looking for some opinions (POLL)

madscientist56

"The average man does not want to be free, he simply wants wants to be safe" - H.L. Menkin

If you HAD to pick a side to this statement which would you choose, just looking to see what the majority of people think, this is for my English class.

I know most people will want to say neither or both but that's not an option please try to pick one.

also i'm not trying to start a heated debate here.

Thank you all  :D

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

This is bullshit - you're oversimplifying a complex situation to the point of no longer adding anything to the discussion.

my goal isn't to start a discussion, its to see what the majority of people think, i'm writing an essay on it and I had to choose one

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

Both because fuck your over simplification. Freedom does not mean you must sacrifice safety and vice versa. 

To me it feels like the choices are either pure anarchy or pure totalitarianism.

Slap your English teacher for me.

Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Steam | Twitch | YT | Build

Freedom, I don't want to rely on anybody for my own safety, which is why I have firearms. 

If I chose safety, I wouldn't be able to have my firearms and I would have to wait for the police to show up, which is not a very good idea.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Freedom, I don't want to rely on anybody for my own safety, which is why I have firearms. 

If I chose safety, I wouldn't be able to have my firearms and I would have to wait for the police to show up, which is not a very good idea.

What kind of shooty mcflooties you got? I want to get a pistol but you have to be 21 where I live to purchase them.

What kind of shooty mcflooties you got? I want to get a pistol but you have to be 21 where I live to purchase them.

Remington 870 12 Gauge, Savage Mark II F .22, Savage Fox Model B 12 Gauge double barrel. 

I don't have a pistol because I believe you have to be 21 to buy one and 18 to carry; I'm 16.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Remington 870 12 Gauge, Savage Mark II F .22, Savage Fox Model B 12 Gauge double barrel. 

I don't have a pistol because I believe you have to be 21 to buy one and 18 to carry; I'm 16.

All those weapons for a 16 year old. I just want a pistol for home defense because I'm not much of one for range play as I have agitation issues with loud noises and at my local range every single person brings massive .357 magnums and shit that about ring my ears through the noise dampening headphone things.

Also I think we derailed the thread.

Why the fuck can you carry a pump action shotgun, but not a pistol at 16? What?

More to the point, why can you even carry any firearm when underage?

Why the fuck can you carry a pump action shotgun, but not a pistol at 16? What?

More to the point, why can you even carry any firearm when underage?

You need to be at least 18 to carry any firearm without the supervision of an adult.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

The quote is stating that the "average" man wants to be safe and holds this as a priority over free. I don't know much on Menkin but a quick wiki look and I see he is admirer of Friedrich Nietzsche, which can explain his position a lot.

The point he is making is that the majority are sheep. It's actually interesting that the majority in this poll think that the majority of "average" men care about freedom over safety; I imagine many of them are American. Globally, the value for "freedom" is perhaps not quite so high. Also, I assume that the freedom Menkin is taking about is less to do with American perspective of "freedom" and and more to do with Nietzsche's idea of freedom, which is freedom from the herd. The herd obey social contracts, abide by laws and submit to the herd in order to keep the peace and have safety; it's a daring man that goes against the grain and walks away from the safety in numbers, perhaps even goes against them.

I don't know Menkin well, but I know Nietzsche. Its important to note the word average. You can teach the average and majority to value "freedom" but they are just obeying conformity, they have no idea what freedom is.

Hope that helps.

"Those who give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor saftey." - Benjamin Franklin
thats all I need to say

SHAMEFUL DISPRAY

My answer would depend on either:

How unsafe am I if I choose Freedom?

Or

How oppressed am I if I choose Safety?

I got sent to prison after following Linus' instructions to #Makebombs

Forum's resident nihilist.

A JRPG just wouldn't be a JRPG if it didn't end with teenagers using the power of friendship to kill God.

Like most said it's oversimplified, but i get your point, & My answer is split , meaning it depends, safety wihout freedom is like locking yourself in a prison, freedom without safety is an open invitation to war because we as humans are not meant for peace, we're living in a convoluted illution that we're good & to protect that "good" we can do anything we want to justify our "good" actions, but it takes a different perspective to see things selflesly.. Both can't exist without eachother but the situation you painted does exist in our current world.

Details separate people.

I assume this is relation to the cowardice spawned from a certain fat Korean due to the timing of such a question. Safety doesn't exist if you sacrifice freedom for it, it's artificial at best, hallow at worst. Being on edge isn't safety in the slightest, there's more dignity to die in the name of freedom vs let others dictate what's for your own good. Otherwise, what's the point in living?