entering the audiophile world

wolfgang

i see. did not know that. maybe i should just wait then.

Personally, you could just grab Q701, be daring and then mod the headband and do a bass port mod. Viola, you get somewhere around 3-5 db bass boost, making them sound like K7XX (which is called K702 annie).

You'd definitely need an amp though if your on-board isn't optimized to drive insensitive headphone (not high impedance, AKGs are only 62 ohm, but harder to drive than 300ohm sennheisers)

I'm getting a AKG K550 in a few days and I'm hoping it's the perfect headphone for me because I still haven't found one that I think is perfect. Also want to try the Shure 1540. 

K550 got a bit of awkward position on my head. It got weak clamp force that didn't seal very good. When it's half-sealing, it sounds literally like shit, to me. When I pressed it to get a good sealing, only then it'd sound good. Perhaps it's designed for big/western heads, I dunno....

I ordered the q702. it will be here on the 23rd. So now i have to wait.

Thank you for the help everyone.

Blarg

The HD650 is on sale for $309 right now on proaudiostar. Get that and the Modi/magni, you will be set for a long time, just my $.02.

K550 got a bit of awkward position on my head. It got weak clamp force that didn't seal very good. When it's half-sealing, it sounds literally like shit, to me. When I pressed it to get a good sealing, only then it'd sound good. Perhaps it's designed for big/western heads, I dunno....

Haha well I have a huge head so I doubt I'll have that problem. 

I am looking to get some new headphones for at home and step into the audiophile world. I listen to a mix of music but mostly rock and watch lots of shows.

Looking for a set of headphones and amp if it needs it at $500 range total or less.

I was looking at the akg k702. http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Reference-Quality-Open-Back-Circumaural-Headphones/dp/B001RCD2DW

If you are buying headphone like akg q702..you need a DAC and an AMP,there is no doubt in that no matter how expensive the motherboard,look at this link for reviews on best dac and amp

http://www.reddit.com/r/Zeos/comments/2dk7la/guide_dacs_headphone_amps/

If you are buying headphone like akg q702..you need a DAC and an AMP,there is no doubt in that no matter how expensive the motherboard

Care to provide some justification for that statement?

What a shame; it'd be fun to watch you try.

OK if that is how you want to play this,I know the fact that amp and DAC sounds better than PC built in DAC from watching videos and reading articles from real audiophiles who give actual comparisons between the two and I used to own a Asus xonar soundcard which I thought was great at first but after trying out schiit modi+smsl sapII amp completely blown the Xonar away..now what is your justification?..lol

OK if that is how you want to play this,I know the fact that amp and DAC sounds better than PC built in DAC from watching videos and reading articles from real audiophiles who give actual comparisons between the two and I used to own a Asus xonar soundcard which I thought was great at first but after trying out schiit modi+smsl sapII amp completely blown the Xonar away..now what is your justification?..lol

The highest end motherboards like the maximus rampage wont need amp, they already have a higher quality dac and amp than general motherboards

The highest end motherboards like the maximus rampage wont need amp, they already have a higher quality dac and amp than general motherboards

If its only as good as xonar stx soundcard i think i will pass

Try this fun experiment: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/271346-midweek-crisis-different-amps-different-sounds/

Ignorance is a bliss

Seriously,what a piece of shit forum this is..everyone thinks they are better than the other...can someone tell me how to delete my account...that would be great help

Who needs objectivity when you can be self assured about your subjective experience that only applies to you with disregard to the science of the matter.

Seriously,what a piece of shit forum this is..everyone thinks they are better than the other.

One that would respect other members' posts, just because it's FiiO E6 doesn't mean it's the end of the world. There are other amps in the list, so why didnt you try listen to those test first. I tried and was able to pick slight difference between the 2 solid state with significant difference between aune T1 (tube amp) and the other solid state, with warmer more rumbly bass (which is a signature tube amp sound).

Seriously,what a piece of shit forum this is..everyone thinks they are better than the other...can someone tell me how to delete my account...that would be great help

Who's forcing you to be here? 

One that would respect other members' posts, just because it's FiiO E6 doesn't mean it's the end of the world. There are other amps in the list, so why didnt you try listen to those test first. I tried and was able to pick slight difference between the 2 solid state with significant difference between aune T1 (tube amp) and the other solid state, with warmer more rumbly bass (which is a signature tube amp sound).

That's my initial purpose for that topic/test. It's not to push/prove that an amp won't give different sound, or vice versa. It's 'you be the judge for yourself, with your own equipment, and your own ears. Do they sound different or not, and if they do, by how much, and is it worth the extra money?'

The files are prepped and ready to be loaded to Foobar, and tested with the ABX plugin.

Well, apparently not many people understand though...

this thread, wonderful read

keep it up boys

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089