reason for building a PC

Go to solution Solved by ZmanFTW,

The BEST reason for building a PC:

An estimated 50 million tons of E-waste (electronic waste) are produced each year. The USA discards 30 million computers each year and 100 million phones are disposed of in Europe each year. The Environmental Protection Agency estimates that only 15-20% of e-waste is recycled, the rest of these electronics go directly into landfills and incinerators (Wikipedia). Professor Huo Xia tested 165 children for concentrations of lead in their blood. 82% of the Guiyu children had blood/lead levels of more than 100. Anything above that figure is considered unsafe by international health experts. The average reading for the group was 149 (Wikipedia).

Average life expectancy of computer devices (mostly due to heat)

PC can last as long as you want it to because you can do a much better job cooling AND because ALL parts can be replaced.

Notebook 3 to 5 years - Quite a few parts can be replaced but many users don't realize when the little fan(s) stops spinning how important it is.

Tablet 2 to 3 years

Smartphone less than 2 years (21 months average)

E-waste wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_waste#Amount_of_Electronic_waste_world-wide

Guiyu, China:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_waste#Electronic_Waste_Dump_of_the_World:_Guiyu.2C_China

I suppose there will always be those who don't care about any of this.

Just be honest..

that's the problem, I was already trying to be honest and already got a negative reaction.

they just want to hear practical reasons like "it'll improve my productivity by 100%" or whatever else they want to hear, which of course I won't say if it's not true anyway

hetalia__philippines_profile_by_putobing

LOL Hetalia! pretty funny stuff, didn't know there was a Philippines character there (since I only watched the first season or the first few episodes I don't remember)

although it doesn't really describe me, since I'm in the minority here (since majority, or 70-80% of the population is composed of poor people who reflect the attributes of Filipinos that are more or less known to the world.

LOL Hetalia! pretty funny stuff, didn't know there was a Philippines character there (since I only watched the first season or the first few episodes I don't remember)

although it doesn't really describe me, since I'm in the minority here (since majority, or 70-80% of the population is composed of poor people who reflect the attributes of Filipinos that are more or less known to the world.

tumblr_mm8lylWg1a1rylmy3o1_500.gif

Because he had a hard drive.

Video Editing. Going into Television therefore... It's needed/ I can game on it :3

actually I'm also a video editor myself, though not a paid one yet (but I wish I was since I really love video editing)

it's still a 50/50 reason for my folks since they just want me to focus on law school

Our first computer was dying, as well, my parents fully support me in pursuing tech. After my parents got fed up with out old computer, (probably 1999) they gave me $2000 to build a computer that would last a long time. That year (2009) I build my current system "Quantum".

CPU: Intel i7-8700k 5GHz @ 1.35v | Cooling: EK Predator 360 | MotherBoard: ASUS z370-E | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb 3200MHz (4 x 8GB) | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 TI OC

Case: Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra Modded side panel | SSD: Samsung 512gb 960 Pro | HDDS: 3TB Segate 7200rpm / 4TB HGST 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA G3 1000w | Display:ASUS VG248QE 24" / HP 25" 2511x / SAMSUNG 35" TV

Ex HDD: 3TB WD MyBook USB 3.0 | Keyboard: Rosewill MX Blue / Corsair K70 Red | Mouse: Logitech G602 | OS: Windows 10 64-bit Home Premium

Our first computer was dying, as well, my parents fully support me in pursuing tech. After my parents got fed up with out old computer, (probably 1999) they gave me $2000 to build a computer that would last a long time. That year (2009) I build my current system "Quantum".

possibly the best case scenario ever

possibly the best case scenario ever

ya it really was, I don't know if I would have my computer today if they did not support me or let me build my computer.

