How Bad is LED?

bsaid97
Go to solution Solved by othertomperson,

All display are LED, LCD. LCD creates the image, LED is the backlight. TN isn't great though. Get an IPS instead.

Anyone who comes to a thread about monitors and recommends a 144hz G-Sync IPS panel immediately outs themselves as not knowing what they're talking about.

Ignore people insisting that you buy products that don't exist. Cheap TN monitors are horrendous and awful. Good ones are good. A TN G-sync monitor will give you as smooth a gaming experience as money can buy right now, so enjoy it. The colour accuracy is not 100%, but it's damned close. It's only worth considering if you're in professional content creation where you need an absolutely accurate monitor to ensure uniformity of your creations. I'd also recommend it for surround/eyefinity where slight differences between them become very noticeable. Horizontal viewing angles are generally fine. Vertical not so much, so if you're mounting this on a wall above you, or looking down on it from another storey then IPS would serve you better. But honestly who the hell does that with a PC monitor?

All monitors are LED.

It's TN it's bad, get xl2420g if you want g-sync.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

All monitors are LED.

All 144hz monitors are TN, and I wouldn't call TN bad. My BenQ XL2411Z is pretty good -- not as good as my Dell P2414H, but certainly not bad. 

Asus VG248QE and BenQ XL2411Z are better options (if they're not significantly more expensive). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

All display are LED, LCD. LCD creates the image, LED is the backlight. TN isn't great though. Get an IPS instead.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

It looks like a decent display to me. Provided you're OK with TN panels (I am) for gaming and general use. IPS panels provide a MUCH nicer picture.

All monitors are LED.

Problem with that is that its another 200 pounds more. 

All 144hz monitors are TN, and I wouldn't call TN bad. My BenQ XL2411Z is pretty good -- not as good as my Dell P2414H, but certainly not bad. 

Asus VG248QE and BenQ XL2411Z are better options (if they're not significantly more expensive). 

Yeah, and TN have the best response times, it's just that the viewing angels are bad and colours not perfect, but not bad either.

Problem with that is that its another 200 pounds more. 

You will be just fine with a TN. Pretty sure that is what I have on my laptop and the colours are ok. Everyone told me to get a IPS monitor and I got an MVA and I love it. Types of panel only matter if you go dual monitor and you need good viewing angles.

Anyone who comes to a thread about monitors and recommends a 144hz G-Sync IPS panel immediately outs themselves as not knowing what they're talking about.

Ignore people insisting that you buy products that don't exist. Cheap TN monitors are horrendous and awful. Good ones are good. A TN G-sync monitor will give you as smooth a gaming experience as money can buy right now, so enjoy it. The colour accuracy is not 100%, but it's damned close. It's only worth considering if you're in professional content creation where you need an absolutely accurate monitor to ensure uniformity of your creations. I'd also recommend it for surround/eyefinity where slight differences between them become very noticeable. Horizontal viewing angles are generally fine. Vertical not so much, so if you're mounting this on a wall above you, or looking down on it from another storey then IPS would serve you better. But honestly who the hell does that with a PC monitor?

Ignore people insisting that you buy products that don't exist. Cheap TN monitors are horrendous and awful. Good ones are good. A TN G-sync monitor will give you as smooth a gaming experience as money can buy right now, so enjoy it. The colour accuracy is not 100%, but it's damned close. It's only worth considering if you're in professional content creation where you need an absolutely accurate monitor to ensure uniformity of your creations. Horizontal viewing angles are generally fine. Vertical not so much, so if you're mounting this on a wall above you, or looking down on it from another storey then IPS would serve you better. But honestly who the hell does that with a PC monitor?

I never said get 144Hz IPS. They don't exist. I myself would prefer 60Hz, IPS over 144Hz TN. Just my opinion.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Actually, LCD does not mean it is LED.

It needs to specifically state "LED" for it to be LED, otherwise the monitor uses something called CCFL, which uses glass tubes filled with gas to produce light. These are thicker than LED monitors and are an older technology, from before LED was introduced.

All LED monitors use LCD, but not all LCD displays use LED backlighting. :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Actually, LCD does not mean it is LED.

It needs to specifically state "LED" for it to be LED, otherwise the monitor uses something called fluorescent backlighting, which uses glass tubes filled with gas to produce light. These are thicker than LED monitors and are an older technology, from before LED was introduced.

All LED monitors use LCD, but not all LCD displays use LED backlighting. :)

Thanks for the correction.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

I never said get 144Hz IPS. They don't exist. I myself would prefer 60Hz, IPS over 144Hz TN. Just my opinion.

OK, then don't pretend you are even attempting to match the specifications of the OP's example. And don't pretend that your personal preference is anything but that.

All monitors are LED.

TN isn't bad, the color reproduction on the xl2420g and viewing angles are still great. Bad TN monitors exist, but it doesn't mean that every TN monitor is bad.

OK, then don't pretend you are even attempting to match the specifications of the OP's example. And don't pretend that your personal preference is anything but that.

Monitors are a matter of preference. I was giving my opinion. No need to be an asshole about it.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Monitors are a matter of preference. I was giving my opinion. No need to be an asshole about it.

I'm not being the arsehole here. OP asked for consumer advice in choosing a monitor. You completely ignored the specs they were looking at, expressed your own opinion and preferences as undeniable fact and did it in a deliberately misleading way.

I'm not being the arsehole here. OP asked for consumer advice in choosing a monitor. You completely ignored the specs they were looking at, expressed your own opinion and preferences as undeniable fact and did it in a deliberately misleading way.

I answered his question. He wanted to know if LED monitors were bad. After that I gave him my opinion, on  what kind of monitors I personally like. That's it, I didn't mislead at all. 

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

TN isn't great though. Get an IPS instead.

This is what I take issue with. OP made it clear that they were interested in G-Sync, they made it implicit that they wanted high refresh rate. Your advice was unhelpful.

This is what I take issue with. OP made it clear that they were interested in G-Sync, they made it implicit that they wanted high refresh rate. Your advice was unhelpful.

Sorry, I worded it incorrectly. I should've said I prefer IPS. Apologies.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

"How bad is the topic title" is the question ? ;)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE