wireless remote control for computer speakers

Hi guys,

I am looking around for some way to remote control my computer speakers. My speakers are hooked onto my 24" monitor, which has an audio out, and audio is fed in by hdmi from my Amazon fire stick ( prime member - got it super cheap when it was launched! ) and would like to lay back on my bed and watch movies/videos.
Unfortunately the fire doesn't do audio control, So I need wireless way to control my speakers. possible a cheap and over the counter solution, nothing DIY.

Any help would be appreciated !

Thanks ! 

If your tv remote cant't control the volume then there's nothing that can. 

urm ... I am not using a tv ... infact I don't own one either !

urm ... I am not using a tv ... infact I don't own one either !

Ah I thought the monitor was a tv. Either way there is nothing that does that. If the audio is coming from a computer and not the firestick, you could just get a wireless keyboard with volume controls. But the only solution here is to get a speaker system with a wireless remote. 

@sid5427 your post is now answered ^ :P you should probably follow your posts, so we dont have to tag you

317 is watching. 317 is everywhere. 317 is life.

Ah I thought the monitor was a tv. Either way there is nothing that does that. If the audio is coming from a computer and not the firestick, you could just get a wireless keyboard with volume controls. But the only solution here is to get a speaker system with a wireless remote. 

I mean like something that is sort of a 3.5mm bypass with wireless audio control ? My setup is pretty new so don't want to buy new speakers !

@sid5427 your post is now answered ^ :P you should probably follow your posts, so we dont have to tag you

I just woke up ! 

I mean like something that is sort of a 3.5mm bypass with wireless audio control ? My setup is pretty new so don't want to buy new speakers !

Like I said that doesn't exist. There's no money to be made by making something like that so no one does. 

well not really ... the fire stick comes with a basic remote .. basically without the voice function but everything else is the same.

Couldn't you just manually keep the speakers turned all the way up and then just use the FireStick remote to control the volume remotely?

I just woke up ! 

Ah, lol just making sure you see the post, as I assumed you're new here and didn't know to follow your posts

317 is watching. 317 is everywhere. 317 is life.

Couldn't you just manually keep the speakers turned all the way up and then just use the FireStick remote to control the volume remotely?

I don't think the firestick can control volume. I think that's why he was asking. I didn't see a volume button on the remote either. 

I don't think the firestick can control volume. I think that's why he was asking. I didn't see a volume button on the remote either. 

No it doesn't ... its the biggest issue with amazon's fire tv range of devices.

sigh .. looks like i'll have to get up all the time to adjust volume ! 

• 3 years later...

I am looking for the same. My setup is a cheap 27" monitor from AOC that's connected to an Apple TV via HDMI. And I have desktop speakers hooked up to the monitor's 3.5mm audio output jack.

Even though the AppleTV does transmit (digital) audio over HDMI, either Apple does not send the semi-standardized commands for volume control over the line or the monitor does not understand them - either way, I cannot control the volume from the AppleTV, and since it's not a TV but a monitor, it does not listen to a remote for volume control. The only way to control the volume is to use the knob on the speakers.

I want to find either new speakers that my AppleTV can control (which has an IR remote built in for this purpose in order to control a TV's volume) or some other "potentiometer" like hardware to plug into the analog audio line between monitor and speaker.

What I found was this: http://emerythacks.blogspot.de/2013/03/adding-bluetooth-remote-control-to.html

It's a DYI system that does exactly that, although it's controlled via Bluetooth, not via IR. I'll now look into building a similar solution using one of the many RasPi I have laying around here - exactly the kind of answer I wished I'd find in a linux forum, instead of close-minded answers claiming "it doesn't exist and can't be done, so just give up". ;)

Also, googling for "infrared volume control" turns up some promising near-ready-to-use solutions.