CPU: Intel i7-8700k 5GHz @ 1.35v | Cooling: EK Predator 360 | MotherBoard: ASUS z370-E | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb 3200MHz (4 x 8GB) | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 TI OC

Case: Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra Modded side panel | SSD: Samsung 512gb 960 Pro | HDDS: 3TB Segate 7200rpm / 4TB HGST 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA G3 1000w | Display:ASUS VG248QE 24" / HP 25" 2511x / SAMSUNG 35" TV

Ex HDD: 3TB WD MyBook USB 3.0 | Keyboard: Rosewill MX Blue / Corsair K70 Red | Mouse: Logitech G602 | OS: Windows 10 64-bit Home Premium

If you're already in deep water with your parents, I'd get a cheap laptop now and then save up your own money until you can build a PC of your choosing.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

When I first built this PC it was because I had been playing Starcraft Brood War for 9 years and Starcraft 2 was coming out

An estimated 50 million tons of E-waste (electronic waste) are produced each year. The USA discards 30 million computers each year and 100 million phones are disposed of in Europe each year. The Environmental Protection Agency estimates that only 15-20% of e-waste is recycled, the rest of these electronics go directly into landfills and incinerators (Wikipedia). Professor Huo Xia tested 165 children for concentrations of lead in their blood. 82% of the Guiyu children had blood/lead levels of more than 100. Anything above that figure is considered unsafe by international health experts. The average reading for the group was 149 (Wikipedia).

PC can last as long as you want it to because you can do a much better job cooling AND because ALL parts can be replaced.

Notebook 3 to 5 years - Quite a few parts can be replaced but many users don't realize when the little fan(s) stops spinning how important it is.

Tablet 2 to 3 years

E-waste wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_waste#Amount_of_Electronic_waste_world-wide

Guiyu, China:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_waste#Electronic_Waste_Dump_of_the_World:_Guiyu.2C_China

i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3 1866 @ CL9, ASUS GTX 780, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, WD Black 1TB x 2, EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W, BenQ XL2420TE 24" 144Hz @ 1080p, CM Nepton 280L, Noctua Industrial IP67 2000RPM 140mm PWM Fan x 6

Tablet 2 to 3 years

Smartphone less than 2 years

E-waste wiki:

Guiyu, China:

even if you used wikipedia, this by far is the most "professional sounding" argument I saw! thanks for that!

even if you used wikipedia, this by far is the most "professional sounding" argument I saw! thanks for that!

You are very welcome. I started off not using Wikipedia because I did a paper in college on this topic...but it always helps to see a couple sources. The average life expectancies of different computer devices can be separately Googled very easily, but I just averaged out the results I found. So a little knowledge can go a long way if you spread the word! It may be BIG and NOT mobile but every PC builder helps cut down the electronic waste and most of them probably don't even realize it!

i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3 1866 @ CL9, ASUS GTX 780, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, WD Black 1TB x 2, EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W, BenQ XL2420TE 24" 144Hz @ 1080p, CM Nepton 280L, Noctua Industrial IP67 2000RPM 140mm PWM Fan x 6

why build a custom? because I don't like being ripped off at all, so best buy and allienware were out of the question.

not to mention my dad probably would've grounded me if I bought a prebuilt

you mean like slowly building up the PC?

Yes...build it slowly...at the end you'll have a bad ass PC...spare parts which will help you troubleshoot...and when something stops working you'll have replacement for that part...or with the old parts you can build another low end pc and use it as a secondary pc or whatever..

Tablet 2 to 3 years

E-waste wiki:

Guiyu, China:

I care, I rather have people in my neighborhood give me their PCs so that I can properly dispose of them so any of that does not happen. People do not realize what metals are actually inside of a computer, many these metals can be quite toxic like lead. People are just not well educated enough and will throw anything into the garbage without thinking. Hell, one time one of my friends found a dual socket Mac Pro in the dumpster because it was "Broken" we tracked it down to a dead Ram stick, Replaced it and found out it had 12 cores total at around 3.0 Ghz. Can't remember what the processors were tho :/ but it shows that we will throw anything into the garbage as long as they don't have to deal with it anymore.