cable that broke)

Shaky pics provided by my Olympus C-370

lKtnRlm.jpg

I/O. Dat shy HDMI is where I'll hook the screen

1hFCwkQ.jpg

Praise asrock for that weird dimms placement xD

cqD7ujQ.jpg

Now the worst part... gettin all in da case... Time to test tetris skills

Soft and clean.

LE CASE (inside)

We're gettin inside it... The first obstacle as you can see is that top metal square... That's a 5,25" bay, it's nearly all the case's size

4ufshRp.jpg

We must remove the front to take it off *boom*

Down in the left corner we see a little cage, there goes 2,5"/3,5" drives. If you're using a mITX case you can do a sandwich where you can put a 2,5" AND a 3,5" unit (HDD goes inside and 2,5" drive on the top)

...Aaaaand the strong spot of this case is at the right... that little brick is a 160 W PSU with 80+ Bronze certif... That's it! you can put a pentium and a GTX 750 in it!!!

7DYwjq5.jpg

I expected to be a PITA like putting a PSU in a bitfenix prodigy M... But It was a smooth ride! It's just tons of screws tho...

Anyway, dem routing skillz xD

Ik3LeeB.jpg

Soft and clean.

@DigitalHermit

As expected, it caused problems in fire strike :/, but there're sky diver, cloud gate and ice storm results http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/5361943

Looks like it'll do nicely as a low cost HTPC/Office PC...

Thanks...

Looks like it'll do nicely as a low cost HTPC/Office PC...

Thanks...

It's similar to an Asus EN210 I'd in my hands

Obviously it isn't for gaming, but does play videos and old games (GTA SA, Quake III, etc...)

Soft and clean.

It's similar to an Asus EN210 I'd in my hands

Obviously it isn't for gaming, but does play videos and old games (GTA SA, Quake III, etc...)

Might grab one if my laptop dies (for use in my dorm room)...

I've that mb in my HTPC/Game Server too!

There's a little nice thing for cable management, I think it was unintentional, but helps.

Usually in that kind of pcs you use HDMI, right? Well that's my case too.

If you look closely HDMI is just under 2 USB ports! Why so important? You can plug mouse and keyboard there and zip-tie the three cables leaving a neat fat cable :D

This is a signature.

I'm cleaning it after a year, obviously there wasn't a lot of dust inside but air still moves dust.
Anyway took some pics in higher resolution and quality because I don't people's eyes to bleed :P

It's a bit dirty cause of usage
ikDsIJS.jpg

As always cable management requires a bit of work, in this case I'd push all the cables in the same corner, for the button and LED cables I'd to take the PSU out to put them behind it so all that rainbow fest doesn't get through the middle of the case
6FypDaM.jpg

Soft and clean.

I'm cleaning it after a year, obviously there wasn't a lot of dust inside but air still moves dust.

Anyway took some pics in higher resolution and quality because I don't people's eyes to bleed :P

It's a bit dirty cause of usage

ikDsIJS.jpg

As always cable management requires a bit of work, in this case I'd push all the cables in the same corner, for the button and LED cables I'd to take the PSU out to put them behind it so all that rainbow fest doesn't get through the middle of the case

6FypDaM.jpg

How was the performance? any performance dips throughout usage?

Edit: This board dropped to 2500PhP this month... Too bad I still don't have the money to purchase it...

How was the performance? any performance dips throughout usage?

It's nice, no dips though she only surfs through the internet, YT, FB, Openoffice and MS games

Soft and clean.

If you look carefully at the last pic, you'll see that I've removed the top fan.

The reason is to measure temps at fully passive operation. Yes, the PSU has a fan but it's a semipassive unit.

Here are the results of full load temps after they reached their highest point and stabilized:

riIMepj.png

Soft and clean.