How many PCIe lanes do I actually have and bottlenecks.

Go to solution Solved by WinNut,

So what if I place 2 graphics card in SLI/Crossfire, which will split the 16x slots into 8x/2x, and I wish to add in an additional card like a wireless card (not really sure how many slots that take up), would it be further splitting the 16x slots or would it be taking additional slots from the chipset?

Z77-blockdiagram.jpg

This diagram is for Z77 but the concept is the same. 

So here's how it works:

From your CPU, you get 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes. These go to the x16 slots on your motherboard, and are used for driving the GPU because the graphics processor needs a high-speed link to the processor. These lanes will split up between the other full length slots but only when the other full-length slots are occupied.

The PCIe x1 slots get their lanes from the chipset, and are separate from the PCIe lanes that supply the GPU(s). So if you insert a wireless card into the x1 slot, it'll get the lane from the chipset and not from the CPU's lanes.

Hi all,

This just something I've been wondering. The mainstream intel CPUs, in this case the i5 4690k and i7 4790k, both have a maximum of 16 PCIe lanes. So if I put a single graphics card in a 16x PCIe lane, wouldn't I be using all the available lanes? If that is the case, won't SLI/Crossfire be impossible? I know this is not the case of course, but this question has been bothering me for a while. 

When you put a second GPU in, the slots will share the 16 lanes with each other in an x8/x8 configuration. However, performance loss at an x8 connection is negligible at best.

These are not to be confused with the PCIe x1 slots, which get their lanes off the chipset.

Nvidias cards in SLI run at 8x/8x. The performance difference is so minor it isn't worth mentioning. Crossfire can run down to 4x.

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Like @WinNut said - once you add another graphics card, the 16 PCIe lanes will be divided evenly between both cards giving them each 8 lanes. There will be no performance degradation despite the bandwidth literally halving; this is because there is still PLENTY. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

So what if I place 2 graphics card in SLI/Crossfire, which will split the 16x slots into 8x/2x, and I wish to add in an additional card like a wireless card (not really sure how many slots that take up), would it be further splitting the 16x slots or would it be taking additional slots from the chipset?

Z77-blockdiagram.jpg

This diagram is for Z77 but the concept is the same. 

So here's how it works:

From your CPU, you get 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes. These go to the x16 slots on your motherboard, and are used for driving the GPU because the graphics processor needs a high-speed link to the processor. These lanes will split up between the other full length slots but only when the other full-length slots are occupied.

The PCIe x1 slots get their lanes from the chipset, and are separate from the PCIe lanes that supply the GPU(s). So if you insert a wireless card into the x1 slot, it'll get the lane from the chipset and not from the CPU's lanes.

SLI (Nvidia's variant for graphics cards working in tandem) will operate no lower than 8x/8x. If you have a motherboard whose chipset (eg Z97) supports PCIe 1x, then you have nothing to worry about.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

the chipset will be the one to support the expansion cards

but i depend on the mobo that you picked

this are reserved for more expensive models

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.