How much longer does 1080p have?

Guest andyysplash

Like I said, it depends on screen size and viewing distance. I think for the majority of living room setups 1080p is always going to be sufficient. I don't even mean "adequate", I mean "literally you will not be able to tell the difference".

Use this site it helps a lot http://isthisretina.com/

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Use this site it helps a lot http://isthisretina.com/

Right. So according to this calculator a 40 inch 1080p TV is retina at 153 cm. So if you're sat any further than 62 inches/1.5m you get no benefit from any higher resolution. So a 40" screen at this resolution and a 60" screen at 4K appear about the same at this distance. Thank you for the tool to quantify my point :)

Which is what I see resolution coming to mean from a media consumer point of view in the future. Instead of being the mark of visual fidelity, it'll will be a way of matching your content to your living room.

Now this makes sense.  at 12 feet from the TV 1080 and 4K wouldn't make a difference it becomes retina.

A generic term that doesn't take into consideration how good each individuals eyesight is. 

Using your theory, you shouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 1080p phone (say, an S5) and an iPhone's retina screen - many will be able to tell you there is a small difference, most noticeably with text. 

However, you've then got to take into account whether or not the content scales properly. 1080P looks better on a native 1080P screen than a 1440P screen of the same size and equal distance.

Using your theory, you shouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 1080p phone (say, an S5) and an iPhone's retina screen - many will be able to tell you there is a small difference, most noticeably with text. 

The difference is the difference between retina as a concept for the limit of a resolution's purpose, and Retina as an Apple marketing gimmick. Between a 1080p smartphone and a 1440p smartphone you really can't tell the difference.

A generic term that doesn't take into consideration how good each individuals eyesight is. 

However, you've then got to take into account whether or not the content scales properly. 1080P looks better on a native 1080P screen than a 1440P screen of the same size and equal distance.

Of course a native resolution looks better on a panel that has that resolution.

you make a valid point but you don't at the same time, real retina not Apple retina see this site http://isthisretina.com/ but maybe you have really good eyes, Linus didn't make a difference between the LG G3 and the HTC one M8.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Right. So according to this calculator a 40 inch 1080p TV is retina at 153 cm. So if you're sat any further than 62 inches/1.5m you get no benefit from any higher resolution. So a 40" screen at this resolution and a 60" screen at 4K appear about the same at this distance. Thank you for the tool to quantify my point :)

Which is what I see resolution coming to mean from a media consumer point of view in the future. Instead of being the mark of visual fidelity, it'll will be a way of matching your content to your living room.

Yep resolution doesn't mean everything, you reach a point where it makes no difference between a higher resolution and the one your using, also not related but higher resolution in games doesn't mean how good the game graphics is, see this video to understand

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

The difference is the difference between retina as a concept for the limit of a resolution's purpose, and Retina as an Apple marketing gimmick. Between a 1080p smartphone and a 1440p smartphone you really can't tell the difference.

It depends on the screen size. If the PPI are the same, then no, but if you're comparing a 1080p 6 inch phone to a 1440p 5.5 inch phone, then there is a noticeable difference. Even a 5.5 inch screen of both resolutions has a difference (not as noticeable, but text looks sharper).

I don't think it's ever going away. For PC use 1440p and 4K, and other different aspect ratios are going to continue to be a thing, but 1080p isn't going to stop being a standard because it's a standard for media content.

And, unlike previous standards, this is actually a good one. Unless you have a ridiculously big TV in a ridiculously small room you won't notice anything more than 1080p. (Unless you're sitting very close to it, as you do with a PC monitor which is why 1440p and 4K are very good PC standards.) In fact I read a thing a while ago about 4K in cinemas and it reached the conclusion that even for a screen the size of a cinema screen in a room the size of a cinema only the first few rows get any benefit of 4K over 1080p.

So I don't think HD is going anywhere. It will just be one of many standards, instead of the standard.

And 1366x768 still makes sense if your screen is tiny. I don't think that's going anywhere either. Until we're at the stage where your OS will just keep everything the same size and we can just throw 1080p, 1440p, 4K at everything and text will just get smoother instead of smaller, 768p will remain standard on cheap laptops.

Yup, from 10 feet away you would need an 80 inch plus tv at 4k tell even the difference over 1080p.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

I jumped on the 4k bandwagon shortly ago. IMO 1080p can die. I love 4k. I personally use a 28" 4k monitor. So much room for productivity, and everything is oh so sharp. I have no issues with the way windows/etc scales at all, but I've also got younger/good eyes (laser eye surgery FTW!).

I also had the opportunity to use a 65" 4k TV the other weekend. While the difference wasn't nearly as noticeable as going from a 21.5" 1080p monitor to a 28" 4k monitor, I certainly noticed a difference overall compared to 1080p. I'm not going into specifics as that could be debated/etc all day.

Long live 4k!

Never say it's not broken. Everything is broken. Why? Because everything needs MOAR POWA!

I don't think 1080p is ever going anywhere, at least for the next 5-8 years, Until windows fixes the scaling problem

SNIP

I agree with you completely.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

And 1366x768 still makes sense if your screen is tiny. I don't think that's going anywhere either. Until we're at the stage where your OS will just keep everything the same size and we can just throw 1080p, 1440p, 4K at everything and text will just get smoother instead of smaller, 768p will remain standard on cheap laptops.

1366x768 is a disgusting resolution that does not scale well into anything. I would take 720p over 1366x768 any day.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

1366x768 is a disgusting resolution that does not scale well into anything. I would take 720p over 1366x768 any day.

Assuming everyone uses their work laptops for consuming media and not for, you know, work.

Assuming everyone uses their work laptops for consuming media and not for, you know, work.

If you going to force a resolution on people that is not 720p and is intended for work then use 1440x900, you still get to say its more than 720p but its has a real benifit unlike 1366x768.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

I think realistically until consoles can do 1440p no problem. 720p is still considered HD by companies who sell programing so. Until consoles and everyday tv is 1080p, there isn't much incentive to move away from that yet. It's why I shake my head when people get obsessed over 4k on up when the content isn't really all there yet on a mainstream scale.

And what makes you think any lazy console person is going to go and buy a 27" 1440p monitor to use their console with? Lol

To my knowledge there are no mainstream or even many 1440p TV's, which is what 95% of the console market most likely uses with their console.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

And what makes you think any lazy console person is going to go and buy a 27" 1440p monitor to use their console with? Lol

To my knowledge there are no mainstream or even many 1440p TV's, which is what 95% of the console market most likely uses with their console.

It's not even lazy. Someone buying a 1440p TV for their living room, if such a thing existed, would be deliberately giving themselves a blurry, interpolated experience for the entirety of the rest of their media-viewing experience. No element of this is desirable.

If you going to force a resolution on people that is not 720p and is intended for work then use 1440x900, you still get to say its more than 720p but its has a real benifit unlike 1366x768.

1440x900 exists, I don't understand how anyone is "forcing" anything on you.

For word, excel and powerpoint 1366x768 is sufficient. It's crap for multitasking, but so is everything below 1440p tbh.

It's not even lazy. Someone buying a 1440p TV for their living room, if such a thing existed, would be deliberately giving themselves a blurry, interpolated experience for the entirety of the rest of their media-viewing experience. No element of this is desirable.

1440x900 exists, I don't understand how anyone is "forcing" anything on you.

Im saying that if they are going to use a res that is not 720p then use 1440x900 which is better than 1366x768 for work in every way.

Im saying that if they are going to use a res that is not 720p then use 1440x900 which is better than 1366x768 for work in every way.

I know you are. And I'm saying that I really don't care and for word documents it makes no difference whatsoever.