Computer is rather loud, even at idle

reincarnator

I have a 3570k and a Sapphire 4870 in an NZXT Phantom 410. All the fans are stock. However, even at idle, I can hear the fans over my mechanical keyboard. I use the software from my motherboard to turn the case fans off at lower temperatures. Is the intel stock HSF really that loud?

If the HSF is the culprit, are there any cheap (ideally <£30) coolers that you would recommend?

Semi related question: My GPU is at 55-56c at idle. Is this normal? MSI Afterburner says the fans are at about 23%

What fans do you use? They might be rated to high rpm.

All of the fans are the stock fans that came with the case, apart from the HSF that came with the processor and the stock cooler on the GPU. Like I said though, the case fans are turned off at idle.

Try disconnecting your case fans and see if that make a significant difference, if not, it's your heatsink.

A good cheap CPU cooler would be a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ or Hyper 212 evo, it's around £30

An even cheaper but worse performing cooler is the Arctic Cooling Freezer 13, it's around £20

"An Excellent Signature"

Look at your 4870, these can be loud as hell, my old one got his fan stuck at 60+%,

idk if it was fan control but the TIM was rly dried up and had many air pockets when i removed the heatsink,

it still worked fine but sounded like a leaf blower, it died like 3 months ago (I had it since these were released)

So try running on onboard video to see if the gpu is the culprit and if not go unplug every fan 1 by 1

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

Have a look at your PSU fan as well. I know my PSU is the loudest component in my PC.

Even if it isn't the Intel Stock heatsink (and you can tell just by unplugging it and see what it sounds like if it off, you aren't going to do any damage if its only for a few seconds), you should upgrade anyway. You have a K series processor, and you're obviously not overclocking it, that is a waste.

Cooler Master Hyper series coolers are the best price to performance.

You should get a new aftermarket heatsink if you have the money anyways because you bought a K series processor like Helltech said, no point of buying a K processor if you don't plan on over clocking it right? I recommend the Hyper 212 Evo because it is the heatsink that has the best bang for the buck. And about your noise, it could be your power supply or your gpu fan spinning fast...

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

To solve your problem for cheap I see 2 options

I prefer option 1 but it is only possible in certain scenarios, (beeing able to drill hole thru wall/floor)

option one

Buy usb and hdmi extentions (25ft should do)

drill hole thru wall/floor

put computer in another room, you wont hear it again, (leave comp always on(with sleep) or power on keyboard)

option 2

investigate and find the noisiest fan to replace

(cpu or gpu or even case fans)

(look for fans with a filter in front (sometimes that amplify noise 10x))

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

Check if the system is dusty. If that is the case buy a can of compressed air and the fans will probably become a bit quieter. Otherwise you just haft to buy new case fans and/or cpu cooler like suggested above.

Quit smoking near your PC! Get a 10mm paint brush and an air duster and get in there before it's too late.

I like the "move your PC to the other room and use a long HDMI cable idea".