Someone tried to reinvent the keyboard (101touch , The new generation of keyboard)

ahhming

A  Kickstarter project have turn up for a keyboard that can be completely customized to suit whatever you are doing at the time. Unlike traditional  keyboard that has been around for a long time, this one doesn't have physical key . It appears to be one large touchscreen surface that connects to your PC. The upside to having a keyboard made from a touchscreen surface is that it can be completely customized with ease for whatever you are doing from typing, to editing video or music, to gaming. You can have all these custom keysets to suit your mood and programs stored digitally.

The keyboard is running on an Android platform and would be compatible with just about any OS out there from Linux to Windows. It would also work in BIOS and MS DOS as well.

69a52bd80e9420bc4eb37c134e7d6f0f_large.j

8f1d055398b0798d332976c96e5d4882_large.j

367c8c49acd7d105a175f8eb40b70912_large.p

The project is seeking £180,000 to come to market and has raised £45,717. A pledge of £99 or more will get you a 101touch keyboard by November 2015. All of the images here are renderings but the team says it is working with manufacturers on a prototype already.

To me i think its a will be a great secondary keyboard and wont replace my main keyboard as there is none of that tactile feel most of us love with normal keyboards.

specs:
Display: 18.3"  with 150 ppi
Processor: ARM architecture
Internal memory: 16GB
Connectivity: USB, bluetooth
The keyboard has its own battery.

*UPDATE
they are currently  negotiating with Senseg   which will provide haptic feedback.
http://senseg.com/

Funding Canceled
Funding for this project was canceled by the project creator on January 9.

source:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/620560346/101touch-the-new-generation-of-keyboard

Certainly an intersting idea, and I would like to play a around with one. However, I would never give up my regular keyboard for it.

I know how it feels to type on a tablet, and it's nowhere near as good as a normal keyboard. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

mechanical keyboard > this shiz

but for 99 pounds it's a cool gadget.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

A. People rage while gaming, i see lots of broke KBs

B. People need to feel for the keys to know they are on the right one, atleast i do

C. How are people supposed to rest there hands on the keys? Are they going to have to hover over the keyboard?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Touch screen? what about my keytravel? tactility? actual definition between keys?

And really, I don't want my board to change all the time. Surely having the keys in the same place across everything is better?

Like I know where all the keys are, I don't want to have to think "oh I'm in Warcraft mode its in x, now I'm in DJ mode so its moved to y"

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

C. How are people supposed to rest there hands on the keys? Are they going to have to hover over the keyboard?

I'll be touching to many keys because a rest my wrist on the keyboard

Because he had a hard drive.

typing on touchscreen is just not comfortable. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

no working concept? lol

by nov 2015? lol

another kickstarter scam

A wonderful idea! I don't think it would make much sense for gamers or hardcore users, but the average consumer will probably be happy (if they ever figure out how to use it).

Unfortunately, it's on Kickstarter and doesn't have a working prototype yet. 0 faith.

I can't see it replacing the traditional keyboard, but I am interested in seeing this used as a hotkey pad for gaming with a controller. 

I think this is a terrible idea. Typing requires the tactile feel, quick response, and the definitive buttons to know what you are pressing.  The only things that I can see this being useful for are if you want a touchscreen on desktop to edit photos or play angry birds (do people still play that game?).  

As the classic saying goes "If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it".  wait, it's "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE and I mention that this is a HORRIBLE idea?

Why? Because you can't touch type on this kind of keyboard. Not only that, but the lack of tactile feedback feels horrible. Do you have a tablet? Bring up the keyboard and try placing it on a table and write something using both hands. It would be more comfortable to stick your hands into an industrial grade fryer, right? Want to play WoW? Oops I accidentally popped all my CDs because my stupid keyboard can't differentiate between a button press and me just wanting to rest my hand.

The only thing I can see this being useful for is very specific programs where it would be useful to have additional controls and those controls have some visual queues. For example maybe a slider in some music program. For gaming, everyday typing or essnetially any other program I think this is vastly inferior to a regular keyboard.

Its a cool idea but I would have to test it myself to see if it's worth it.

\/Specs\/

Xeon E3 1230 V3-Maximus vi hero-2x4gb G skill RipjawsX 2133-EVGA supernova-1 tb seagate-Samsung 840 EVO 1TB-NZXT H440-EVGA 6Gb 780 Razer-Blackwidow Ultimate-Corsair M65

MSI Ghost Pro GS60 

I really like the idea, but it's not for me. I'm sure most of the general population would love something like this, but let's be honest, you won't be doing any real typing on one of these things. 

I average at about 110 words per minute with MX blues and ~80 with a decent non-mechanical keyboard, I can't imagine how low it would be on something like this. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

this shit is trying to reinvent the wheel, it ain't going to happen, i hope it crash and burn, this shit has no reason to exist

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

lol typing on a touch screen is shitty. There's a reason they make bluetooth keyboards for tablets.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Because people who use keyboards don't hate touchtyping...

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

This would be cool to have as functions, buttons for things like Photoshop, Premiere, Resolve, and Lightroom.

Mount it above the keyboard and an angle so you can see it and it would be a great extra.

I hate typing on a tablet let alone this thing...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x  GPU: ASUS Strix rtx 2080 Super RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8gb x4 PSU: Corsair HX850i Motherboard: ASUS Strix x570-E Storage: Samsung 840 pro, Samsung 970 evo 1tb nvme, segate 2tb Case: NZXT H510I Cooling: Corsair h100i

I wouldn't mind it. Maybe a pen for photoshop, add ability to add macros (with onboard memory) and other features would really work for it. Definitely wouldn't call this a keyboard killer. Would be its own sorta thing.

B. People need to feel for the keys to know they are on the right one, atleast i do

You could always take up piano and learn how to memorize spatial differences rather than textural ones, like this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj9QlWltv8s

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I can't even type on a phone without getting my fingers mixed up. Without being able to feel the keys, this would prove to be very ineffective. I'd probably get frustrated and break it.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

palm recognition and or digitizer gloves.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

You could always take up piano and learn how to memorize spatial differences rather than textural ones, like this guy:

-snip

I play piano and it does nothing for my ability to type of virtual keyboards. In fact, I can't even play a virtual piano on my ipad. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.